Colton Cowser 2024

Led off the game with a HR, and then struck out four times afterwards. It appeared that he hurt his right arm again on a swing and miss in the 2nd, and didn’t have a good AB from then on. We really really REALLY cannot afford to lose Cowser to injury, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him given a day or two off in the next week. 

6 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Led off the game with a HR, and then struck out four times afterwards. It appeared that he hurt his right arm again on a swing and miss in the 2nd, and didn’t have a good AB from then on. We really really REALLY cannot afford to lose Cowser to injury, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him given a day or two off in the next week. 

He's clearly dealing with a nerve issue, the movements he is doing are ulnar glide exercises...likely cubital tunnel syndrome.

Definitely explains why Gunnar beat him in the lego competition.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Abreu is not in the discussion because of his inferior defense?  Mountcastle type situation?

Wilyer Abreu is more of a platoon player so possibly he's getting overlooked because primarily only plays against RHP. Abreu has been hot this month and I wouldn't rule out his name from getting consideration.

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

He's clearly dealing with a nerve issue, the movements he is doing are ulnar glide exercises...likely cubital tunnel syndrome.

Definitely explains why Gunnar beat him in the lego competition.

I wonder how long he has been dealing with it and if that has effected the accuracy of his throws at all.

CC is currently top 75 in the league in average, homers, RBI and OPS (35th).

With his defense, I would argue that he’s a lot least a top 50 player in baseball this season.

He is tending toward 2023 Gunnar numbers. Should he end the year with something in that .250/.335/.465/.800 range, with potential GG defense, I think he has to be the favorite for the ROY unless one of the other guys goes on a 45 game heater. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, banks703 said:

With his defense, I would argue that he’s a lot least a top 50 player in baseball this season.

He is tending toward 2023 Gunnar numbers. Should he end the year with something in that .250/.335/.465/.800 range, with potential GG defense, I think he has to be the favorite for the ROY unless one of the other guys goes on a 45 game heater. 

Jackson Chourio is probably going to win ROY but it should be close.

Luis Gil won his last start with 5 shutout innings and gets the White Sox tomorrow.     I believe Ceddanne Rafaela playing full time and providing more defensive value than Wilyer Abreu makes him the Red Sox favorite.

But if Cowser's arm is okay and he keeps reaching twice a day, I think he can control his own destiny to outrun Gil.

How many RBI's would Coby Mayo get hitting cleanup behind Cowser-Holliday-Gunnar all year long in 2025?

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

By fWAR, Cowser at 3.2 is 28th among all batters and 14 pitchers have 3.3 fWAR or higher, so Cowser is 42nd in baseball overall.

I’ve been impressed at how Cowser has taken to the top of the lineup, seems like far more pitches per plate appearance (even tho just 4 BBs) and just a solid game plan/approach.  His line batting 1st in 61 PAs is .339/.371/.589 for a .966 OPS.