Brandon Hyde 2024

35 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Coming into today his IS% was 24%. The league average is 32%. Tate 43%, Cano 37%.  Webb was 19%. Akin 21/5, Webb 21/4.  

It’s game 87. You aren’t getting multiple guys up for that. He had Baker and then Akin backing him up. Akin threw yesterday. He probably only wanted to use him to finish an inning. 

Akin stats:

2 outs, RISP: 316 BA, 1.041 OPS

Tie game: 267 BA, 1.020 OPS

Runners on: 259 BA, .849 OPS

High leverage: 273 BA, 833 OPS

Using Akin to finish off an inning isn’t exactly wise. Especially not in close games. He’s not a good option.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm not even sure who the O's high leverage relievers are.  Last year it was obvious.  Our low usage closer, Kimbrel?  Webb?  Cano, who's stuff doesn't seem the same as last year.

I’d say, in order:

• Kimbrel
  • Webb
  • Perez
  • Cano
  • Baker
  • Akin
  • Irvin
  • Tate

There’s a pretty big drop off after Perez. This bullpen needs 2 arms. Akin can be mop up duty or starting a new inning. Baker can’t really be trusted for extended periods. Irvin is medium/long relief. Tate isn’t where he was a couple years ago, yet.

19 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Akin stats:

2 outs, RISP: 316 BA, 1.041 OPS

Tie game: 267 BA, 1.020 OPS

Runners on: 259 BA, .849 OPS

High leverage: 273 BA, 833 OPS

Using Akin to finish off an inning isn’t exactly wise. Especially not in close games. He’s not a good option.

He is not getting up 3 arms in one inning. That’s the point. It’s Game 87. 

If he got to Akin that inning odds were SEATTLE had already scored. He isn’t using Webb or Cano behind. 

You can’t analyze every game like it’s a playoff game. 

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He is not getting up 3 arms in one inning. That’s the point. It’s Game 87. 

If he got to Akin that inning odds were SEATTLE had already scored. He isn’t using Webb or Cano behind. 

You can’t analyze every game like it’s a playoff game. 

My point is I’m not getting Akin up period. Not in a tie game. You have other arms available. I’d sooner just leave Baker in. He’s thrown over 30 a few times already this year. Akin is that much of a liability.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1

Inherited runners scored (not counting today), Keegan Akin is the 12th worst in all of the AL. In 36 games, he’s allowed 21 inherited runners to score. That is abysmal. And now it’ll be 24 in 37 games. That’ll bump him to 9th worst.

Cano hasn’t been great, either. He’s allowed 27 in 41 games.

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

My point is I’m not getting Akin up period. Not in a tie game. You have other arms available. I’d sooner just leave Baker in. He’s thrown over 30 a few times already this year. Akin is that much of a liability.

He can’t just leave Baker out there with no backup. What if he had nobody out? 

With no faith in Cano, And Perez having worked back to back already, we don't have a lot of great options here.  Maybe Irvin?  But I don't know how I feel about a starter going in mid inning either.  Our rest situation in the bullpen kind of made for few viable choices.

Maybe Baker shouldn't give up a leadoff double and 2 walks.  Would sure be nice to have Voth and Baumann right now.

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

The funny thing about Hyde going to Akin to matchup against a lefty:

• Akin hasn’t been good against lefties since 2022
  • He’s been worse against them this year and last year he was really bad against them
  • Baker doesn’t have lefty/righty splits, but lefties actually hit slightly worse against him
  • Akin is downright terrible with runners on base

Id just like to see the data that went with his decision today. Because from what I can tell, it was either his gut or desperation or some combination of the 2. Just leave Baker in.

I get that people say this but the numbers don’t really prove it. 

Vs RH he’s .179/.245/.333/.578

Vs LH he’s .200/.263/.357/.620

Unless I’m looking at the wrong numbers…

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

With no faith in Cano, And Perez having worked back to back already, we don't have a lot of great options here.  Maybe Irvin?  But I don't know how I feel about a starter going in mid inning either.  Our rest situation in the bullpen kind of made for few viable choices.

Maybe Baker shouldn't give up a leadoff double and 2 walks.  Would sure be nice to have Voth and Baumann right now.

Why everytime they came into a close game the last year and a half and they blew the lead everyone was blaming Hyde and saying what was he doing broinging them in high leverage situations.  

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

I’d say, in order:

• Kimbrel
  • Webb
  • Perez
  • Cano
  • Baker
  • Akin
  • Irvin
  • Tate

There’s a pretty big drop off after Perez. This bullpen needs 2 arms. Akin can be mop up duty or starting a new inning. Baker can’t really be trusted for extended periods. Irvin is medium/long relief. Tate isn’t where he was a couple years ago, yet.

Who are the bullpen arms for the playoffs?  Kimbrel and Webb of course.  Perez and hope it's the good Perez.  Cano, and hope it's the good Cano.  I would add Irvin because he's shown promise as a long man.

Baker is starting to show why he was mediocre to bad in Norfolk.  Tate is totally undependable.  Is that the guy you want to send out with the game on the line.  Akin another guy who runs hot and cold and as mentioned will let any baserunners score.  Really need to add at least 2 arms.  I have been negative on Hyde's handling of the bullpen, but he's done good considering the garbage arms he's had to use in high leverage situations.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I get that people say this but the numbers don’t really prove it. 

Vs RH he’s .179/.245/.333/.578

Vs LH he’s .200/.263/.357/.620

Unless I’m looking at the wrong numbers…

I think my main driving point is that he’s not some elite LOOGY. He’s actually better against righties, and there are other pitchers in the pen better than him against lefties all the while being better with runners on. His lefty/righty splits shows a slightly worse batting average against lefties and last year he was abysmal overall. So it’s not like that there’s some track record here.

20 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Why didn't we go after Civale from Tampa, who just got traded?  Why is doing nothing so important?

Maybe because Civale hasn’t been very good.  Making a trade just for the sake for making a trade isn’t a good idea.  Last time I checked the Orioles are in first place with the personnel they already have.  

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think my main driving point is that he’s not some elite LOOGY. He’s actually better against righties, and there are other pitchers in the pen better than him against lefties all the while being better with runners on. His lefty/righty splits shows a slightly worse batting average against lefties and last year he was abysmal overall. So it’s not like that there’s some track record here.

Akin has had fairly even splits in recent years but he was amazing against lefties in his last good year. They want to get him back to that because that is the job they need him to do. You are also overlooking the hitter's splits. Even if you have a lefty with even splits, they may be a better choice vs a hitter with bad splits. I think it is fair to say Akin was a better choice than Baker who also sucks, had already thrown 24p and allowed 3 baserunners, and is right handed. Akin is not an elite LOOGY, but he also isn't a Coulombe type who can get anyone out (as we saw against Garver in the very next AB). The bottom line is both Akin and Baker suck and Hyde did not have a lot of options after winning two close games.