David Rubenstein 2024

27 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Clearly means we're signing Juan Soto when he hits FA.

Why would we do that? Does he pitch? That's where the need will be in the offseason. Why try to outbid the Yankees for Soto on the open market when we have our own young superstars to extend?

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

He certainly has the casual fan tone down. Cal Ripken, Orioles Magic, etc. I know a lot of fans where this is really working for them, and it's probably a good business decision to tap into that subsect of fans. For me, it's a little eye-rolly. 

How are you improving the organization? That's all I care about. I'm confident he'll do good work. But you can miss me with the 80s callbacks. It's 2024 and it's a new brand of baseball in Baltimore. Show me the work. That's why everyone is excited about this ownership. 

And I've said from the beginning that I'm not just going to give DR a blanket pass simply because he's not Angelos. We have no idea if he will spend. We have no idea what he will or won't do. Again, I'm confident he will, but until he does something, ya know... actions speak louder than words/social media posts

You are correct in your final statement, actions do speak louder than words. It is important in terms of what he does not necessarily what he says. So why are you looking for him to say what he is going to do to fix/address the issues that you outlined in previous things you posted in this thread?

By the way, the guy has owned the team for a little over a month, can we give it until say maybe the Allstar break before we actually see what he's working on?

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would we do that? Does he pitch? That's where the need will be in the offseason. Why try to outbid the Yankees for Soto on the open market when we have our own young superstars to extend?

It was a joke, mate. Maybe you're playing along, but it was a joke because of the Gunnar extension fun from the last DR video.

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just a promo thing for the heck of it? Getting a little tired of these. Just say what you're working on, if anything.

I swear no one on this board is capable of smiling, taking a joke, being light hearted, finding pleasure, or not taking themselves way too serious. It’s a shame because I loved the little post of Rubinstein. Gimme more!! Maybe I’m just a dummy.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You are correct in your final statement, actions do speak louder than words. It is important in terms of what he does not necessarily what he says. So why are you looking for him to say what he is going to do to fix/address the issues that you outlined in previous things you posted in this thread?

By the way, the guy has owned the team for a little over a month, can we give it until say maybe the Allstar break before we actually see what he's working on?

I want to be clear that I'm thrilled the guy is here. I know it's apparently impossible to have conflicting/nuanced opinions on the same topic these days, but it does happen. I think I can be excited about DR as well as skeptical until we see what he accomplishes. Seems like a reasonable position to have to me. I've been called both a pollyanna on this board as well as a negative nancy. Interesting. 

For me, when these social media posts come out, it only serves to remind me that nothing has really been done yet that we know of. So it reminds me, oh right, what's he working on right now? According to his broadcast booth appearance earlier in the year, we know he wants to work on MASN, the ground lease, and the stadium renovations. Wonderful. Can we get an update? 

That update would be words, not actions, and I get that that contradicts my "actions speak louder" thing. You got me there I guess. But something more in line with an official statement from DR on work being done would suffice as "action" for me right now. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

well this thread proves that there are some people who will find negativity in literally anything, and turn any thread here negative.  Just absurd that anyone could find anything remotely negative to say about a playful video/tweet from the new owner.

Its just wild that people can't just sit back for a bit and enjoy what we have going on.  New owner, first place team, young studs all over the diamond, a good and respected manager, an excellent and cutting edge level front office.  But yeah, lets bitch about lineup construction, the 'Sigbot', and the owner being too playful.

WTF man.

(and per usual, cue the 'everybody is entitled to an opinion' posts.  Technically true as always, but what is the point of being miserable all the time?  This is supposed to be fun, and more importantly - IT FINALLY IS IF YOU LET IT!!!!)

Who's to say I'm not enjoying everything going on. You can find multiple instances me saying I'm excited and optimistic about DR in the last few posts. But continue to hear what you want to hear I guess. 

9 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I swear no one on this board is capable of smiling, taking a joke, being light hearted, finding pleasure, or not taking themselves way too serious. 4

No one?  Read the last two pages.   Plenty of people enjoyed this.   As did I.

I do find it an interesting choice that Rubenstein is keeping a pretty high profile so far.  Obviously, it's for the purpose of ginning up interest in the team and building a rapport with the fan base, which is great.   But it also clearly gins up expectations that he is going to be a very different owner than the low-profile Angelos owners were.  So, that will heighten expectations that he will spend, etc.   I'm sure he must know this.  It will be an interesting first 12 months, for sure.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

For me, when these social media posts come out, it only serves to remind me that nothing has really been done yet that we know of. So it reminds me, oh right, what's he working on right now? According to his broadcast booth appearance earlier in the year, we know he wants to work on MASN, the ground lease, and the stadium renovations. Wonderful. Can we get an update? 

That update would be words, not actions, and I get that that contradicts my "actions speak louder" thing. You got me there I guess. But something more in line with an official statement from DR on work being done would suffice as "action" for me right now. 

I think it's premature and perhaps unrealistic to expect any big substantive updates at this point.   I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes, and they can stay behind the scenes for the time being so far as I'm concerned.  I suspect we will hear substantive stuff from Rubenstein from time to time when something significant happens.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think it's premature and perhaps unrealistic to expect any big substantive updates at this point.   I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes, and they can stay behind the scenes for the time being so far as I'm concerned.  I suspect we will hear substantive stuff from Rubenstein from time to time when something significant happens.

I expect we will too, and I agree it's probably premature to expect that now. I'm just impatient to know more and get a good handle on this ownership group.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

?

I'm as thrilled as anyone about the team. That has nothing to do with the owner, who I just would rather have a proper update from instead of social media posts, that's all. I don't think it's that controversial of a take. I'm just eager to hear some news. 

What do you want him to properly update you on? The team is doing well, and we have an owner that actually cares about the past, the now, and the future. They're all good fun, but either way, not sure what you would expect him to update the fans on. He's not going to talk extensions (though I heard Gunnar is the priority and they are working on one), stadium upgrades (doubt anything is decided yet) and the on field product is doing just fine. Anyways, in season, the only person(s) we should hear about the on field product is Elias and or Hyde.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Love it!!! It feels great as a fan and paying customer to have an owner who seems engaged and actually seems to care.

Correct response.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No one?  Read the last two pages.   Plenty of people enjoyed this.   As did I.

I do find it an interesting choice that Rubenstein is keeping a pretty high profile so far.  Obviously, it's for the purpose of ginning up interest in the team and building a rapport with the fan base, which is great.   But it also clearly gins up expectations that he is going to be a very different owner than the low-profile Angelos owners were.  So, that will heighten expectations that he will spend, etc.   I'm sure he must know this.  It will be an interesting first 12 months, for sure.

I do think you are right here. It will be hard for him to be high profile owner who is doing promo's to becoming a miserly McScrooge when it comes to spending in the offseason. 

All of this in my mind points to good news for the team and fans.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It was a joke, mate. Maybe you're playing along, but it was a joke because of the Gunnar extension fun from the last DR video.

I never can tell on this board. Sometimes when I think people are joking they are serious. And sometimes when I think people are serious they are joking. My apologies.