Any Interest in Aaron Hicks?

• sportsfan8703 changed the title to Any Interest in Kevin Pillar or Aaron Hicks?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/angels-designate-aaron-hicks-for-assignment-select-cole-tucker.html

Updating to include Hicks. 

McKenna is only back because Holliday struggled. I love Hicks’ ability to SH. Hicks only left to pursue an everyday gig. I think there are still ABs here as a 5th OF and against LHP. 

Postseason success for us in 2023. Can switch hit. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/angels-designate-aaron-hicks-for-assignment-select-cole-tucker.html

McKenna is only back because Holliday struggled. I love Hicks’ ability to SH. Hicks only left to pursue an everyday gig. I think there are still ABs here as a 5th OF and against LHP. 

I know he had a nice impact on the O's last season but Hicks was cut for cause.

It isn't easy to put up -.6 rWAR in just 57 at bats.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we may have milked the last drop of productivity out of Hicks last year.  He looked terrible when we saw him this year.  Maybe if we got him, lightning would strike twice, but I don’t think it’s wise to hope for that.  

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know he had a nice impact on the O's last season but Hicks was cut for cause.

It isn't easy to put up -.6 rWAR in just 57 at bats.

We haven’t gotten much value out of the roster spot that’s been occupied by Kemp->Holliday->Mckenna. Hicks did a fine job with that spot last year. I like that he can play all three OF spots. He can SH. He also gives us the ability to throw 8 RHH out there versus LHP. So that would give us the ability to throw 8 oppo handed hitters vs LH SP and RH SP.

Mckenna is just depth. He’ll likely clear waivers again. 90% chance. The Angels are a wasteland. Look how much better Webb, and that Asian dude, have been since they got out of there. Eppei couldn’t even win a bet out there because of their dark cloud.

I am putting zero stock into his stats with the Angels. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I don't think they're going to go through all the machinations of acquiring a Pillar or a Hicks and DFA-ing a McKenna then DFA-ing Pillar or Hicks when Hays comes back in, what, a week or two? 

1 minute ago, vab said:

I don't think they're going to go through all the machinations of acquiring a Pillar or a Hicks and DFA-ing a McKenna then DFA-ing Pillar or Hicks when Hays comes back in, what, a week or two? 

Kjerstad goes down for Hays. 

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The only reason this thread exists. McKenna’s play was unforgivable. 85% catch chance. Cowser’s throw is a little forgivable. It’s his 2nd season with the club, not his 4th. That throw to Urias is still dribbling to him. 

There is no way that is a 85% catch chance I don’t care what some statcast numbers say.  Line drive directly at you is one of the hardest plays as an outfielder because you can’t judge it well.  He didn’t get great read on it but most outfielders won’t either and it was over his head without him even touching it.  Could he have made the catch sure if he gets a great read and reacts right away but it was at best a could be catch not anywhere near 85% catch chance.  

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

There is no way that is a 85% catch chance I don’t care what some statcast numbers say.  Line drive directly at you is one of the hardest plays as an outfielder because you can’t judge it well.  He didn’t get great read on it but most outfielders won’t either and it was over his head without him even touching it.  Could he have made the catch sure if he gets a great read and reacts right away but it was at best a could be catch not anywhere near 85% catch chance.  

I think it’s important to realize that Catch Probability is a useful tool, but it doesn’t accurately capture every nuance of the game.  It’s based on hang time and the distance the fielder has to travel.  Some adjustments are made based on the direction the fielder has to travel and proximity to the wall, but those adjustments can’t and don’t take into account all the nuances there.  So, I agree that 85% feels like a huge overestimate there. At the same time, it’s difficult for a TV viewer to tell what kind of jump the outfielder got on a ball, because the camera doesn’t shift to the fielder until mid-play.   So, viewer impressions of how difficult a play was aren’t always correct, either.  

I honestly don't care who we have for the 5th OF/defensive replacement spot. Actually I don't think it is necessary at all when we have Mateo on the roster. Once we get Hays back that is plenty of OF versatility and I'd rather have Kjerstad or Norby for an extra bat.