Dean Kremer 2024

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Again, if they really thought Suarez was ace-like they would have demoted Kremer to the bullpen or found a way to keep him in the rotation. 

There's a ton of space in between "he's ace-like / he's a 6 inning shutdown starter" and "he's a total fluke." It doesn't have to be one or the other. 

Anyway, I hope they go with Povich because I'd like to see him get a big league shot. Plus, we need a long-man reliever during this busy stretch and Suarez is the best candidate for that role. 

Just now, DirtyBird said:

They took Irvin out of the rotation after allowing 2 runs over 4 starts. You aren’t really making a point.

Yes, I am.  They don’t consider either to be as good as they’ve looked in a good, albeit, short run.   

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

There's a ton of space in between "he's ace-like / he's a 6 inning shutdown starter" and "he's a total fluke." It doesn't have to be one or the other. 

Anyway, I hope they go with Povich because I'd like to see him get a big league shot. Plus, we need a long-man reliever during this busy stretch and Suarez is the best candidate for that role. 

Sure, DirtyBird said they would find out that his first two starts were a fluke.  That’s not news.  He did not say what he expects.  I guess we’ll find out what that is.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Where did anyone suggest he was ace-like?

You said his first two starts were a fluke.  His first two starts were shutout appearances.  That’s ace-like.   What’s your point?  He won’t be that good?  Lol

8 minutes ago, Spakman said:

What choice did they have? They have so many starting pitchers or used to at least. Do you think they were throwing means in the bullpen. Or Bradish.

If they thought they could count on Suarez to give a quality start or better every time out, hell yeah.   Means to the bullpen.  Kremer to the bullpen.  Whoever to the bullpen.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If they thought they could count on Suarez to give a quality start or better every time out, hell yeah.   Means to the bullpen.  Kremer to the bullpen.  Whoever to the bullpen.

You can never have enough starters...we lost two starters already...and Im pretty sure we may lose another..or two by the end of the season.Inuries change EVERYTHING.

14 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If Bradish reinjures himself we got a big problem.

It would suck. The only upside I could probably find is that we'd likely not be competing for a WS title so they might give extended looks to some of the kids and hope for next year. It would be a bummer to have wasted 2 players on Burnes, but it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Right triceps strain doesn't sound too bad, no? Means injury sounds worse, doesn't it? Asking those who understand arm injuries better than me (which would be most). 

Correct, seems like they expect this to be a short stint for Kremer.  Means is getting a second opinion on his elbow, which is never a good sign. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Correct, seems like they expect this to be a short stint for Kremer.  Means is getting a second opinion on his elbow, which is never a good sign. 

Ugh, that is definitely bad news.

At least the way I've understood it, the reasoning behind the strategy of drafting position players in the early rounds is that if you spend early picks on pitchers you take on the risk of wasting them because, even if the talent is there, injuries are more likely to derail pitchers' careers. They all get broken, or something like that. So you build up a system that produces good position projectts, and then, when the team gets good, you put together a pitching staff through trades, free agents of various kinds, the waiver wire, etc. 

One problem with that approach is that when injuries do occur to the pitchers you've brought in, you're not likely to have a lot of talent at AAA for reinforcement. Norfolk is first in the 20-team International League in runs scored and has given up the fifth most runs. 

On 5/24/2024 at 4:52 PM, RZNJ said:

Yeah, sure.  What game have you been watching for the last hundred years? They’re gonna move established veteran starters to the bullpen for a guy that’s pitched a couple of good games. And one of those starters is coming off injury. Not gonna happen. That doesn’t mean he can’t start and be effective. It just means there wasn’t currently a spot for him

13 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Yeah, sure.  What game have you been watching for the last hundred years? They’re gonna move established veteran starters to the bullpen for a guy that’s pitched a couple of good games. And one of those starters is coming off injury. Not gonna happen. That doesn’t mean he can’t start and be effective. It just means there wasn’t currently a spot for him

I guess you missed the point, which isn’t surprising.