Brandon Hyde 2024

Posted (edited)

I don’t know how much control Hyde has over his personnel, so I give him a pass on his 26 man roster. But his use of the roster is bad, objectively bad. I know he doesn’t do things without a logic behind them, but his logic is weak. Continue playing weak players when there are perfectly able guys on the bench who could play instead. There’s no excuse to play Urias. That means the roster spot is wasted, but the point remains valid that there’s no reason to play him absent injury. Why play Cowser/Mullins, when each is going through a bad patch and needs to sit for a game? 
Ned Yost was a terrible manager but had a terrific Royals team. Hyde is not a good manager. He’s just lucky.

sorry, guys, true is true. Red Arrow me all ya want.

Edited by Philip
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Hyde has had McCann bunt a lot. He's actually a bunting machine.

He was surprisingly good.  The last thing I expect to see is a catcher that can bunt.  Maybe he can teach Mateo. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t know how much control Hyde has over his personnel, so I give him a pass on his 26 man roster. But his use of the roster is bad, objectively bad. I know he doesn’t do things without a logic behind them, but his logic is weak. Continue playing weak players when there are perfectly able guys on the bench who could play instead. There’s no excuse to play Urias. That means the roster spot is wasted, but the point remains valid that there’s no reason to play him absent injury. Why play Cowser/Mullins, when each is going through a bad patch and needs to sit for a game? 
Ned Yost was a terrible manager but had a terrific Royals team. Hyde is not a good manager. He’s just lucky,

Didn't someone post after one of the caravans that they talked to someone with the team or close to it and the person said how Hyde is a players manager and the players walk all over him. The person also said the team was close to being sold and Angelos was on his last legs

edit: Here it is 

Edited by Orioles0615

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Didn't someone post after one of the caravans that they talked to someone with the team or close to it and the person said how Hyde is a players manager and the players walk all over him. The person also said the team was close to being sold and Angelos was on his last legs

I started to look at it, but it was at page one of 166, so I will take your word for it.
It was, a little bit funny to read all the angst about Shohei going to Toronto, laugh laugh laugh

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I started to look at it, but it was at page one of 166, so I will take your word for it.
It was, a little bit funny to read all the angst about Shohei going to Toronto, laugh laugh laugh

Click on the very top part and it takes you to the correct post in that thread.  Half the things predicted there were wrong.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Click on the very top part and it takes you to the correct post in that thread.  Half the things predicted there were wrong.  

So should I take away from that, where it says, “Elias and Rosenbaum control the lineups,” that it is Elias rather than Hyde, who makes the day-to-day lineups?

That makes very little sense. I must be reading that incorrectly.

I don’t for one second doubt that Hyde is not a strong manager, I still remember when angry and apparently threatening, and Hyde turned and walked away.

It is quite possible that that is exactly exactly what he should’ve done, and it is certainly what I would’ve done, but it still looked bad, and I’ve never thought of him as a Dominant personality since then.

and then, in the Oakland series, when he went out to take out Kimbrel and Kimbrel didn’t want to go, and he left him in just long enough for him to lose the game(at least that is what happened according to what I read in various threads) I wasn’t surprised.

2 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Some of the other undeniably true gossip was that Holliday and Mayo would both definitely make the OD team, and the O's would definitely trade for Cease.  So take that gossip with a grain of salt.  I have no problems with Hyde being a players' manager.  The days of a Pinella type manager going thru a clubhouse and cursing out players and publicly embarassing players is long gone.  The O's clubhouse seems to be a positive place and the O's players play for each other if not Hyde.  I'm definitely not a fan of Hyde's game management skills, but I believe he is doing well with player management. 

48 minutes ago, Philip said:

So should I take away from that, where it says, “Elias and Rosenbaum control the lineups,” that it is Elias rather than Hyde, who makes the day-to-day lineups?

Rosenbaum has directly denied this.  She gave a long explanation of how the lineup gets made.  Many people have different kinds of input, and Hyde makes the final decisions.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rosenbaum has directly denied this.  She gave a long explanation of how the lineup gets made.  Many people have different kinds of input, and Hyde makes the final decisions.  

That makes sense. Lineups always rests on Hyde’s shoulders, and good or bad that’s where it should be, he should be responsible for how he uses his 26 man, and frankly he should be frequently be full of regret.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Ned Yost was a terrible manager but had a terrific Royals team. Hyde is not a good manager. He’s just lucky.

sorry, guys, true is true. Red Arrow me all ya want.

I don't know many team's fans who think the team's manager is any good. Your opinion is just that, yours, and you are entitled to it, but just because you say it, doesn't make it a truth. Your truth, maybe, but not a truth. There was a bit of insight as to the decisions made at the end of the game, and a lot of moves were thought out well ahead of time, it didn't appear to be the mind of a bumbling idiot.

34 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't know many team's fans who think the team's manager is any good. Your opinion is just that, yours, and you are entitled to it, but just because you say it, doesn't make it a truth. Your truth, maybe, but not a truth. There was a bit of insight as to the decisions made at the end of the game, and a lot of moves were thought out well ahead of time, it didn't appear to be the mind of a bumbling idiot.

I appreciate that he’s not flipping coins, and I know he has a reason for what he does, but a lot of the time, his reasoning is objectively bad. And that’s not really a source of debate.

Just like Buck had a reason for saving Britton…but it was a really bad reason.

any opinion, by definition, is debatable.

A individual decision can be objectively good or bad whether or not it actually succeeds. Overall, most of the time we can give him the benefit of the doubt, but there have been lots of glaring bad decisions.

I’ve mentioned Ned Yost. Even the folks at Royals review thought he was an idiot, but he had a splendid team that worked really well for a couple seasons.

12 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He was surprisingly good.  The last thing I expect to see is a catcher that can bunt.  Maybe he can teach Mateo. 

McCann is our best bunter. We may want to consider an upgrade at backup C. I like the thinking of get a RH lefty masher C, but McCann is not that dude. 

13 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I assume you know that Mateo had a successful sac bunt yesterday, right?

McCann is an excellent bunter.   Last year he got one down on a pitch that nearly hit him in the face.