Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But those were based on something.  His isn’t based on any news.

Well, I don’t know who these tweeters are, but we do have Elias openly saying that Mayo is ready for a call-up.   So there’s that.  

• Upvote 1

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Urias does have a .793 OPS since the end of April.  That isn't exactly killing us.  

No, he isn't killing us.  But if getting value for him is what is preventing Mayo from being called up, then I'm ok with moving on from Urias without getting 'value' for him.  I'm not saying that IS the situation, just saying I wouldn't let that stop me if so.  

• Upvote 1

I couldn’t help myself, I checked the replies and that guy on Twitter is saying it’s a rumor from the Mayo family but didn’t say where and he said it’s not anyone verified. So absolutely wouldn’t put any stock in that. 

That said - I do see some logic here if there are a string of LHP coming up. Send Cowser to AAA for some more regular ABs, get Mayo up for the LHP and buy some time. Mullins plays CF and maybe Mateo is the backup CF or starts there vs the LHP (with Mayo 3B and Westburg 2B).

The trade deadline is in 3 weeks. If they are committed to trading Urias, they could call up Cowser after the minimum AAA stint and DFA Urias, and then IIRC the DFA period to trade Urias is something like a week and would run through the trade deadline. They’d lose some leverage in trading him after a DFA, but that way they’ll know they will either get something for him then or there just never would have been enough demand across the league to move him. 

Posted (edited)

Seems logical with the lefties coming up. It's time. Get him a taste before the AS break, temporarily option someone, then make a deal at the deadline to jettison someone like Urias. 

Edited by interloper

25 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I couldn’t help myself, I checked the replies and that guy on Twitter is saying it’s a rumor from the Mayo family but didn’t say where and he said it’s not anyone verified. So absolutely wouldn’t put any stock in that. 

That said - I do see some logic here if there are a string of LHP coming up. Send Cowser to AAA for some more regular ABs, get Mayo up for the LHP and buy some time. Mullins plays CF and maybe Mateo is the backup CF or starts there vs the LHP (with Mayo 3B and Westburg 2B).

The trade deadline is in 3 weeks. If they are committed to trading Urias, they could call up Cowser after the minimum AAA stint and DFA Urias, and then IIRC the DFA period to trade Urias is something like a week and would run through the trade deadline. They’d lose some leverage in trading him after a DFA, but that way they’ll know they will either get something for him then or there just never would have been enough demand across the league to move him. 

We have the best inside the Mayo family source there is.  @Roy Firestone have you heard anything about an imminent Coby Mayo promotion?

8 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

Sounds like there might be rumblings that tomorrow could be the day!

Cowser is the only passable CF on the team behind Mullins.  I don't see Cowser being sent down even this his drop off since April. Unless they're going to try Mateo out in CF when Mullins isn't playing.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cowser is the only passable CF on the team behind Mullins.  I don't see Cowser being sent down even this his drop off since April. Unless they're going to try Mateo out in CF when Mullins isn't playing.

I still think Mateo can play a passable CF against lefties. 

• Upvote 2

This made me laugh. 

I’m seeing tweets about the rumor that he’s being called up but nothing from anyone reputable, either. 

I would think it has to be soon.  But I also can see a Gunnar ‘22 scenario in which they call him up late and he retains rookie status for the following season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The sad thing is the Nationals gave their fans an entire weekend for James Woods. We will announce like 1 PM tomorrow. We have 3 games vs LHP this week and there’s an easy way to start Mayo 4-5 times this week.

22 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

The sad thing is the Nationals gave their fans an entire weekend for James Woods. We will announce like 1 PM tomorrow. We have 3 games vs LHP this week and there’s an easy way to start Mayo 4-5 times this week.

The Nats really don't have much to play for this year other than to have a prospect like James Wood come up.  

We're in the middle of a race for the division and need to make a deep playoff run.  I really don't care if Mayo comes up on the road or at home, as long as he's in the lineup and gets a chance to rake.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I agree, except for the 'gotta find a taker for Urias'.  We should NOT refuse to improve the team just because we can't unload Urias on someone.  Sure, I'd MUCH rather trade him and get some value for him.  But if no one wants him or isn't willing to give us anything for him, I'm not keeping Mayo in the minors just because I'm not willing to cut Urias.  Trade him IF we can, cut him if we must.  But let's get Mayo's bat in the lineup.  

The prospect traded for Urias is likely to be so low rated that all but the most rabid fans of the team he is traded to will have never have heard of him.