Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

Does anyone on this forum know if it’s possible for Orioles to make more than one Qualifying Offer for player this coming free agent period ?  
example  Burnes -QO  Santander - QO 

if yes , two extra 1st round picks would make nice additions to our farm system 

Edited by Allan Bryant

57 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Does anyone on this forum know if it’s possible for Orioles to make more than one Qualifying Offer for player this coming free agent period ?  

Santander won’t get a QO, and if he did, he would accept. His defense is declining and we have too many capable youngsters who should replace him effectively.

But to your question, I don’t know if there’s a limit, but I doubt it.

55 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

It is absolutely possible. In 2022, the Mets gave a QO to Bassitt, Nikki, and DeGrom. The Red Sox gave a QO to Boegarts and Eovaldi. The Yankees gave a QO to Judge and Rizzo. The Dodgers gave a QO to Turner and Anderson.

I know that it seems to be a foregone conclusion that Santander will not be on the team after this season, and while I generally agree that it is more probable than not that he will not be re-signed, I do think there is a non-zero chance that he will be retained. I think he is the most likely of Mullins, Hays, and himself to be retained, even if it is a small chance. The team has told us how they feel about his bat because he plays essentially everyday, and I have heard Kostka say that they value his clubhouse presence.

3 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

the question isn’t about being able to make the offers, it’s about being awarded compensatory picks for more than one.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

the question isn’t about being able to make the offers, it’s about being awarded compensatory picks for more than one.

The answer appears to be, yes, you can receive more than one compensation picks.

Angels -- Shohei Ohtani: Pick after Competitive Balance Round B
Blue Jays -- Matt Chapman: Pick after Round 4
Cubs -- Cody Bellinger: Pick after Competitive Balance Round B
Padres -- Blake Snell: Pick after Round 4
Padres -- Josh Hader: Pick after Round 4

• Upvote 1

picks

If a team that loses a qualifying free agent is a revenue-sharing recipient and the free agent signs for at least $50 million, the team will be awarded a pick between the first round and Competitive Balance Round A.

Minnesota Twins

Compensation for Sonny Gray. The Cardinals forfeited their second-round pick for signing Gray.

If a team that loses a qualifying free agent does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, it is awarded a compensatory pick after Competitive Balance Round B.

Los Angeles Angels

Compensation for Shohei Ohtani. The Dodgers forfeited their second- and fifth-round picks for signing Ohtani.

If a team that loses a qualifying free agent does not receive revenue sharing and did exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, it is awarded a compensatory pick after the fourth round.

San Diego Padres

Compensation for Josh Hader. The Astros forfeited their second-round pick for signing Hader.

San Diego Padres

Compensation for Blake Snell. The Giants forfeited their third-round pick for signing Snell.

Toronto Blue Jays

Compensation for Matt Chapman. The Giants forfeited their second-round pick for signing Chapman.

I used to think we had a plethora of outfielders ready to replace the current guys, but not I'm not sure. Cowser is one. Does the FO trust Stowers? Heston is another as far as his bat goes, but how bad is the defense if you have Stowers, Cowser and Heston? How long before Bradfield is ready? Will Norby or Mayo move to the OF? Does that make it any better. If Santander has his typical year, I would give him the QO. So what if you have to pay him large for one year? It's not like our payroll is high right now.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

picks

If a team that loses a qualifying free agent is a revenue-sharing recipient and the free agent signs for at least $50 million, the team will be awarded a pick between the first round and Competitive Balance Round A.

Minnesota Twins

Compensation for Sonny Gray. The Cardinals forfeited their second-round pick for signing Gray.

Are there any other qualifications other than signing a contract for 50+M?  A contract of that value spread over 3-4 years would give him a raise and make other teams give some consideration to sign him.  I think that's the only way a QO would work for him.  But I don't think they put him in jeopardy - altho the Orioles could match an offer, I suppose.  I think they value him pretty highly even if he won't command top money. 

Unless Santander goes on an absolute tear the rest of the season, I don't think he turns down a qualifying offer. And even then, it'd be real easy to look at FA deals for 30-ish year old outfielders who are good regulars but not stars and realize there's a good chance he won't beat a QO in guaranteed money, especially with a QO attached.

As much as I'd like the pick, I don't want to gamble 20-30M and another year of stunted opportunity for our young outfielders on Santander turning down a QO.

Edited by ChosenOne21

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Santander won’t get a QO, and if he did, he would accept. His defense is declining and we have too many capable youngsters who should replace him effectively.

But to your question, I don’t know if there’s a limit, but I doubt it.

I have not seen any reports of a limit on the number of qualifying offers a team can make.  

I disagree that Santander is unlikely to receive a QO, or that he will accept it if he gets one.  Of course, it depends how the rest of his season plays out.  But I’ve been on record that if Santander has a season as good as the last two (120/121 OPS+), he should get a QO and will turn it down.  Right now he’s at 131 OPS+, so we’ll see how it goes from here.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have not seen any reports of a limit on the number of qualifying offers a team can make.  

I disagree that Santander is unlikely to receive a QO, or that he will accept it if he gets one.  Of course, it depends how the rest of his season plays out.  But I’ve been on record that if Santander has a season as good as the last two (120/121 OPS+), he should get a QO and will turn it down.  Right now he’s at 131 OPS+, so we’ll see how it goes from here.  

I 2nd that.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So if we go with Fangraphs value assessment he was worth $18.7M in 2022 and $20.6M in 2023. He's currently at $10M for 2024 and trending to his best value yet. He's 29 this season so he's likely at or around his peak but could very likely produce another season of value at or around $20-22M. He's been healthy for the most part as well. Of note also is that he has been worth an estimated $59M in his career that has been exclusively with the O's who acquired him as a Rule 5 draft pick. 

Assuming next years QO is more than the $20.3M that the 2024 number was, I think he will get a QO and I have no idea what he will do with it. Assuming he accepts, I see little downside likely for the Os. If he declines...

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/anthony-santander/14551/stats?position=OF

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-24-qualifying-offer-candidates-and-decisions

Edited by Jim'sKid26
references