4/3 vs. Royals

1 hit in 5 innings. Very similar offensive performance to last night. Holes in bats. Hitting it right at 'em. Lots of Ks. Ice cold, like the temperature. How quickly they figure it out will color their early season performance. If they figure it out in Pittsburg or Boston and keep trucking from there, it's gonna be a good season. If they're still frozen after their road trip, maybe the hype for the 2024 O's was overblown. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Offense still doesn't have a pulse, eh?

Nope. This guy is pitching really well with good stuff, but this offense has showed nothing since the 2nd game of the season. 

Hitting is contagious and the problem with this long time core (Santander, Hays, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins *though not playing today*) is they tend to go cold all at the same time. None of them are the kind of guys that will grind out an at bat with the team is struggling but more apt to swing early and make quick outs. 

Now we had hoped that Rutschman, Gunnar and Westburg would be different. I'm not convinced they are yet. Maybe they will be, but they've gone awfully cold at the same time. 

Now maybe you have to tip your cap to the Royals pitching. Or maybe you have to look the fact this team does not have a legitimate middle of the order hitter that will carry a team when guys are struggling. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WillyM said:

As of 5:10 PM, the grounds crew have moved the tarp off the infield, though they do not yet seem to be in the process of rolling it up.

The analytics team chimed in and suggested this is the optimal way to 1) drain the field 2) be ready for more rain, yet keep the fans anticipating a potential start.

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

Burnes also isn't missing bats...only 2 Ks ..and none since the first..

That’s true Roy but he’s only given up 2 runs. Burnes is an absolute dog. The least of our worries by a very large margin.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Nope. This guy is pitching really well with good stuff, but this offense has showed nothing since the 2nd game of the season. 

Hitting is contagious and the problem with this long time core (Santander, Hays, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins *though not playing today*) is they tend to go cold all at the same time. None of them are the kind of guys that will grind out an at bat with the team is struggling but more apt to swing early and make quick outs. 

Now we had hoped that Rutschman, Gunnar and Westburg would be different. I'm not convinced they are yet. Maybe they will be, but they've gone awfully cold at the same time. 

Now maybe you have to tip your cap to the Royals pitching. Or maybe you have to look the fact this team does not have a legitimate middle of the order hitter that will carry a team when guys are struggling. 

I think it's a combination of all these things.

All I know is that if I had to face the Orioles in a meaningful series, I'd replace all the starters in my rotation with lefties that they're not familiar with and call it a day.  Take that to the bank.