Heston Kjerstad 2024

Sports Guy

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do we know that more strikes are called balls versus balls that are called strikes.  I think you would need to know that before concluding that the robó ump is better for hitters.  In ML games I see plenty of pitches on the line or inside the box that are called balls.

I think it’s safe to assume that the closer the ball is to the strike zone the higher % of strikes will be called.  

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I think it’s safe to assume that the closer the ball is to the strike zone the higher % of strikes will be called.  

The robo ump is not supposed to miss calls.  My question is “Isn’t it possible the real umps are calling a lot of pitches outside the zone for strikes that would be balls”?    If that is equal to the pitches that real umps now call balls that would become strikes then it evens out.

To assume the robó umps are better for hitters you’re assuming that more balls would be called by robó umps versus real umps.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:15 PM, RZNJ said:

Do we know that more strikes are called balls versus balls that are called strikes.  I think you would need to know that before concluding that the robó ump is better for hitters.  In ML games I see plenty of pitches on the line or inside the box that are called balls.

We absolutely know that incorrect umpire calls favor pitchers, if Ump Scorecard is at all reliable.  

• Thanks 1

International League player of the week.  Duh.

HESTON KJERSTAD, 25, had a historic week for the Tides. In game one, he went 3-for-5 with two home runs and four RBI. During a game two 26-11 win, Kjerstad recorded a franchise record 10 RBI while going 5-for-7 with four RBI, two doubles, and two home runs. During game three, he went 2-for-4 with a home run, three RBI and a walk. He hit his sixth home run in four games during game four, knocking in four more RBI. He became the first hitter in Orioles affiliate franchise history to have four straight games with at least three RBI.Kjerstad currently leads the International League in slugging (1.026), OPS (1.548), hits (18), RBI (25), and extra-base hits (10) while also ranking in home runs (T-1stwith Kyle Stowers, 6), runs (T-2nd, 13), average (3rd, .462), on-base percentage (6th, .522). He had 32 RBI in 76 Triple-A games last season.

https://www.milb.com/en/norfolk/news/kjerstad-povich-win-player-and-pitcher-of-the-week

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

Santander’s replacement in 2025 is looking great. I wonder how much playing time he’ll get on the MLB roster in 2024? Cowser is off to a good start and is the likely Hays replacement. As others have noted, kind of tough to see where Kjerstad plays as long as Hays is on the roster and Santander and Mullins are healthy.