6-man rotation is officially happening

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

It seems to make little sense to go to a 6 man rotation given how thin the bullpen already is. I certainly hope that is not the plan.

Yes we can “get by” against the struggling Braves using Tate and Akin in high leverage situations. But that odds of using such mid relievers against good opponents (who can hit) is not very likely.

The Orioles organization is not worried about having to use Tate or Akin in high leverage situations during the season.  Especially at the cost of wearing down the starting rotation.  We are playing the long game and fresher arms are more important in October than a 7th inning in June.  The goal is to make the playoffs and be is best equipped as possible with that.  Sure they would like to win the division but it isn’t the most important thing to them.  There goal is to win around 100 games or so get in the playoffs and have everyone as fresh as possible.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why wouldn’t you want Irvin pitching in that series?

Irvin I guess would be fine, I feel like lefties don’t fare too well there, but the whole stadium is a bandbox so 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Orioles organization is not worried about having to use Tate or Akin in high leverage situations during the season.  Especially at the cost of wearing down the starting rotation.  We are playing the long game and fresher arms are more important in October than a 7th inning in June.  The goal is to make the playoffs and be is best equipped as possible with that.  Sure they would like to win the division but it isn’t the most important thing to them.  There goal is to win around 100 games or so get in the playoffs and have everyone as fresh as possible.  

Going with a 6 man rotation and already having lost our best high-leverage reliever is playing the long game?

How is shortening your bullpen playing the long game?

Almost all of our starters save for Burnes have either have starts skipped or been on the IL. We are not going to be able to bubble wrap guys until October (from the rotation) while sacrificing the pen. We will need effectively relievers for the Fall run just like we will need 3/4 starters who are ready to go.

IMO it’s not an either/or proposition but it is both/and. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

True, if they skip two guys (Suarez, Povich) and go back to 4 days rest for the two guys with load management concerns. 

It’ll likely be Suarez, Irvin, and Bradish. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

True, if they skip two guys (Suarez, Povich) and go back to 4 days rest for the two guys with load management concerns. 

I don’t think GRod has any load management concerns. That seems to be made up.

Bradish could pitch on 4 or 5 days rest in that series, so that’s not logical either.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bradish could pitch on 4 or 5 days rest in that series, so that’s not logical either.

Just that they both spent time on the IL recently. I thought perhaps pushing back Bradish's last start and the 6 man rotation were to protect Bradish and possibly Grayson. Maybe not.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Just that they both spent time on the IL recently. I thought perhaps pushing back Bradish's last start and the 6 man rotation were to protect Bradish and possibly Grayson. Maybe not.

I think they recently tried to protect Bradish but I doubt they just keep doing that unless something else pops up.

No reason to protect GRod right now unless something pops up.

The 6 man rotation, which isn’t that smart imo, is easier to pull off when you don’t have days off but with the day off, you don’t need to do that. Bradish and Rodriguez can just pitch on regular rest vs NY..there is currently no reason not to do that.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I am not sure that is likely, since Povich did not get optioned today

Going to be interesting to see what they do in NY.  I don’t like idea of Yanks seeking back to back lefties even with the deep LC.  

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If you pitch Bradish on 5 days rest you'd pitch Rodriguez on 3 days rest?

11 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Going to be interesting to see what they do in NY.  I don’t like idea of Yanks seeking back to back lefties even with the deep LC.  

Yeah I think they need to staggar the lefties in the rotation order. R-R-L-R-L like that.

6 hours ago, Malike said:

If you pitch Bradish on 5 days rest you'd pitch Rodriguez on 3 days rest?

No, I’m just saying Bradish can pitch one way or another.  You don’t throw out Suarez, Irvin and Povich.  at the very least, you get Bradish one of the starts.