Bullpen 2024

I mentioned this in the game thread, but I can't figure out Keegan Akin's role on this team. He's a failed starter who doesn't have the stuff to be a setup man or closer. His strength is that he can give you bulk innings out of the pen. He's TJ McFarland. Last night Akin was on five days of rest, and Irvin couldn't complete the fourth inning (not exactly something that should have taken Hyde by surprise). Seems like just the spot for Akin, right? But Hyde pitches Nick Vespi, Dillon Tate, and Matt freaking Krook ahead of him, with Vespi and Krook combining to turn a winnable 5-2 game into an 11-2 blowout. Akin pitches a completely meaningless ninth inning. Not only is Akin not first in line, he's not one of the first two lefties in line, so you can't say Hyde was scared off by the Rangers' righty bats.

In 2022, Akin averaged around two innings per appearance pitching 81.2 innings in 45 games to a 122 ERA+. In 2023 the O's tried to make him more of a high leverage guy, averaging less than one inning per appearance and he was exposed to the tune of a 60 ERA+. He's bounced back this year, but after last night I don't know what the Orioles are doing with him.

4 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I mentioned this in the game thread, but I can't figure out Keegan Akin's role on this team. He's a failed starter who doesn't have the stuff to be a setup man or closer. His strength is that he can give you bulk innings out of the pen. He's TJ McFarland. Last night Akin was on five days of rest, and Irvin couldn't complete the fourth inning (not exactly something that should have taken Hyde by surprise). Seems like just the spot for Akin, right? But Hyde pitches Nick Vespi, Dillon Tate, and Matt freaking Krook ahead of him, with Vespi and Krook combining to turn a winnable 5-2 game into an 11-2 blowout. Akin pitches a completely meaningless ninth inning. Not only is Akin not first in line, he's not one of the first two lefties in line, so you can't say Hyde was scared off by the Rangers' righty bats.

In 2022, Akin averaged around two innings per appearance pitching 81.2 innings in 45 games to a 122 ERA+. In 2023 the O's tried to make him more of a high leverage guy, averaging less than one inning per appearance and he was exposed to the tune of a 60 ERA+. He's bounced back this year, but after last night I don't know what the Orioles are doing with him.

It was really just the first half of '22 that Akin was good. The bottom line is, he is not to be trusted. Last night was going to be a tough game no matter what. Hyde made the decision to go clinch the series win in game 3. Essentially, the entire game last night was treated as a low leverage game since we had already won the first three.

9 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Good post, it was pretty weird. You would think a couple of Akin innings to keep it 5-1 would have been just the ticket in that spot. 

My guess is Hyde was hoping to save Akin for high leverage with Kimbrel not available. It did not work out.