Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just some notable things,

Fuji has a 10+ ERA for the Mets AAA team and hasn't appeared in an MLB game.

Jorge Lopez has a 2.66 ERA for the Mets in 21 appearances.  

The CWS look like an expansion team.  

The White Sox have played respectably of late.  They started the year 3-22 but have gone 11-8 since then.  

I did note that Lopez seems to be pitching well again.  Nice to see.  

I would expect Elias first move to be a guy they think they can fix first. Coulombe, Webb, Cano type pitcher. If that doesn’t work then he will trade for a legit back end guy. Kopech would count as a guy he would think he could fix.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I would expect Elias first move to be a guy they think they can fix first. Coulombe, Webb, Cano type pitcher. If that doesn’t work then he will trade for a legit back end guy. Kopech would count as a guy he would think he could fix.

I hope the first move is to get a guy that doesn't need to be fixed.

• Upvote 4

Luis Garcia from LAA seems interesting. RHP that throws 96. 2.76 xERA, gets a ton of chase (37%) and whiffs (29%), and is still a GB pitcher (50%). ERA is 5.19 right now but that’s due to a LOB% of 51%. FIP is 2.71 and xFIP is 3.01. The last 3 years he has been about equally as effective vs LHP’s and RHP’s. Not a closer but would be a solid 7th/8th inning option and is better against LHB’s than Cano.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree. I don’t understand the rationale of going after a fixer upper when you have a team with legit World Series aspirations. Why take the risk? That seems unnecessary IMO. We already have a very low payroll, great young MLB talent, and an overabundance of position prospects. Trying to problem solve on the cheap doesn’t make much sense to me at this point.

21 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Luis Garcia from LAA seems interesting. RHP that throws 96. 2.76 xERA, gets a ton of chase (37%) and whiffs (29%), and is still a GB pitcher (50%). ERA is 5.19 right now but that’s due to a LOB% of 51%. FIP is 2.71 and xFIP is 3.01. The last 3 years he has been about equally as effective vs LHP’s and RHP’s. Not a closer but would be a solid 7th/8th inning option and is better against LHB’s than Cano.

I like this. Good post.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just some notable things,

Fuji has a 10+ ERA for the Mets AAA team and hasn't appeared in an MLB game.

Jorge Lopez has a 2.66 ERA for the Mets in 21 appearances.  

The CWS look like an expansion team.  

I thought I saw he just got called up…. Fuji

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree. I don’t understand the rationale of going after a fixer upper when you have a team with legit World Series aspirations. Why take the risk? That seems unnecessary IMO. We already have a very low payroll, great young MLB talent, and an overabundance of position prospects. Trying to problem solve on the cheap doesn’t make much sense to me at this point.

Using and leveraging one asset ( your scouting, development, and analytical assets)  while minimizing the hit on your other assets (current minor league players and future MLB players).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Using and leveraging one asset ( your scouting, development, and analytical assets)  while minimizing the hit on your other assets (current minor league players and future MLB players).  

That’s certainly one way to go about things and I can respect that rationale. However, if you believe in your drafting and player development then you don’t have to hoarde prospects to the degree that you are afraid to exchange any valued ones for proven Major League talent. I get wanted to keep your draft 1:1/special guys. But I don’t get being afraid to part with “non lottery pick”/top tier guys.

I don't know much about Kopech but if a guy can't command his pitches and get it over the strike zone quadrents, then throwing 100mph doesn’t do a thing to help the team.  Even Bautista has games where batters took him the yard when he couldn't command his stuff, so just throwing 100 isn't the magic elixer.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not saying I disagree, just my opinion with how it goes. Elias and Cardinals GM were able to agree on Flaherty deal. Hopefully they can agree to something again for Helsey.

13 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

That’s certainly one way to go about things and I can respect that rationale. However, if you believe in your drafting and player development then you don’t have to hoarde prospects to the degree that you are afraid to exchange any valued ones for proven Major League talent. I get wanted to keep your draft 1:1/special guys. But I don’t get being afraid to part with “non lottery pick”/top tier guys.

I don’t think they are.  They traded Hernaiz for Irvin & Ortiz/Hall for Burnes. 

13 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't know much about Kopech but if a guy can't command his pitches and get it over the strike zone quadrents, then throwing 100mph doesn’t do a thing to help the team.  Even Bautista has games where batters took him the yard when he couldn't command his stuff, so just throwing 100 isn't the magic elixer.

We could go after the White Sox lower WHIP guys in Leasure and Shuster. They are 1.09 & .94 respectively. Of course they lack the Ks most guys drool over 13 in 18ip & 9 in 16ip respectively. I’d imagine these guys wouldnt cost as much.