Baumann DFA

ChipTait

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My hope is that someone will be anxious to have him and will trade us something in order to jump the line.  

Is there a backpedalling option to DFA where you can pull the guy back and put him back on your 40 man?

10 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Is there a backpedalling option to DFA where you can pull the guy back and put him back on your 40 man?

I think that used to be like July trades or something, but I don't think they do it anymore.

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think that used to be like July trades or something, but I don't think they do it anymore.

Major League Baseball (MLB) no longer has revocable waivers after 2019, and the waiver order is based on record. Before 2019, players could be traded after the trade deadline if they first cleared revocable trade waivers. Revocable waivers allow a team to bring back a player if another team claims them. In other cases, the team cannot withdraw the player, and if claimed, the team will lose the player. These are called "irrevocable waivers". 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Some of the advanced stats don’t like Baumann much.

Again, I have felt that he will pop for a season or 2 and have good numbers but I do agree he’s a dime a dozen type guy.

I just think it limits our options on who we can go to.  If Baker was pitching better I would feel a lot better about the decision.

I do agree that I don’t think he gets claimed.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, I have felt that he will pop for a season or 2 and have good numbers but I do agree he’s a dime a dozen type guy.

I just think it limits our options on who we can go to.  If Baker was pitching better I would feel a lot better about the decision.

Baumann has talent.  I’m slightly surprised they DFA’d him rather than optioning Akin, but this was the right move on merit.   

We’re a top 5 team with a top 10 bullpen (by some measures).  Some other team is going to want our leftovers.  Baumann is a guy who’s hugely frustrating but he’s also the type of guy for whom things could click into place. Some team will take a flyer on that.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gretzkyscores said:

IMHO this is a mistake. Use the Akin option. 3.44 ERA in 17 appearances, not to mention a minor league no-hitter.

Who cares about the minor league no hitter?  That was five years ago.  Whatever arguments there are for Baumann, this isn’t one of them.  

I’m not going to trash Baumann.  He’s had his good moments, and pitched well lately.  But you just never know what you’re getting from one game to the next, and often even from one batter to the next.  I hope he finds a way to become more consistent.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He's absolutely getting claimed.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Baumann gets claimed because I don't think he goes on waivers.    I think Elias will find two or more clubs that want Baumann and he will be traded for someone that Sig and company like in A ball.

This model will probably be repeated with other players later this season and in the off season.

• Upvote 1

I think this is such a potentially big mistake. You remove a solid multi inning reliever right as you enter a period of being a reliever short.

In favor of Perez, who has one good half season since 2022, and Suarez who is 34 and is losing velo, or Akin who would have been a simple option. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think this is such a potentially big mistake. You remove a solid multi inning reliever right as you enter a period of being a reliever short.

In favor of Perez, who has one good half season since 2022, and Suarez who is 34 and is losing velo, or Akin who would have been a simple option. 

“A solid multi inning reliever?”.   Who are we talking about again?

Just now, RZNJ said:

“A solid multi inning reliever?”.   Who are we talking about again?

The numbers the past two years back me up.

Never said he's awesome, but the issue is the 6 man rotation and covering innings.