Enrique Bradfield Jr. 2024

Frobby

7 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Do you have any concerns he could build bad habits that take advantage of the lower quality of defense in the minors? As in, the defense will get better as he continues to move up and his aggressiveness could cause him to run into outs? 

I'm kind of on your line of thinking though, let him run.  

Base running is more than just speed. It's a skill. That skill has to be honed like any other. Reading pitchers. Seeing the play in front of you. Understanding how much of a lead is enough. Hearing the second baseman moving toward the bag behind you.

As defenses incrementally improves as a player progresses through the minors, so too should base running skill.

But only if it is exercised and challenged

2 hours ago, owknows said:

Base running is more than just speed. It's a skill. That skill has to be honed like any other. Reading pitchers. Seeing the play in front of you. Understanding how much of a lead is enough. Hearing the second baseman moving toward the bag behind you.

As defenses incrementally improves as a player progresses through the minors, so too should base running skill.

But only if it is exercised and challenged

Has EBJ been trying to pad his stats by stealing first after advancing to second? I kid I kid 😎

Agree on your point re:base running is a skill that needs to be honed. 

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Has EBJ been trying to pad his stats by stealing first after advancing to second? I kid I kid 😎

Agree on your point re:base running is a skill that needs to be honed. 

He's been picked off at second a couple of times as I understand it.

8 minutes ago, owknows said:

He's been picked off at second a couple of times as I understand it.

I imagine so.  He has 41 SB in 45 MiLB games.  He has 3 CS.  Hard to tell from stat line of any of those CS are PIKs.  To your point, he needs to figure out what he can and can’t get away with and low minors is the place to push the envelope.  

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I imagine so.  He has 41 SB in 45 MiLB games.  He has 3 CS.  Hard to tell from stat line of any of those CS are PIKs.  

Not all pickoffs are counted as CS.  It depends if the runner is tagged out while trying to get back to the original base, or takes off for the next past.  Only the latter are treated as CS.  

I looked at Bradfield’s game logs and the box scores of the three times he’s been caught stealing (twice last year, once this year).   None of those were the result of pickoffs.  So, any pickoffs he’s had were in addition to the times he was caught stealing.  I’m aware of two pickoffs he’s had this year, once in the first weekend of the year, and then yesterday.  I also know of at least once that he was thrown out trying to stretch a double into a triple recently.

Still, I don’t think any of that necessarily makes Bradfield too aggressive.  It depends what his overall success rate is.  His success rate on stolen bases is phenomenal even if you factor in the two pickoffs, and I suspect he’s taken a lot of extra bases too.  The guy has been on base 28 times and has scored 17 runs.  That’s a very good ratio.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not all pickoffs are counted as CS.  It depends if the runner is tagged out while trying to get back to the original base, or takes off for the next past.  Only the latter are treated as CS.  

I looked at Bradfield’s game logs and the box scores of the three times he’s been caught stealing (twice last year, once this year).   None of those were the result of pickoffs.  So, any pickoffs he’s had were in addition to the times he was caught stealing.  I’m aware of two pickoffs he’s had this year, once in the first weekend of the year, and then yesterday.  I also know of at least once that he was thrown out trying to stretch a double into a triple recently.

Still, I don’t think any of that necessarily makes Bradfield too aggressive.  It depends what his overall success rate is.  His success rate on stolen bases is phenomenal even if you factor in the two pickoffs, and I suspect he’s taken a lot of extra bases too.  The guy has been on base 28 times and has scored 17 runs.  That’s a very good ratio.

Correct.  That’s why I said hard to tell if any of the CS were PIKs.  The post I was replying to mentioned him being picked off at second and more times than not you're going back to the bag.  I’d say most picks that result in CS are lefty’s going to first. 

Thanks for the follow up and looking in to the CS.  I briefly tried to find the PIKs but didn’t have any luck. 

Agree on his SB rate.  With that success rate, I’ll take a few PIKs.  Heck, if he can continue that his low ISO might not be an issue, he just needs to find a way to get on base.  If all those SBs could combine with the singles to become doubles, his OPS would be off the charts.  

Edited by emmett16

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Correct.  That’s why I said hard to tell if any of the CS were PIKs.  The post I was replying to mentioned him being picked off at second and more times than not you're going back to the bag.  I’d say most picks that result in CS are lefty’s going to first. 

Thanks for the follow up and looking in to the CS.  I briefly tried to find the PIKs but didn’t have any luck. 

Agree on his SB rate.  With that success rate, I’ll take a few PIKs.  Heck, if he can continue that his low ISO might not be an issue, he just needs to find a way to get on base.  If all those SBs could combine with the singles to become doubles, his OPS would be off the charts.  

BB-ref shows pickoffs at the major league level, and distinguishes between pure pickoffs and pickoffs/caught stealing.  Unfortunately, they don’t track pickoffs for minor leaguers.   

There are 15 major leaguers who’ve been picked off at least twice this year.  Ronald Acuña Jr. has been picked off 4 times, Jake McCarthy 3.   

BB-ref also tracks outs made on the bases by plays such as: “out advancing on a fly ball, out attempting to reach another base on a hit, doubled off on a line drive, or out attempting to advance on a wild pitch or passed ball.”  Nolan Schanuel leads that category with 5 OOBs, and there are another 9 guys with 4.   So, I’m not sweating the one instance I know of where Bradfield was out trying to stretch a double into a triple.  

All the major league data I cited can be found here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

BB-ref shows pickoffs at the major league level, and distinguishes between pure pickoffs and pickoffs/caught stealing.  Unfortunately, they don’t track pickoffs for minor leaguers.   

There are 15 major leaguers who’ve been picked off at least twice this year.  Ronald Acuña Jr. has been picked off 4 times, Jake McCarthy 3.   

BB-ref also tracks outs made on the bases by plays such as: “out advancing on a fly ball, out attempting to reach another base on a hit, doubled off on a line drive, or out attempting to advance on a wild pitch or passed ball.”  Nolan Schanuel leads that category with 5 OOBs, and there are another 9 guys with 4.   So, I’m not sweating the one instance I know of where Bradfield was out trying to stretch a double into a triple.  

All the major league data I cited can be found here.

Acuña got picked off twice in one game against the Mets recently (I was watching that game). 

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Watching James McCann run the bases yesterday increased my thirst for playoff EBJ if the Orioles feel a 3-game or 5-game series can be managed by 12 pitchers.

Can EBJ catch?  😏

Just now, emmett16 said:

Finished 3 for 4 OPS up to .745

He’s getting his extra base hits of late.  His ISO is up to .145.  If he can maintain that, he’ll be a legit prospect.