Thought Exercise: How to Improve Strike Calling W/O Robo Ump

Jagwar

Just for the sake of this thread's topic, suppose Robo Ump is completely off the table, for whatever reason. How do you improve the balls/strikes calling in MLB?

1. Have MLB use the grading system available to us online to evaluate umps when they are behind the plate.
  2. Pay umpires a per game bonus when they are behind the plate.
  3. Use the grading system to set thresholds on correct called balls/strikes that umpires have to achieve. If they fall below a certain level, they get penalized
    1. First offense is a warning
    2. Second offense they get skipped on the next rotation, missing out on the per game bonus
    3. Third offense they miss out on home plate for a month

Just spitballing. How could they improve strike calling if the Robo Ump is a no go?

Just now, Frobby said:

Is the grading system available to us actually accurate?  I don’t really know though I usually assume it is.  

I think they meant to make the one they already use available to fans so we can abuse them on social media.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Is the grading system available to us actually accurate?  I don’t really know though I usually assume it is.  

I read somewhere that MLB's accuracy tolerance on balls/strikes is quite a bit more lenient than the popular accounts that grade umpires like Umpire Scorecards. Can't remember where right now...

So while those scorecards may be accurate in terms of pitch placement, they are almost certainly inaccurate in terms of the grading criteria that MLB uses.

I don't think financial incentives would really help. I believe the umpires are trying to be good, they are just human beings and we are worse than robots. I think the system they are using now in the minors is great. Let the humans call it but give the batters a chance to challenge egregious calls a few times per game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I'm guessing that they have enough reliable data to evaluate.

An additional question... would the umpire union approve of any evaluation system?

There is one in place.  Home plate umps get graded on performance.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is one in place.  Home plate umps get graded on performance.

For balls and strikes? Are there any consequences for poor performance?