Colton Cowser 2024

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Why?  I wasn't the only one.

I think he was not going to swing at a breaking ball there.  Emmet felt the same way.  SportsGuy did too in his own way.  Thinking he was guessing is a similar statement.

I don't know why you keep expecting me to disavow the very sensible things I keep saying in this thread.

Not one person you mentioned believed he decided not to swing before the pitch was thrown.  Emmett said that the previous breaking pitches were all out of the zone and he probably thought that one would be too.  Entirely different than what your saying.

“He made up his mind to swing before the 0-0 pitch, and he made up his mind to not swing before the 2 strike pitch.“

Were you not clear here?   You say that Cowser made up his mind not to swing BEFORE the pitch.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Not one person you mentioned believed he decided not to swing before the pitch was thrown.  Emmett said that the previous breaking pitches were all out of the zone and he probably thought that one would be too.  Entirely different than what your saying.

Again this is the hyperbolic stuff.

I'm not sure why I have to explain everything to you in miniscule detail for you to understand it.

Nobody actually thinks somebody decides in advance of the pitch whether to swing or not.

What the grown folks are talking about is the guy makes a decision on the first pitch to swing as soon as he recognizes the breaking ball out of the hand, and the guy makes the decision on the last pitch to NOT swing when he recognizes the breaking ball out of the hand.  And he was DEAD wrong wrong in both decisions.  
Your semantic histrionics are boring.   All reasonable people know what we're talking about.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

“He made up his mind to swing before the 0-0 pitch, and he made up his mind to not swing before the 2 strike pitch.“

Were you not clear here?   You say that Cowser made up his mind not to swing BEFORE the pitch.

In regards to breaking balls.

Have you ever been in a batter's box?

I'm not sure why you FREAK OUT about the semantics of these things.

A player at Cowser's level isn't going to decide before a 2-2 pitch to not swing. I don't even think he's going decide before a 2-2 pitch to not swing at any curveball. 

But he could certainly have in his mind to avoid chasing the curveball low, because he knows that's one of the likely ways Smith would try to get him out. And that factor could freeze him on a well-placed low curveball in the zone, which is what he got. 

5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

A player at Cowser's level isn't going to decide before a 2-2 pitch to not swing. I don't even think he's going decide before a 2-2 pitch to not swing at any curveball. 

But he could certainly have in his mind to avoid chasing the curveball low, because he knows that's one of the likely ways Smith would try to get him out. And that factor could freeze him on a well-placed low curveball in the zone, which is what he got. 

What we're talking about is guessing.  On pitch 1 he guessed if he got this type of pitch he was going to swing.  And on strike three he guessed if I get this pitch I'm not going to swing.

He does not literally decide in advance of the pitch if he is going to swing or not though.  And everybody who isn't emotionally trying to pick semantic arguments, understands that.

Edited by Pickles

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

In regards to breaking balls.

Have you ever been in a batter's box?

I'm not sure why you FREAK OUT about the semantics of these things.

Haha.  I have been in a batters box many, many times over many, many years.

Semantics?   You actually said he decided not to swing before the pitch was thrown.  You are finally walking back those words.  It’s not semantics.  It’s what you actually said.   

Just now, Pickles said:

What we're talking about is guessing.  On pitch 1 he guessed if he got this type of pitch he was going to swing.  And on strike three he guessed if I get this pitch I'm not going to swing.

He does not literally decide in advance of the pitch if he is going to swing or not though.  And nobody who isn't emotionally trying to pick semantic arguments, understands that.

So, your NEW hypothesis is that Cowser decided even if it was a curve ball, belt high, center cut, that he’d rather take strike three than try to drive in the tying run for his teammates.   You asked me if I’ve ever stood in a batters box and I answered.  No need to ask you.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Haha.  I have been in a batters box many, many times over many, many years.

Semantics?   You actually said he decided not to swing before the pitch was thrown.  You are finally walking back those words.  It’s not semantics.  It’s what you actually said.   

Because it's things that don't need to be said.

Nobody is arguing that the guy just decides before he steps in the box to swing or not.  And if you take that literally, that's on you.

I thought this was a place for people who knew a little about baseball.  I didn't know everything needed to be explained as if I was dealing with those unfamiliar with the game.

I'm glad we could focus the conversation on my language, where it matters.  Not Cowswer looking like dog shit on low breaking balls.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

So, your NEW hypothesis is that Cowser decided even if it was a curve ball, belt high, center cut, that he’d rather take strike three than try to drive in the tying run for his teammates.   You asked me if I’ve ever stood in a batters box and I answered.  No need to ask you.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying ma'am.

9 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

A voice of reason.  This is it.  Someone who knows baseball and understands it.  Unfortunately, we’re dealing with someone who just doesn’t get it.   Probably relating to not wanting to swing at the ball on the tee.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Because it's things that don't need to be said.

Nobody is arguing that the guy just decides before he steps in the box to swing or not.  And if you take that literally, that's on you.

I thought this was a place for people who knew a little about baseball.  I didn't know everything needed to be explained as if I was dealing with those unfamiliar with the game.

I'm glad we could focus the conversation on my language, where it matters.  Not Cowswer looking like dog shit on low breaking balls.

It’s a place even for people like you, who know absolutely nothing about baseball.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It’s a place even for people like you, who know absolutely nothing about baseball.  

So clever.  And yet, so demonstrably dense that the minutest of details need to be explained to you in detail before you can follow along.