The Main Issue With The Orioles Offense and Approach is its Veteran Hitters - It's Time to Make Changes

Just now, Yossarian said:

It's a travesty to have a team ERA in the month of May (so far) of 2.74 and to only have a 10-8 record.   With that type of pitching, you would hope to play well above .500 baseball.   This offense has been so depressing to watch lately.

Bingo.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Such a good post.  The O’s already have made adjustments.   They’ll continue to make them gradually if certain worrisome trends continue.  They are not going to wholesale pull the plug on veteran players.  Not happening.  

Exactly. Urias and Hays already lost their jobs less than a month into the season. Perhaps Mullins and Santander have a longer leash, but Elias and Hyde have shown that they will replace underperforming vets.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I said this last year in my the O's will not win the WS in 2023 post but many here took exception to that.  But your post? 

Let’s be clear.  What people took exception to was your absolutely absurd assertion, last August 12, that the Orioles might not make the playoffs.  That was a ridiculous position.   You also said “and that is OK.”  And no, it wouldn’t have been OK to miss the playoffs given the position the O’s were in on August 12.   And they didn’t, not even close.  They clinched  playoff spot with two weeks left to play.  

I don’t know anyone who thought the odds were in favor of the Orioles winning the World Series.  Of course, we hoped they would.  But it wasn’t a surprise to many when they didn’t.  

Here’s the thread if anyone is masochistic enough to re-read it.  

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed. I think we are starting to see that and will see more if the vets keep slumping. OP seemed to be advocating replacing the vets more or less immediately.

Ahh it was TLDR. I skimmed through. Doesn’t make sense to get rid of anyone unless a good trade presents itself. It does make sense to sit Mountcastle Mullins and Santander more often. 

The idea that someone like Norby is going to take at bats away from someone like Hays who has 68 PA’s is ridiculous.

Holliday struggled and was sent down. He isn’t gone. The thing that amuses me is in order to play these guys from the minors means you have to permanently remove players from the roster. You can’t call players up without removing others from the team. Then if the kids struggle then what? 

The sample size is way too small to make dramatic moves. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s be clear.  What people took exception to was your absolutely absurd assertion, last August 12, that the Orioles might not make the playoffs.  That was a ridiculous position.   You also said “and that is OK.”  And no, it wouldn’t have been OK to miss the playoffs given the position the O’s were in on August 12.   And they didn’t, not even close.  They clinched  playoff spot with two weeks left to play.  

I don’t know anyone who thought the odds were in favor of the Orioles winning the World Series.  Of course, we hoped they would.  But it wasn’t a surprise to many when they didn’t.  

I said repeatedly that the chances are the Os will make the playoffs.  I said that over and over and over.  As in there is a chance they may not but more than likely they will.

What I said for certain was that the Os would not win a playoff series and the WS.  Which was 100% spot on. 

Any questions?

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let is not forget that you were the biggest proponent of the Os NOT resigning Nelson Cruz.  In fact you argued that as if your life depended on it.  I was the complete opposite.  I wanted him resigned PERIOD. 

I will never forget that because of the complete insanity how STUPID it looks for you.   

Pepperidge Farms remembers as well. 

The Orioles won 101 games last year. The veterans this thread wants to drop from the team are currently winning the game tonight.

The word of the Season is patience! Santander had 100 RBI and you want to drop him from the lineup because he is not fantasy baseball worthy before tonight?

drop this vitriol and go see a live game. This team is one of the best in mlb, it’s not a fantasy lineup! Enjoy this wonderful team and this game! I certainly am 🙃

7 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

The Orioles won 101 games last year. The veterans this thread wants to drop from the team are currently winning the game tonight.

The word of the Season is patience! Santander had 100 RBI and you want to drop him from the lineup because he is not fantasy baseball worthy before tonight?

drop this vitriol and go see a live game. This team is one of the best in mlb, it’s not a fantasy lineup! Enjoy this wonderful team and this game! I certainly am 🙃

He did not

5 hours ago, lfallo1 said:

"The O's will be sacrificing defense to do this, but Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde have never truly valued defense - they just claim to value it. Otherwise, they would have never stuck with Rougned Odor and Adam Frazier - two of the worst defensive 2B in baseball - for entire seasons. And they wouldn't let Ryan O'Hearn ever see the outfield, but they do. "

I will admit, the holier-than-thou responses from Hyde/Elias around the D, when facts point otherwise, is annoying 

Its just a defense.  A talking point.  And of course he is lying.  

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

One of the best posts I have ever read on this forum.  Dead serious.  You nailed everything.  I said this last year in my the O's will not win the WS in 2023 post but many here took exception to that.  But your post?  10/10 and everything that you have said is exactly what I have been saying for over a year now.

And it simply comes down to this.  Mullins, Hayes, Urias, O'Hearn, Tony, and others are not going to win you a WS championship.  That is beyond obvious at this point.

So why IN THE H e 11 are we playing them?  I would so much rather play the youngsters and give them a chance because guess what.....we don't know if they can help win the O's a WS championship.   They could.  They could not.  But at least there is a chance.  And I would play younger guys that have a chance over guys like the old vets who have SAWKED for over a year now and who cost 10 x more. 

I am not really sure why this is even an issue at this point.   We seem to be the only organization in the history of baseball that would rather play old middling vets (who you have to pay more money to btw), over youngsters with way more potential and who cost much less.

It is bizarre. 

It is bizarre because we will need playing time for these rookies to get comfortable.  But they would rather trot out old has been players that in a time of less steroids can not figure out a way to play good after the age of 29.  It really seems the drop dead age now way more than the old days.  

44 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Let is not forget that you were the biggest proponent of the Os NOT resigning Nelson Cruz.  In fact you argued that as if your life depended on it.  I was the complete opposite.  I wanted him resigned PERIOD. 

I will never forget that because of the complete insanity how STUPID it looks for you.   

Pepperidge Farms remembers as well. 

Hmmm, your profile says you joined as a member in June 2022.  So, I’m guessing you got banned and joined under another screen name?  How surprising.  

Yep, I was against signing the 34-year old Cruz for the 4+ years it would have taken.  He beat the odds and proved me wrong in his case.  I don’t regret my position though.  I don’t think signing guys for ages 34-37 is sound practice.  

• Upvote 3