The bottom line is this. Management is placing $ over wins as far as importance this year

I made a post about this a couple of weeks ago when Hollliday got cut.  Along with Mayo, Heston, and Stowers.  Let's just say I was not happy.

I say this as a elite HS and college athlete in tennis, hockey, football, basketball and baseball and a current PBA bowler who has played on many TEAMS.

Via experience I have a good sense of  how a team feels and what builds   team camaraderie. 

This team dominated all exhibition season with the young guys.  Those 4 above plus another player or two.  The team was flying high.  Coming off a 101 win season. 

WE ALL SAW THIS.  The team confidence, pre season or not...screamed we are a great team brimming with youthful exuberance and confidence. 

In other words, the players KNEW who the best players were.  The young guys.  Not 25% of the current guys on the ML roster.   These old guys who should have been cut. 

Yet for purely monetary reasons,. Elias and upper management decided that they would rather have players such as Urias, Mateo, Kemp (which is beyond stupefied) and yes even Hayes who I am just done with.

We have had an easy schedule starting out.  At home against 2 terrible teams, and yet this team has lost all of its mojo.  They are dead.

If and when we lose the division or getting into the playoffs by a few games?  Remember these first 30 games when management decided to get cute and go for profit over wins. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Downvote 5

I’m confused, what profit is there to gain by keeping the prospects in the minors?

I’m not saying those guys shouldn’t (in a perfect world) be in the majors. Hays, Urias and Mateo probably should have been traded but they weren’t. At this point, it’s hard to just bench 5 guys from a team that won the division and had the most wins in the league. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I absolutely love it when people post premature bullshit like this.  “They are dead” — riiiiiiight.

You know it's a crazy thread when @Frobby has a potty mouth comment

It’s funny that they are valuing money over wins when they kept the expensive players and didn’t bring up the cheap ones.

Im not sure how that adds up to valuing money but hey, math isn’t everyone’s strong suit.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Suarez. Largely because I reject the concept of ignoring the impact of removing them from the rotation. 
    • I was going to go with Burnes for the same reason but he seems to be locked into a very rigid structure that would not be possible in the closer role. I would want someone without recent arm problem  downtime and with the ability to dial up a K in crucial. That’s why I went with Kremer, although he gives up HR a bit too often.  
    • I disagree.  He is at his worst to start games.   He seems to need to warm up a bit before finding his groove.   Not sure he'd be able to get great in just one inning. 
    • I think it's more likely they get traded for a rental or someone who is a free agent after next season.  Teams that want prospects, even near major league ready ones, generally are rebuilding and not interested in trading away young pitching.  Though maybe a team like the Yankees, a contending team that needs more offense, would be willing to trade young pitching for some bats.  Gleyber Torres is underperforming at 2B, so maybe they'd be willing to trade a couple pitchers in the 11-20 range on their prospect list for Connor Norby.  Can't see the O's and Yankees trading good prospects to each other in general, but there could be a match with Norby if the O's and Yanks were willing to trade.  Of course the Yanks would probably rather trade better prospects for Jordan Westburg, but the O's won't be doing that.   Then there is the curious example of the Oakland A's.  They are barely contenders for a playoff spot, but they are in there.  For this reason they may interested in buying and selling -- selling one or two of their good MLB level relievers for a Stowers or Norby.  They may not want Mayo or Kjerstad because they'd cost too much in a season in which they are actually competing in a relatively weak AL West.  But who would they be willing to let go of and still remain competitive?  I have no idea though maybe only someone from the minors that can't help them this season.  Bu there is the chance the team just sells and punts on the season.  If so, and if Mason Miller cost too much, the O's could target their other relievers with Stowers. The Cardinals could be the best trade partner, though if they're selling again this season I'm guessing they'll probably want a premium bat like Kjerstad for Helsey.  If the O's targeted their minor leaguers, then maybe a deal could be made for Norby and/or Stowers.  The Cardinals need offense, period.  
    • Wells gives up too many home tuns consistently so asking him to close is like asking for a blown save. 
  • Popular Contributors