Developing situation with Mountcastle?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I love how you're using "developing situation" here.  

That is just a side benefit.   I gave no thought to how you would think of it when aI wrote it.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure it is.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not an explanation.  

Actually I agree with it. As I said in my post I don't have an explanation aside from SSS. What I dislike is the superior tone when actually what I said is completely consistent with the view that there is a lot of random fluctuation in baseball.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Everything you say here is true and I would still plan on Mounty being a 550ish PA guy.  Right now, he’s on pace to be more like 625.

The OPS isn’t awful, as you point out but would it be surprising if Kjerstad could do better?  No, not at all.  So, I think Mounty needs to sit a little more.

I’m not necessarily against this, just because Kjerstad needs more opportunity to show what he can do.  Not sure it’s an upgrade but I wouldn’t mind finding out.  

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Actually I agree with it. As I said in my post I don't have an explanation aside from SSS. What I dislike is the superior tone when actually what I said is completely consistent with the view that there is a lot of random fluctuation in baseball.

@Can_of_cornand superior tone, eh?

I've learned that if you kind of ignore him, the tone really doesn't matter :)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Orioles Jim said:

Just curious, where does Westburg fit in as far as everyday/what kind of games starter would be optimal for him, IYO?

Need to see a little more from him. Right now, I would have no issue with treating him like I said Mounty IF we had multiple IFers up here and needed to get at bats for everyone.(but obviously, this isn’t currently an issue)

That said, his trajectory is that of an everyday guy.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Given enough time almost everyone ends up with a platoon split that's roughly average. I would bet that Mountcastle is no different, and when all is said and done his career splits will be something like his career marks right now: around .850 against lefties, .750 against righties. Year to year that will be influenced by random variation.

Then we should spice up the thread title to reflect this developing situation: 

Studies Show O's First Baseman at Risk for Random Variation!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not necessarily against this, just because Kjerstad needs more opportunity to show what he can do.  Not sure it’s an upgrade but I wouldn’t mind finding out.  

Right.  It may not be an upgrade.  I feel pretty good saying it will be but I would certainly not guarantee it..but yes, let’s find out.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You are speculating and I am just questioning what happens  next.   

Yes, in the way you always do: Luis Hernandez is five for his last 16. We should monitor the situation closely to see if he's really going to be a .312 hitter over the rest of his career (despite no other evidence that this is in any way likely).

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is just a side benefit.   I gave no thought to how you would think of it when aI wrote it.

Ha! I knew you weren't actually a real person. Has ChatGPT just been using you as a test platform for years?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

One of the best, immediate, reverse jinx threads ever. Mountcastle hits a game winning home run hours later. You can’t make that up. We all should’ve bet the HR prop. 

Off a RHP :)

19 hours ago, 24fps said:

My point is that several posters, including myself, found the thread title misleading.  A lot of us know that the OH can be trusted as a source of credible news and opinion.  If you want to erode that trust, one really good way to do it is to slant your thread titles as a cheap attention grab which is clearly the case here.  In the end it's an annoyance and little more, but you got some worthwhile feedback on this.

Fair enough, but I guess I just don't see how the title of Wildcard's post erodes the credibility of the thread or forums. 

While it could have been read in different ways, it actually fit what Wildcard was going for and I can't really ding him for that. I've seen seriously misleading titles and changed them, but in this case, I case we'll just have to agree to disagree.

On top of it all, Wildcard, as a 20 year plus member here, will always get some leeway from us. He's an OG. :D

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, in the way you always do: Luis Hernandez is five for his last 16. We should monitor the situation closely to see if he's really going to be a .312 hitter over the rest of his career (despite no other evidence that this is in any way likely).

In Wildcard's defense, he did point to Mountcastle's less than ideal numbers last year vs righties as well. Now obviously this year's numbers are a small sample size, but with Kjerstad basically benched, the idea of monitoring Mountcastle to see if his struggles against right-handers continues was worthy of discussion in my opinion.

Now maybe the title of his thread here is the issue more than the conversation. Obviously Mounty crushed that homer last night off Harvey so now some people will be like, "See he can hit right-handers just fine," but at the end of the day, keep an eye on how a player is performing when another may be able to do better in his place is a worthy discussion in my opinion.

Hays had a small sample size this year before he was basically replaced by Colton Cowser before he got hurt. Hays also struggled the second half of last year. So sometimes a "small sample size" might be enough to make some adjustments to a player's playign time.

Now saying all that, Mountcastle wasn't struggling that badly and as @Frobby point out was actually 104 +rc and his defense is clearly superior to O'Hearn at first base.

With all that said, Mountcastle is going to still get the vast majority of at bats at 1B this year against right-handers unless he suddenly drops into the mid .600 OPS wise.