Holliday optioned, McKenna recalled

Brian88

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t think he was, he had cleared waivers before. That’s why they DFA Banuelos again, to get him back on. 

You're right, my bad. Though it makes some sense that they want to bring up someone they don't mind DFAing again.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not too surprised about Holliday.  I’m somewhat surprised about McKenna.  I guess they want an option for late inning defense in the OF for Santander or Kjerstad.  

My guess is that we needed another Right-handed outfielder, and we have all lefties and one switch.  Easy move since McKenna is already on the 40 man.  Stowers time will come soon.

McKenna should be nothing but a late innings defensive replacement or maybe a one spot start against an upcoming lefty which Hays may be healthy by then.  He should not take any AB's away from Cowser and/or Mullins, but we know Hyde will probably sit Cowser.

This is a head scratcher as I thought Holliday should be given more time but to see him being sent down with McKenna coming up... barf.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what the Hays injury situation is, but this may be a very short call-up for McKenna.  I think Hays is eligible to come off the IL on Wednesday.  

I bet he stays and Kjerstad goes.

It is what it is, baby. 

At least we kept Kjerstad up. I, and others, had speculated two things recently:

1. That Holliday would be sent out prior to the Yankees series - check

2. That calling up Kjerstad's lefty bat instead of replacing Hays' righty bat was a bad omen for Holliday - check

Edited by interloper

3 things.. 1st.. why not give JH the weekend against the A's to see if he turns it around? He's been better lately. If he sucks all weekend then make the move before the NYY series. Stupid timing. 2nd.. They should have just brought McKenna up the other day instead of Kjerstad. As a 4th OF, HK is not gonna get regular ABs, and even more so now w/ McKenna here. Lastly.. why not Mayo or Norby? Get ready for lots of Urias and Mateo. And full on meltdown on this board if McKenna is penciled in at 2nd. And I actually don't hate McKenna as much as many others here do..

And McKenna was NOT on the 40. That's why they DFAed Banuelos. I bet Kjerstad goes when Hays comes back unless HK starts raking. McKenna is out of options and they probably dont want to expose him to waivers again.