Could Kremer be next on the IL carousel?

Frobby

I think Urias is probably a very nice guy and a great teammate.   That being said, if Mayo is brought up, he's the guy I wouldn't mind seeing gone.  Mateo is versatile enough to play all over the field.    I'd look to deal Urias for pretty much anything at this point.

Unless it actually was load management, aren't we winning enough to allow Grayson to have a bit of a rehab start?  Also we have an off day on Thursday, so we could just skip Kremer's turn.  The 15 day IL brings in more factors than the 10 day IL that was around for a few seasons.  

43 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I think Mayo would actually play quite a lot. If would put Mayo at 3B, Westburg at 2B and Mateo and Urias on the bench most of the time. I still think Mateo gets ABs vs. LHP but that may be more with Mayo at DH and O'Hearn on the bench and a bit less playing time for McCann and maybe a full off day here and there for Adley. 

I believe if Mayo comes up, he'd get closer to the Holliday treatment than the Kjerstad treatment. Because I believe they're willing to sit Urias/Mateo in ways they aren't currently willing to sit Mullins/Santander/Mountcastle/O'Hearn. Though I guess this depends on the question of Mayo's 3b defense. 

For a guy like Kremer who relies on movement profiles and location (ie “feel” pitcher), I’m surprised that his stuff hasn’t been *more* negatively impacted by the blister.  In his prior starts he was looking at his finger almost every pitch.

Agree with potential Kremer to IL stint, and then pending health of others, move to 6 man rotation for June—>All Star Break given packed schedule with few off days. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Kremer has very good “first time through the order” numbers and then tends to see a drop off when batters face him subsequent times.

While I certainly don’t think he’s a “bullpen pitcher” per se, given the logjam, moving him to the pen could have its advantages. Though there’s a whole nother discussion about that being outweighed by removing the value he adds  as being an effective starter. 

46 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Unless it actually was load management, aren't we winning enough to allow Grayson to have a bit of a rehab start?  Also we have an off day on Thursday, so we could just skip Kremer's turn.  The 15 day IL brings in more factors than the 10 day IL that was around for a few seasons.  

I’m sure GRod is probably trying to convince the team that he doesn’t need a rehab start.   What ML player really wants to spend the day in Bowie or Norfolk in front of 5,000 people in a game that doesn’t count if he doesn’t have to.

They would never do it with Burnes but I do wonder if they would consider the idea of rotating guys into a pen spot for a couple of weeks as a long man.  

Irvin - 2 weeks

Kremer - 2 weeks 

Grayson - 2 weeks 

Means and Bradish I tend to doubt as well. Like a rotating shift at a job. 

Issue of course is getting enough work in that doesn’t screw then up when they go back into rotation.  

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I think Mayo would actually play quite a lot. If would put Mayo at 3B, Westburg at 2B and Mateo and Urias on the bench most of the time. I still think Mateo gets ABs vs. LHP but that may be more with Mayo at DH and O'Hearn on the bench and a bit less playing time for McCann and maybe a full off day here and there for Adley. 

I think all the Mayo fans all going to be unhappy when they see his play at 3B.  Think how much Urias' play cost us at 3B.  Urias is usually rock steady at 3B.  He probably makes like 2 of those plays a season.  Now imagine one of those plays every week.  I'm a big fan of Mayo's bat, but I don't think his defense is MLB ready.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think all the Mayo fans all going to be unhappy when they see his play at 3B.  Think how much Urias' play cost us at 3B.  Urias is usually rock steady at 3B.  He probably makes like 2 of those plays a season.  Now imagine one of those plays every week.  I'm a big fan of Mayo's bat, but I don't think his defense is MLB ready.

That's fair and I haven't seen him defensively since spring training. That said, this winter I was in the camp of Mayo being a 1B/DH. But the rave reviews to his improvement there this spring (as well as the limited play I saw) led me to believe he could be solid--albeit not great--there. In the long run, I don't think we see him there fulltime regardless given the number of players we have. 

This thread has been sidetracked, but to reply to a few points...

Makes no sense to call up Mayo and have him sit on the bench.

Mayo is not playing over Westburg.

Mateo has earned his starting position at 2nd base, if only for his stellar defense.

Urias could be moved on from, but anyone you replace him with will get the same rust collecting treatment and that's not what you want for a prospect like Mayo or Norby.