Extension Priorities

Let's think long term. Of all the ayers the Orioles have, who do you think should get extended and what is your order of priority?

For me I used to say Adley Rutschman was top priority because he is the heart and soul of the clubhouse and pitching staff, and he plays a impactful position that is paramount to a Quarterback but in the sport of baseball.

However, recent weeks have showed me it's Gunnar Henderson who should be top priority. He's an athlete with all the tools, also plays a premium position, and has lifted the Orioles up in a big way to compet for 1st place.

My priority list for players to give extensions and build around, at this present time, thinking about the long term success of the team, is probably...

1.Gunnar Henderson

2. Adley Rutschman 

3.Corbin Burnes (for the right contract)

4. Kyle Bradish

5. Grayson Rodriguez 

Then after that we have to watch and see what we have because we will definitely need a premium Centerfielder and Cedric can still be that in the short term (short term deal) if he's bouncing back.

The outfield situation is a bit unclear for the future, at this moment. More data is needed to decide who plays where. Santander will be valuable throughout the competition of his contract once gets hot like he usually does.

Mountcastle is another guy you don't know what to do with. He's an excellent fielding 1st basemen. And he can hit for alot of power. But he can also be very streaky and inconsistent.

Players like Holliday and Mayo have yet to show their ability in the Majors. Cowser is still developing. So all those unproven players are too early to predict if they would reach their potential, and aren't candidates for an extension.

So I feel pretty good about the players I named in the top 5 to build around.

• Upvote 1

I dont have a priority other than whomever is open to extending should be looked into. Gunnar's going to cost the most after the season he's having and the Witt extension. Burnes seems intent to test free agency and they all might have that view. "Why not test free agency and get the most I can earn".

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You don't have Westburg on your list and that's a crime.

I also think it might be easier to work out an extension with Westburg than the players mentioned above. Grayson I’d be hesitant about and prefer to wait a couple more years before any contract extension negotiations. 

I’m curious what Rubenstein’s appetite will be when it comes to the number of young players this team signs to early contract extensions.

I think you can look at this two ways:

1.  If you could only give one big extension, who would you give it to?

2. Who would be the best person to give an extension to get the ball rolling on locking up some core guys?   Someone had to set the tone.  

While the answers to both questions could be the same, for me they’re not.  I’d say (1) Gunnar but (2) Adley.  Adley has huge actual and symbolic importance to this franchise.  I think locking him up is a little easier than Gunnar, and it sends a message that we want to build around our core and Adley was the charter member of the core.  So, that’s where I’d start.  

Gunnar and Holliday are the easy top 2.

I would extend Adley but I also think it ends up being a mistake but it’s a mistake I can live with.  I wouldn’t go crazy for him though.

The pitchers wouldn’t even be a consideration for me unless I got them a lot cheaper than I think.

Basallo and Mayo enter the picture soon.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

How many times can we talk about extensions? Isn't it getting old? Just wait and see what they do, if anything. 

We all obviously want Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, Holliday, etc extended.

You forgot to include Kimbrel.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

How many times can we talk about extensions? Isn't it getting old? Just wait and see what they do, if anything. 

We all obviously want Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, Holliday, etc extended.

Why not just ignore the thread rather than come in to complain about it?  If it doesn't warrant discussion, it'll die out.  Just wait and see what the thread does. 

I'd try like all get out to sign Gunner. (I know Borass makes this difficult!) The longer you wait on Gunner, the harder it will be. Gunner is IMO a generational talent. I'd have Westburg next and Adley third. I agree Adley was a core piece, but I think my first two are better long-term investments. I'm gun shy on long-term contracts for pitchers. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d give Gunnar the extension Witt got plus you probably have to add something on top of it to “beat it”.

This would be a perfect first move at locking up the Orioles young talent. I know people are going to say Gunnar won’t accept because he’s represented by Boras, but make him say no first before locking up Adley to an extension.