Enrique Bradfield Jr. 2024

Frobby

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

So we're less than a year out (much less in baseball days) and we're going to start drawing conclusions about a guy we knew had to develop? At this point, I think Bradfield and the O's deserve a grace period to let the kid develop. It's just waaaaay too early to draw any conclusions, IMO. I've never seen Kenny Lofton potential, but that doesn't mean he can't turn into a first division CF for many years.

The Kenny Lofton comps were weird to me out of the gate, they still are.  I mean, I get why they're made but I think people forget what a great hitter Kenny Lofton was.  

For his Cleveland years, he was .303/.379.  He had years where he hit .325, .349, .333.  In 1994, the year he hit .349 and was a 7.2 WAR player...in a strike shortened year.  He was 4th in MVP because Frank Thomas was in his prime, Griffey Jr was on pace to break the home run record and Albert Belle was driving in a lot of runs and he hit .357, too.

Now I don't know if anyone predicted Kenny Lofton would turn out to be the player he turned out to be, but I also just thought it was weird that people threw out Kenny Lofton's name out there as an idea of the skill set and type of player he can be...but I don't think anyone should be predicting Bradfield becoming that dangerous at the plate.

Fully agree on a grace period and letting him develop, he wasn't advertised as a finished product, either.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

For his Cleveland years, he was .303/.379.  He had years where he hit .325, .349, .333.  In 1994, the year he hit .349 and was a 7.2 WAR player...in a strike shortened year.  He was 4th in MVP because Frank Thomas was in his prime, Griffey Jr was on pace to break the home run record and Albert Belle was driving in a lot of runs and he hit .357, too.

As your post illustrates, Lofton played in an entirely different offensive era too. Expectations for Bradfield need to be in the context of today's game.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This sounds reckless or maybe he's just that high on his speed that he thinks he can leg anything out.  And that he's playing against better competition than he did in college.  Maybe in college he makes it to third because the RF doesn't gather it cleanly, hit the cutoff, etc.  

Or maybe he's just that reckless. 

I get the feeling he thinks he’s faster than a speeding bullet and it’s worked before.  I think you’re right.  He has to adjust to the level of competition.  Defenses are going to keep getting better as he moves up.  He can’t expect defenses to make mistakes.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This sounds reckless or maybe he's just that high on his speed that he thinks he can leg anything out.  And that he's playing against better competition than he did in college.  Maybe in college he makes it to third because the RF doesn't gather it cleanly, hit the cutoff, etc.  

Or maybe he's just that reckless. 

My impression is that the O’s really push their players to be aggressive at the lower levels.  It’s like, test your limits and you can always back off later.   

Anyway, I’m pleased that Bradfield is showing a bit of doubles/triples power in the early going.   

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

As your post illustrates, Lofton played in an entirely different offensive era too. Expectations for Bradfield need to be in the context of today's game.

Entirely different offensive era, but still was a 7.2 WAR player.  

I think expectations for Bradfield need to be in the context that guys with WAR seasons like that just don't grow on trees no matter what the era is.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I get the feeling he thinks he’s faster than a speeding bullet and it’s worked before.  I think you’re right.  He has to adjust to the level of competition.  Defenses are going to keep getting better as he moves up.  He can’t expect defenses to make mistakes.

Curious, how many times has he been thrown out on the bases?   He’s 12/13 in stolen bases so far, a very good percentage.  I know he got thrown out last night trying to stretch a double into a triple.  Have there been other instances?   He’s scored 15 times in 17 games despite a so-so .338 OBP, so I’d say his baserunning has been an ssset.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Curious, how many times has he been thrown out on the bases?   He’s 12/13 in stolen bases so far, a very good percentage.  I know he got thrown out last night trying to stretch a double into a triple.  Have there been other instances?   He’s scored 15 times in 17 games despite a so-so .338 OBP, so I’d say his baserunning has been an ssset.   

I’ve seen him thrown out before.  I don’t keep count but this isn the first time.  He does manufacture runs although that’s going to decrease as he moves up.  I’d say he’s scored multiple runs like last night where he steals 3B and the catcher makes a bad throw and he continues home.  Last night the throw got about 10-15 feet between the 3B and SS and he got up and scored easily.  My impression is that when running the bases he needs to learn his limits.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ve seen him thrown out before.  I don’t keep count but this isn the first time.  He does manufacture runs although that’s going to decrease as he moves up.  I’d say he’s scored multiple runs like last night where he steals 3B and the catcher makes a bad throw and he continues home.  Last night the throw got about 10-15 feet between the 3B and SS and he got up and scored easily.  My impression is that when running the bases he needs to learn his limits.

Well, you learn by testing the limits.  I’m fine with him doing that at this level.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, you learn by testing the limits.  I’m fine with him doing that at this level.

Agreed.  He probably knew he hit it over the OFers head.  And historically that's a 2B for him as the defense is pushed for perfection. Lessons have to be learned.  And failure is a good teacher.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Kenny Lofton comps were weird to me out of the gate, they still are.  I mean, I get why they're made but I think people forget what a great hitter Kenny Lofton was.  

Gunnar embraced baseball full time earlier than Lofton did, but watching Gunnar now I wonder if he could have been Kenny Lofton or Ben McDonald or Pat Connaughton good at basketball if he kept at it.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

Bradfield has shown some signs of heating up since returning from the IL.  Tonight, he singled and tripled in 5 PA to raise his BA to .247 and his OPS to .715.   Not where you’d want them but moving north a bit in May.  He also stole a base, but then got picked off 2B. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bradfield has shown some signs of heating up since returning from the IL.  Tonight, he singled and tripled in 5 PA to raise his BA to .247 and his OPS to .715.   Not where you’d want them but moving north a bit in May.  He also stole a base, but then got picked off 2B. 

I was just noticing that he's put up an .810 OPS since his return (over 7 games). Baby steps, but nice to see.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:37 PM, Frobby said:

Do you have any concerns he could build bad habits that take advantage of the lower quality of defense in the minors? As in, the defense will get better as he continues to move up and his aggressiveness could cause him to run into outs? 

I'm kind of on your line of thinking though, let him run.