The bottom line is this. Management is placing $ over wins as far as importance this year

18 hours ago, yark14 said:

You lost me when you bragged that you were an elite athlete in 6 different sports...

giphy.gif

I am elite at a few things. Some can be mentioned and some can not, lol.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok..may not was still an idiotic thing to say at the time in which you said it.  So don’t pat yourself on the back too much.

So in that thread last year I said the O's wouldn't win the WS.  They didn't.

I said they may or may not make the playoffs.  They did and yes I understand that I wasn't going out on a limb there.

I said they WILL NOT win a playoff series if they do make the playoffs.  They didn't.

I said I like the Rangers most of all to win the WS.  They did.

If anything that thread should be thread of the year!!! for its 10/10 prognostications.  :)

I also said in that thread that I expected the 2024 O's to be really good.  And I expect them to be still. 

In relation to this thread, it is my contention that they would be better with Holliday, Mayo, Heston, and Stowers etc rather than Hayes, Mateo, Urias, and Kemp etc.

Not just better.  MUCH better.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

If the team wanted to save money it would fire the veterans and go with the prospects.  Young guys make less money.  And the young hyped up star prospects would presumably bring more fans to the game.

One reason the team has not traded or cut Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Urias and Mateo is because the team won 101 games last year with those guys. 

The other reason is because they don't think some of the top prospects are ready defensively -- especially Mayo and Norby and to some degree Holliday too.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

If the team wanted to save money it would fire the veterans and go with the prospects.  Young guys make less money.  And the young hyped up star prospects would presumably bring more fans to the game.

One reason the team has not traded or cut Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Urias and Mateo is because the team won 101 games last year with those guys. 

The other reason is because they don't think some of the top prospects are ready defensively -- especially Mayo and Norby and to some degree Holliday too.

When I say valuing $ over wins this year, I more so meant service time. Saving money later and perhaps sacrificing wins now as a result.   Getting rid of guys like Mateo Urias, Hayes and Kemp isn't going to save them a ton anyway.  

And while I get the service time angle, imo that is much more important and better to do when a team....

A) Isn't much of a contender so wins and losses don't matter as much.  In this case we are a big time contender and wins and losses do matter a lot.

and

B) Is easier to do when it is just one player you are playing the service time game with.  One player does not normally make or break a team (other than Machado of course).  In this case I can think of at least 4 players who can be brought up who all together imo make the O's a much better ball club. 

I do think they should have kept Santander,  Mountcastle, and maybeeeee Mullins....and they did.  So I am not upset about that.  IF I am the O's I cut or trade Mateo Urias, Hayes and Kemp and don't think twice about it and then bring up the youngsters.    Think of how much better and exciting the team is just with those moves. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

22 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

So in that thread last year I said the O's wouldn't win the WS.  They didn't.

I said they may or may not make the playoffs.  They did and yes I understand that I wasn't going out on a limb there.

I said they WILL NOT win a playoff series if they do make the playoffs.  They didn't.

I said I like the Rangers most of all to win the WS.  They did.

If anything that thread should be thread of the year!!! for its 10/10 prognostications.  :)

I also said in that thread that I expected the 2024 O's to be really good.  And I expect them to be still. 

In relation to this thread, it is my contention that they would be better with Holliday, Mayo, Heston, and Stowers etc rather than Hayes, Mateo, Urias, and Kemp etc.

Not just better.  MUCH better.

FFS.  Saying a team that is like 12 games up for a playoff spot late in the season may not make the playoffs makes everything else you said look stupid.

That is the take of a 12 year old kid who is an emotional wreck after a loss and doesn’t know anything. 

But you keep patting yourself on the back while “not bragging”.  As you can tell by this thread and that thread, everyone GREATLY respects what you have to say 

5 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

IF I am the O's I cut or trade Mateo Urias, Hayes and Kemp and don't think twice about it and then bring up the youngsters.    

Cutting Urias and Hayes and even Mateo would be completely idiotic. Those players have value. You don't cut them, you trade them. You should stick to bowling. ;) 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

FFS.  Saying a team that is like 12 games up for a playoff spot late in the season may not make the playoffs makes everything else you said look stupid.

That is the take of a 12 year old kid who is an emotional wreck after a loss and doesn’t know anything. 

But you keep patting yourself on the back while “not bragging”.  As you can tell by this thread and that thread, everyone GREATLY respects what you have to say 

You keep making posts that are factually incorrect.  If you are going to post at least be accurate.

I made that post on Aug 11 of last year.  At the time they were up 2.5 games (I think) on the division and I think 8 games for the last WC spot.

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Cutting Urias and Hayes and even Mateo would be completely idiotic. Those players have value. You don't cut them, you trade them. You should stick to bowling. ;) 

Can you read?   Srs question.   Are you dyslexic? 

What did I say?

IF I am the O's I cut or trade Mateo Urias, Hayes and Kemp and don't think twice about it.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, frankwhite said:

We played bad and still took the series. I don't see any reason to cry after 6 games, 4 of those being wins. 

I don't think we played bad.  Pitched pretty well.  Hitting other than the first 2 games was just 'ok'.

But when you play guys like Hayes, Kemp, Mateo and Urias.  That is all you can expect from those guys....just hitting 'ok'.  At best.

They don't scare anybody put it that way. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

And btw guys like Mateo have almost zero value to almost anyone.  He is a JAG.   A fast JAG, but just a JAG.  So is Kemp.   Just cut them.

Hayes and Urias you might be able to get something for.  Urias meh. Hayes I like but he is wayyyyy too streaky for me and he is hurt too much.  Meh. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole