Dean Kremer 2024

I think that’s a wrap on Kremer’s regular season, as he’s on turn for Game 162 but probably will be passed over to line him up for Wild Card Game 3.   

Kremer’s ERA+ was down from 99 to 92 this year, but in my opinion, he made some strides.  He developed a split-finger pitch that could be really nasty at times, and used it 18.4% of the time, essentially substituting it for the change-up he threw 12.3% of the time in 2023.   His xwOBA on the splitter was .246, compared to .319 on the old change-up.   

We saw the best version of Kremer down the stretch, throwing to a 2.98 ERA, 1.15 WHIP in his final 8 games, during which he allowed only three homers.  I think we could see more of that version of Kremer in 2025.   And hopefully, we get that version this postseason.  

• Upvote 1

Kremer's a good Gibson.    It has kind of entrenched watching Elias bolt together a good team that in the Driveline era, almost all pitchers are on a spectrum somewhere between Kyle Gibson and Felix Bautista.     If you could put 13 Felix Bautistas on a playoff staff, you would but we aren't quite there yet though Driveline and club labs are working on it every year.

Even missing some time this year, since joining the rotation for good 6/5/2022:

-Dean's 427.2 innings are 26th MLB-wide.

-Dean's ERA is 3.85.

-The pitchers with more innings and a better ERA are Gerrit Cole, Sonny Gray, Kevin Gausman, George Kirby, Zack Wheeler, Zac Gallen, Dylan Cease, Chris Bassitt, Luis Castillo, Framber Valdez, Logan Gilbert, Corbin Burnes, Aaron Nola and Logan Webb.    Just them.

Those 2.5 seasons also coincide with BAL having the AL's best record.

It doesn't mean I feel I have the edge if ALDS Game 5 at Yankee Stadium is Dean Kremer v. Carlos Rodon, but he's someone I enjoy having on the team.     Have to figure he is a growth mindset and skill acquisition champion considering he volunteered in podcast that as a prep, he was like 5-6 and 130 pounds.

• Upvote 3