The Main Issue With The Orioles Offense and Approach is its Veteran Hitters - It's Time to Make Changes

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The roster is limited to 26 guys and it's currently full. I guess you could get rid of Urias but I'd you want five OF we already have five: Mullins, Cowser, Santander, Hays, Stowers. If you call up Kjerstad someone has to go. 

I mean more when each of them were up and didn’t get opportunities. Kjerstad got called up to sit on the bench. Same with the other after the had initial struggles. Should be able to rotate in more people. It’s not like Mountcastle, Santander and Mullins need to play every day. 

3 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:
We're at a point in the season where there's enough of a sample size to make some meaningful observations...

Not really. Most numbers don't become more signal than noise for hundreds of PAs.

Also, the front office and field staff are paid to not panic after a three-game sweep in May. I'd love to have seen this board after each of the two 7-game losing streaks the that 1983 Orioles had. Basically the only moves the Orioles made during the '83 season were trading Floyd Rayford (who hadn't been out of the minors yet that year) for Tito Landrum (who played 26 games and had just 44 PAs for the Orioles before the playoffs), and buying Todd Cruz (.558 OPS) from the Mariners. Neither of those had anything to do with their two 7-game skids.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll still argue that 34 at bats is not "plenty of chance".

I would normally agree but he also had only 2 hits, struck out in half of PAs and had maybe 2-3 hard hit balls. I wouldn't have minded him staying up and continuing to play but I understood sending him back down.

Just now, ledzepp8 said:

I would normally agree but he also had only 2 hits, struck out in half of PAs and had maybe 2-3 hard hit balls. I wouldn't have minded him staying up and continuing to play but I understood sending him back down.

I don't think the level of performance changes if something counts as "plenty".

Ten games, to me, isn't an extended opportunity.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

One of the best posts I have ever read on this forum.  Dead serious.  You nailed everything.  I said this last year in my the O's will not win the WS in 2023 post but many here took exception to that.  But your post?  10/10 and everything that you have said is exactly what I have been saying for over a year now.

And it simply comes down to this.  Mullins, Hayes, Urias, O'Hearn, Tony, and others are not going to win you a WS championship.  That is beyond obvious at this point.

So why IN THE H e 11 are we playing them?  I would so much rather play the youngsters and give them a chance because guess what.....we don't know if they can help win the O's a WS championship.   They could.  They could not.  But at least there is a chance.  And I would play younger guys that have a chance over guys like the old vets who have SAWKED for over a year now and who cost 10 x more. 

I am not really sure why this is even an issue at this point.   We seem to be the only organization in the history of baseball that would rather play old middling vets (who you have to pay more money to btw), over youngsters with way more potential and who cost much less.

It is bizarre. 

It would be pretty challenging to write a more stereotypical overreacting fan on a messageboard post than this.

Do you guys realized that this poorly-managed team of over-the-hill chumps currently has a 94% chance at making the post-season, and the 3rd-best odds of anyone in MLB of winning the World Series?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I would have called him up for Opening Day and kept him in the lineup until Memorial Day unless he was hitting .103 in 175 PAs. You don't work out the kinks in your Major League swing by going back to the league wide Coors Field that is the International League.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the level of performance changes if something counts as "plenty".

Ten games, to me, isn't an extended opportunity.

I don't disagree. I would have kept him but there was obviously justification to sending him back down.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not really. Most numbers don't become more signal than noise for hundreds of PAs.

Also, the front office and field staff are paid to not panic after a three-game sweep in May. I'd love to have seen this board after each of the two 7-game losing streaks the that 1983 Orioles had. Basically the only moves the Orioles made during the '83 season were trading Floyd Rayford (who hadn't been out of the minors yet that year) for Tito Landrum (who played 26 games and had just 44 PAs for the Orioles before the playoffs), and buying Todd Cruz (.558 OPS) from the Mariners. Neither of those had anything to do with their two 7-game skids.

You are forgetting that the point he was making, and I have as well, is this has been a year long thing going back to the second half of last year.   This is not a 2 month thing.   We are going on a year now with these guys. 

And it isn't as if these guys have had multi years of all star baseball.  They have had a few spurts of it, and then more down times than not.

Again, I will ask the question.  Are we going to win a WS with guys like Hayes, Mullins, Urias and others playing?  Guys who are old and not going to get better?

Because if not, why play them when there are cheaper, younger, and most importantly guys with more potential waiting in the wings to replace them?

It makes no sense to me.  What you are saying is I am willing to settle for just being good.  Not elite. 

9 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

JH was completely over matched and should not be anywhere near a major league stadium right now.

Not only was he flailing at the plate, but he couldn't throw to first base without lobbing it and honestly the first pop fly when he flailed around like a bumble bee I knew he was not ready.

Manny made that play because he was ready.  JH was and is not. 

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You are forgetting that the point he was making, and I have as well, is this has been a year long thing going back to the second half of last year.   This is not a 2 month thing.   We are going on a year now with these guys. 

And it isn't as if these guys have had multi years of all star baseball.  They have had a few spurts of it, and then more down times than not.

Again, I will ask the question.  Are we going to win a WS with guys like Hayes, Mullins, Urias and others playing?  Guys who are old and not going to get better?

Because if not, why play them when there are cheaper, younger, and most importantly guys with more potential waiting in the wings to replace them?

It makes no sense to me.  What you are saying is I am willing to settle for just being good.  Not elite. 

I don't know, did the '83 Orioles settle for being just good and not elite by continuing to play over-the-hill has beens who won't get any better like Al Bumbry, Todd Cruz, Rich Dauer, Benny Ayala, Tim Stoddard, Rick Dempsey and Jim Palmer? None of them were particularly good that year, and most were more-or-less done when they were fitted for their rings.

And you could make a good case that the 2024 Orioles have more talent than the '83ers.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It would be pretty challenging to write a more stereotypical overreacting fan on a messageboard post than this.

Do you guys realized that this poorly-managed team of over-the-hill chumps   ?

For some reason you guys take what is constructive criticism that we think could help the O's as "we hate the orioles and they SUCK".

There is no middle ground for you guys.

Very strange.  It is either one extreme or the other for you. 

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know, did the '83 Orioles settle for being just good and not elite by continuing to play over-the-hill has beens who won't get any better like Al Bumbry, Todd Cruz, Rich Dauer, Benny Ayala, Tim Stoddard, Rick Dempsey and Jim Palmer? None of them were particularly good that year, and most were more-or-less done when they were fitted for their rings.

And you could make a good case that the 2024 Orioles have more talent than the '83ers.

I mean, that was a special team.  Orioles magic remember?   I can't explain that season other than....

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

For some reason you guys take what is constructive criticism that we think could help the O's as "we hate the orioles and they SUCK".

There is no middle ground for you guys.

Very strange.  It is either one extreme or the other for you. 

Saying what amounts to, "These guys suck and shouldn't have jobs anymore", isn't constructive criticism. It's going to be tough to find anyone on this board that wouldn't like to see more playing time go to the guys in AAA. But again, where do they play? You'd be hard pressed to find a GM that's going to just drop several proven veterans (who are struggling) for unproven talent on a team that just won 101 games and is on pace to win 100 this year. It would have been one thing to trade Hays, Mullins, Santander, Urias in the offseason, which a lot of us could have got behind. Once that didn't happen, these are the guys that are going to continue to play until the team isn't winning anymore.