Brandon Hyde 2024

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

But if you go beyond those 11 ABs, you’ll find that his career K rate against LHPs is nearly 30%. Of the balls he has been able to put into play against lefties, over 70% of them have been either ground balls or infield flyballs. Some of those ground balls might have gotten through for hits — but many of them likely also would have been DPs in that situation.

That’s an awfully high combined rate of bad outcomes. Hard to blame a manager for playing those numbers. 

Anecdotally, I think Hays seems to squeeze the absolute life out of the bat in high-stakes situations, so I was very concerned about throwing him out there in that spot. But I think I still would have done it — the numbers are pretty tough to deny. 

Fair enough. I still would've left him in to try given how bad Hays has looked for the last year's worth of at bats. Not to mention it's a 1 run game if they don't score, and I don't want to lose O'Hearn in potential extras.

Hays pinch hitting for O’Hearn is 100% the correct move. I’ve noticed some fans are fixated on overall numbers in box scores. 

What is O’Hearn’s OPS May - Today?

What is Hays OPS May - Today?

They’re pretty similar. Hays gets the nod in that situation because of handedness. 

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays pinch hitting for O’Hearn is 100% the correct move. I’ve noticed some fans are fixated on overall numbers in box scores. 

What is O’Hearn’s OPS May - Today?

What is Hays OPS May - Today?

They’re pretty similar. Hays gets the nod in that situation because of handedness. 

Need to avoid K or Pop Up there.

K + PU %

O’Hearn - 16.4%

Hays - 32.3%

• Upvote 1

I am beyond furious that Hyde let Irvin pitch to Jose Ramirez with two outs, two runners on and first base open.  Yes, the next hitter was also right handed but Paul Fry is not Jose Ramirez.  

We're probably going to lose this game now, and yes Cole Irvin deserves a lot of the blame, but that was an obvious intentional walk situation if I ever saw one.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

I am beyond furious that Hyde let Irvin pitch to Jose Ramirez with two outs, two runners on and first base open.  Yes, the next hitter was also right handed but Paul Fry is not Jose Ramirez.  

We're probably going to lose this game now, and yes Cole Irvin deserves a lot of the blame, but that was an obvious intentional walk situation if I ever saw one.  

This team doesn’t seem to do IBB for whatever reason. I’m sure Sig plugged whatever into whatever model and it told him to never issue IBB or some nonsense like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

What the heck.  Horrible pitching change.  I said this to my friends watching with me.

Baker loaded the bases but the hits and walks were nothing.  He was dealing.  His ball was moving. He had bad breaks and had just struck out his last batter. 

Bringing in Akin is a kiss of death.  He is horrible.   Let me repeat.....HORRIBLE. 

Moves like this make me think our manager is not the answer to get us to the promised land.

He took out a guy who had spin and revs for an oompa loompa who can't pitch. 

Hyde just lost the Os this game.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Moves like this make me think our manager is not the answer to get us to the promised land.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Since you clearly have superior predictive abilities to Brandon Hyde and the rest of us, I wonder, why don't you bet and rake in the dough on things like this? Or are you already too loaded from being a master of so many trades and being so successful that making such money would be of little interest?!

I was pretty surprised when I woke up, looked at the box score and saw that Akin threw only 0.2 innings last night. The O's can't have been counting on a long start from Kremer in his first appearance back so you'd think a couple innings from Akin would have been in the game plan. Looks like Akin threw a solo HR and Hyde freaked out and immediately changed course and burned Webb? Wouldn't it have been nice if Webb had been available for the 7th today and Akin was unavailable? 

I have said repeatedly this year that I don't understand the Akin usage, and I still don't. His value is as a bulk reliever and Hyde wants to use him like 2012 Brian Matusz.

No one is blaming Hyde for playing the guys he is given, he is just terrible with when to bring in guys vs when to leave guys in. Is Burnes not our ace? He just had a 10 pitch inning and was at 93 pitches. When trying to save your bullpen, could he have not gone out and tried to get another clean inning? Heaven forbid our ace get to 100 pitches.

Then you have his insistence on playing lefty/lefty, righty/righty match ups and he ignores the actual numbers. Akin isn’t great against lefties and Crawford is better against lefties. Baker just K’d 2, he was better off leaving him in. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, VanceWilder said:

Dude, I've played, coached, watched, analyzed baseball all my life and have been an Orioles fan since around 1970. My opinion is that Baker and Akin should not be used in high-leverage situations, period. Elias is brilliant but the lack of optionable relievers was not addressed in the offseason and this was a bit predictable (see Mike Baumann DFA). Don't imply I can't have a useful opinion based on my number of posts. There are plenty of useless posts on here so if you want me to build up my "posting count" to give credibility, well, keep waiting.

I agree. Akin and Baker are at best one out guys but since we now have the three-batter rule, these guys become even more of a liability. I'm especially concerned that we have back-end guys without swing and miss stuff. I really would like to see a reunion with Tanner Scott soon.

Edited by Orioles1954