Brandon Hyde 2024

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

But skip, I'm 5 for 5 with 5 home runs today. 

Yes, but the opposing team is bringing in a left handed pitcher to face a left handed hitter. It's called playing the percentages - it's what good managers do to win ball games.

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's like Frobby makes a really good point but everyone ignores it cause they don't like it.  

Is a good point. Hyde has pulled the right strings dozens of times this year, and I give him a ton of credit on a regular basis. But that doesn't mean he's absolved from any criticism. 

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Is a good point. Hyde has pulled the right strings dozens of times this year, and I give him a ton of credit on a regular basis. But that doesn't mean he's absolved from any criticism. 

And that's fine.  Like I said, I do believe some criticism is warranted here.

But the over the top "He's a terrible manager, he needs to go" stuff is...well, exactly that.  Over the top and ridiculous.  

Like, I get everyone wanted to see Holliday hit in that situation last night...I mean, I wanted to see him hit, too.  That's what we're all excited about, right?  That kid is living up to expectations at the big league level, he hit a piss missile earlier in the game...everyone's on the edge of their seats to see him do it again in the 8th inning.  I get it, I completely get it.

But I'm also going to refuse to get upset at the fact that the guy who pinch hit for him drew a walk and kept the inning going, as if that's some sort of indictment on Hyde's managerial skills because we didn't all get to see the brand new shiny toy up there in a late and close situation.  

For the record, I would have preferred to have seen Holliday hit, too.  And Cowser.  Those guys are key pieces to the future of this team, they need to see at bats against lefties.  I said this last night.

But like I said, I'm not getting mad over the fact that Slater drew a walk.  That's absurd.

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

And that's fine.  Like I said, I do believe some criticism is warranted here.

But the over the top "He's a terrible manager, he needs to go" stuff is...well, exactly that.  Over the top and ridiculous.  

Like, I get everyone wanted to see Holliday hit in that situation last night...I mean, I wanted to see him hit, too.  That's what we're all excited about, right?  That kid is living up to expectations at the big league level, he hit a piss missile earlier in the game...everyone's on the edge of their seats to see him do it again in the 8th inning.  I get it, I completely get it.

But I'm also going to refuse to get upset at the fact that the guy who pinch hit for him drew a walk and kept the inning going, as if that's some sort of indictment on Hyde's managerial skills because we didn't all get to see the brand new shiny toy up there in a late and close situation.  

You're never going to hear me say he's the worst manager, not that that was directed at me.

And while Slater drew a walk and drove in a run, it was even more egregious that he PH for Cowser. Hyde has to know that that pitcher has reverse splits. If we do, he does. And with how hot Cowser has been lately, I'm just not sure how you justify going that deep into your bench to PH Cowser for a dude that hasn't even collected his first major league hit yet. That's a hell of a head scratcher to me. He replaced a very hot hitter with an objectively worse option. Full stop.

The decision to go to Soto after Smith was one that looks worse with hindsight. I'm just not sure why he was so quick to replace Smith, who has done very well for us so far. But had Soto come in and induced weak contact and gotten the out, we wouldn't be talking about - frankly - any of this.

• Upvote 3

I had no problem with the Soto decision, it's the decisions with the lineup that are hard to defend. Injuries are the biggest problem we have, not managing. Hyde usually puts guys in a position to succeed, but last night was one of his worst games. That doesn't mean he should be fired, or that he is some horrible manager. 

7 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

You're never going to hear me say he's the worst manager, not that that was directed at me.

And while Slater drew a walk and drove in a run, it was even more egregious that he PH for Cowser. Hyde has to know that that pitcher has reverse splits. If we do, he does. And with how hot Cowser has been lately, I'm just not sure how you justify going that deep into your bench to PH Cowser for a dude that hasn't even collected his first major league hit yet. That's a hell of a head scratcher to me. He replaced a very hot hitter with an objectively worse option. Full stop.

The decision to go to Soto after Smith was one that looks worse with hindsight. I'm just not sure why he was so quick to replace Smith, who has done very well for us so far. But had Soto come in and induced weak contact and gotten the out, we wouldn't be talking about - frankly - any of this.

Agreed on Mayo.  And Smith.  

And yes, it wasn't directed at you...but the hysterics around here are ridiculous when it comes to some things, particularly Hyde.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I don’t know the exact numbers, but I believe Cowser has hit lefties well recently.  He has a .719 OPS against them overall, which isn’t awful, and I’m pretty sure he was in the low to mid-.600’s about a month ago.   He also knows the strike zone well, and that pitcher’s command was a bit shaky.  So, I agree the decision to pinch hit with Mayo there was highly questionable.  

• Upvote 1

I would have let Holliday hit. That said Slater has 888 PA’s vs Holliday’s 9 PA’s vs LHP.  

He roled the dice with Mayo who was coming into the game anyway. He keeps playing but it does seem Cowser keeps messing with his one arm. 

I think you can disagree with his moves but it’s not like you can say they are indefensible.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know the exact numbers, but I believe Cowser has hit lefties well recently.  He has a .719 OPS against them overall, which isn’t awful, and I’m pretty sure he was in the low to mid-.600’s about a month ago.   He also knows the strike zone well, and that pitcher’s command was a bit shaky.  So, I agree the decision to pinch hit with Mayo there was highly questionable.  

Can’t prove it but if Urias gets a hit I think he lets Cowser hit. I think he was hoping he would run into one. 

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed on Mayo.  And Smith.  

And yes, it wasn't directed at you...but the hysterics around here are ridiculous when it comes to some things, particularly Hyde.

I don’t think Hyde is a terrible manager, but last night was a performance to forget. Also do we really know how much leeway Hyde has with the lineup and pitching decisions and how much of it is influenced by the Sigbot and analytics. 

Hyde might just be following what the analytics dictate as opposed to perhaps his own preference. 

44 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t think Hyde is a terrible manager, but last night was a performance to forget. Also do we really know how much leeway Hyde has with the lineup and pitching decisions and how much of it is influenced by the Sigbot and analytics. 

Hyde might just be following what the analytics dictate as opposed to perhaps his own preference. 

Ever have a bad day at work?

That said, I think you could be correct.  I think there's a high probability he manages to the metrics and last night was an example of that backfiring.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm sorry, what analytics say Ramon Urias should stay in to face a lefty?