Colton Cowser 2024

13 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

His xSLG is 70 points higher than it actually is, his OBP is still .330, and Fangraphs has him as the 2nd most valuable OF’er defensively in the MLB. 

Unlike Mullins, his expected stats are still strong and show that he’s just been hitting into bad luck. 

Agreed, his defense has been way better than expected. He's still probably a starting OF as long as Mullins and Hays struggle. And if he lands at .763 overall I would be fine with that level of production. Still disappointing that he followed up his 1.000 April with a .600 May. June could be a big month for him. Otherwise we may see more Hays vs LHP or even Kjerstad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, his defense has been way better than expected. He's still probably a starting OF as long as Mullins and Hays struggle. And if he lands at .763 overall I would be fine with that level of production. Still disappointing that he followed up his 1.000 April with a .600 May. June could be a big month for him. Otherwise we may see more Hays vs LHP or even Kjerstad.

It’s a game of adjustments. He was great in April, and pitchers have started attacking him differently in May. Hopefully he adapts to force them to keep changing it up. He seems at his best when he gets some hits the opposite way and get his confidence going. 

I liked his AB’s tonight. Didn’t really chase at all and made hard contact. Moved Westburg over to 3B as well to get him there with 1 out in his 1st AB. Eventually, a few more of these are gonna fall for him.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

I liked his AB’s tonight. Didn’t really chase at all and made hard contact. Moved Westburg over to 3B as well to get him there with 1 out in his 1st AB. Eventually, a few more of these are gonna fall for him.

The bad luck he is hitting into is astounding. He will probably have a stretch this year where the contact isn’t as good and the at bats are worse but his raw numbers will look good because the balls aren’t right at people,

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

While I can’t say for SURE that Mullins would’ve robbed that homer from Vlad Jr, that obviously wasn’t pretty from Cowser.

Mullins nor anyone on earth was robbing that

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The bad luck he is hitting into is astounding. He will probably have a stretch this year where the contact isn’t as good and the at bats are worse but his raw numbers will look good because the balls aren’t right at people,

I don’t feel he’s hitting into bad luck.  I’m seeing a crapload of long fly balls to dead CF and LCF, 360-380 feet, with a lot of hang time.  And grounders to the right side.  He needs to start turning on a few pitches and getting them in the air, and lower his launch angle on the hits to LCF.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He rocked a couple of balls to the OF last night. WTP and the rockets to Vlad of course. 

How about how he at least “did the job” and hit the ball to the right side to move Westburg over with 0 outs? That’s a big AB. Manufacturing runs. It’s not his fault that Hays decided to homer the next AB. Haha

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t feel he’s hitting into bad luck.  I’m seeing a crapload of long fly balls to dead CF and LCF, 360-380 feet, with a lot of hang time.  And grounders to the right side.  He needs to start turning on a few pitches and getting them in the air, and lower his launch angle on the hits to LCF.

But that’s the thing..lots of long fly outs. Lots of hard hit balls.  At some point, you figure these balls hit the fence or just get over. His HR/FB% is literally 0% since late April or so. I believe average is around 10%.  It’s crazy how he is having good approaches and making good contract on a regular basis and has zero to show for it for much of the last 4-6 weeks.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But that’s the thing..lots of long fly outs. Lots of hard hit balls.  At some point, you figure these balls hit the fence or just get over. His HR/FB% is literally 0% since late April or so. I believe average is around 10%.  It’s crazy how he is having good approaches and making good contract on a regular basis and has zero to show for it for much of the last 4-6 weeks.

I just differ with the term luck.  I think his swing is fundamentally sound but he needs to make some minor adjustments to get better results.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just differ with the term luck.  I think his swing is fundamentally sound but he needs to make some minor adjustments to get better results.  

People think luck is some dirty word but it plays a huge part in things.

I don’t see any adjustments that need to be made. He is seeing a lot of pitches and he is hitting them hard on a regular basis. He is also using all fields.  It’s not like he is pull happy or something like that.

Yes he may have some at bats that aren’t great, like every other player in the history of baseball but overall, he’s doing what he needs to do. All of his expected stats are better than his actual stats.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

People think luck is some dirty word but it plays a huge part in things.

I don’t see any adjustments that need to be made. He is seeing a lot of pitches and he is hitting them hard on a regular basis. He is also using all fields.  It’s not like he is pull happy or something like that.

Yes he may have some at bats that aren’t great, like every other player in the history of baseball but overall, he’s doing what he needs to do. All of his expected stats are better than his actual stats.

There is some luck involved in baseball.  But when you keep hitting the ball 360-380 feet between the power alleys with some hang time, it’s not bad luck that those are outs.  5 of Cowser’s 7 homers were pulled, and the other two were right down the LF line.  Nothing to dead center or left center, which is where he’s hitting most of his fly balls.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There is some luck involved in baseball.  But when you keep hitting the ball 360-380 feet between the power alleys with some hang time, it’s not bad luck that those are outs.  5 of Cowser’s 7 homers were pulled, and the other two were right down the LF line.  Nothing to dead center or left center, which is where he’s hitting most of his fly balls.  

Yea and maybe if he is one stadium it’s a homer or if he hits it 20 feet to the right or left, it’s a double for the wall or whatever.  So yes, there is luck.

I get what you are saying but again, when you are doing the things he is doing and doing this correctly and have zero results from it, that’s a lot of bad luck.

He is hitting the ball hard his BaBIP is like under 125 for the last few weeks. That’s incredibly unlucky.

• Upvote 1