Developing situation with Mountcastle?

wildcard

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In 2023 Mountcastle had a 1.052 OPS vs lefties but a 640 OPS vs righties.    

So far in  2024 he has a 958 OPS vs lefties and a 711 OPS vs righties.   It's so early in the season that if  Mounty goes 4 for 4 vs a righty things could look different.     But its worth watching.

If the O's need to platoon O'Hearn and Mountcastle  at 1B that opens at bats at DH for  Kjerstad or Mayo.

Too soon to know where this is headed but not too soon to consider.

A bit premature to worry about this early. Plus they do platoon him with O’Hearn. I’d be selective when using him against righties. 

4 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

if that was a headline on ESPN or similar it would 100% be about a legal situation.

Just adding "vs righties" to the end of the thread title makes all the difference.

Eh, to each is own, but the title got you to click on it and see the conversation. To me, that's not a bad title. I'm all about the page views! :D

Seriously though, I don't see an issue with his title and the conversation is certainly valid.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this has developed. He is, as with so many guys on the roster,  not an everyday player. 

Totally agree.

Would love an explanation from Hyde/Elias why Kjerstad is currently on the team if hes not going to get playing time. 

59 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So far in  2024 he has a 958 OPS vs lefties and a 711 OPS vs righties.   It's so early in the season that if  Mounty goes 4 for 4 vs a righty things could look different.     But its worth watching.

If the O's need to platoon O'Hearn and Mountcastle  at 1B that opens at bats at DH for  Kjerstad or Mayo.

Hot off the presses, @wildcard takes a few dozen plate appearances, draws massive and completely unwarranted conclusions from them, and slaps a clickbait headline on the whole thing.

• Haha 4

I had waffles for breakfast today.  It’s a developing situation.   I may have scrambled eggs or pancakes tomorrow.  It depends how I feel.  I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• Haha 1

I’d be doing a strict platoon with O’Hearn. Mountcastle was consistently awful against RHP last year as well. Kjerstad could DH on days that O’Hearn is at 1st.

I would sit Mountcastle (at a minimum) against tough righties.  That is an extra game a week that we can get Kjerstad in the game.  Santander has to be considered for 1-2 sits a week as well.  

Don't see any reason Kjerstad can't be playing four days a week right now between DH, RF, and 1B. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

btw this conversation does have merit.  THANKS!

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't think it helps Kjerstad at all. If Mountcastle is used as a platoon, you likely won't see Kjerstad as DH against a LHP. I doubt they are bringing Mayo up to sit on the bench like Kjerstad. They need to start trading surplus, some of these guys are getting old in AAA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Osornot said:

clickbait? 😄

Content baby.  Content.  haha.  A random hate thread for Mateo/Urias/Kimbrel and even Mountcastle/Hays always gets the job done after an L.  The "homegrowners" are coming for you.  Not homegrown enough.  Too homegrown.  Harvested.  I heard Neil Young is playing locally this weekend.  

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this has developed. He is, as with so many guys on the roster,  not an everyday player. 

It's especially an easy fix with O'Hearn on the roster and hitting as well as he does vs RH pitching.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Why, the developing situation is that Mountcastle is starting to struggle against righties again. If you guys read something into it before clicking, that's on you, not @wildcard.

If that's the case, then there have been several missed opportunities with recent thread titles.  Some proposed revisions:

There's a developing situation with Jackson Holliday.  Mike Elias' biggest failure?

Michael Kopech could be an Oriole by Memorial Day.  The situation is still developing.

Jim Bowden has made a semi-rational trade proposal.  No word yet on a possible identity theft.

Fun.