Gunnar Henderson 2024

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh I know the bit.

That wasn't what I was confused about.  I wasn't sure why you were making the reference in the first place.

It's all good.

There seem to be some parallels with the aristocrats joke.  I was just being a smartsss.

4 minutes ago, G54377 said:

You're right that they bought the team and traded their best player (even if in hindsight it looked like the right move frugal or not). I don't know much of the Marlins ownership. I suppose it can happen, I'd like to believe this new Orioles ownership is NOT that. If the new Orioles ownership plans to do what the crappy Marlins ownership has done, this is all moot anyway. If they aren't going to spend any money, talking about what contract we are comfortable giving Gunnar is a dead argument from the start.

I don't think he will at this stage in his life.  I'm expecting a payroll around 20th.

I will say that Marlins purchase was the type a Private Equity guy would make.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Come on!

You asked what "new ownership group of a sports franchise would come in and immediately want to be frugal and plan to get rid of their best player in the not so distant future"

I gave you an example that was less than a decade old and somehow that's not good enough?

They bought the team with leveraged money and skimmed profits off to pay it off.  From day one the plan was to "be frugal and plan to get rid of their best player".

How could you want a better example of exactly what you said wouldn't happen?

In context, as it applies to GH, I doubt Rubinstein wants to come in like the Marlin's ownership group and be known as the guy who let Moby Dick get away.

38 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I saw the film with Provenza and had never even heard the joke until I saw GG on YT. Hilarious how he turned the audience around.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you have evidence showing the Yankees win MVPs they don't deserve over say the last 25 years?

The Judge MVP was very defendable.

I think he was implying that giving it to a non-Yankee was preferable just because we like sticking it to the big evil empire.

But to answer your question, the last MVP that went to an undeserving Yankee was Mattingly in 1985, who won it over George Brett, Rickey Henderson, and Wade Boggs.  Even without looking at traditional stats Mattingly was clearly inferior to those guys; the only stat he had over them was RBI.  Henderson was a Yankee at the time so clearly it wasn't entirely Yankee bias that gave the award to Mattingly, more just a case of a misunderstanding of what makes a player valuable.  Just by looking at traditional stats I would have expected Boggs to take that one.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

MVP?

His defense is better than judge, and he plays a more premium position, and he’s not a Yankee.

They're surprisingly close offensively.  Judge gets a decently large boost to his counting stats by playing in the short porches of Yankee Stadium.  1/2/3 in offensive runs are Judge, Shohei, and Gunnar.  Gunnar overtakes them because of his defense and positional adjustment, which is significant (around 1 win between Gunnar and Judge, around 1.5 wins between Gunnar and Shohei) but all three of them are hitting so much that it's not a huge percentage of their overall contributions.

7 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I think he was implying that giving it to a non-Yankee was preferable just because we like sticking it to the big evil empire.

But to answer your question, the last MVP that went to an undeserving Yankee was Mattingly in 1985, who won it over George Brett, Rickey Henderson, and Wade Boggs.  Even without looking at traditional stats Mattingly was clearly inferior to those guys; the only stat he had over them was RBI.  Henderson was a Yankee at the time so clearly it wasn't entirely Yankee bias that gave the award to Mattingly, more just a case of a misunderstanding of what makes a player valuable.  Just by looking at traditional stats I would have expected Boggs to take that one.

Good pull but that was 40 years ago.

Last 25 we have Judge and Arod who had a pair of 9 win seasons.  I don't think a big market bias is there for awards anymore.