Thursday, May 23: Orioles at White Sox

SteveA

45 minutes ago, Malike said:

5 straight? I can't take someone seriously if they don't even do some research.

On Twitter, start with the default position of not taking anyone seriously. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Uh oh, Yankees fans are big mad. I don't care now screw it, you would never see the Yankees or Red Sox fanbases apologizing for winning a game on a shady call.

Cry me a river Skanks fans. I have two words for you. Jeffrey Maier.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Infield isn't a dead ball.   It's just an automatic out even if the fielder doesn't catch it.   Runners advance on their own risk so it's a live ball and a stupid runner can still wander off a base and get out.

I guess IFF only means that the batter is out so there are no forces at any bases. It's there to prevent the infielder to drop the ball on purpose to start a DP. This is only needed to make sense if there is a runner on first. This is what I understand about the IFF.

Once there was a popup to the edge of the outfield where IFF wasn't called, and Alomar let it drop on purpose to start a DP. Mussina was on the mound and almost had a heart attack. 🙂 Anyone remember this?

3 hours ago, Gilbutson said:

Cry me a river Skanks fans. I have two words for you. Jeffrey Maier.

Jeffrey Maier was making appearances on Good Morning America and getting a key to the city for committing fan interference. Last night was an example of an umpire perhaps being too much of a strickler when it comes to enforcing the rules. 

Posted (edited)

If interference is called during an Infield Fly, the ball remains alive until it is determined whether the ball is fair or foul. If fair, both the runner who interfered with the fielder and the batter are out. If foul, even if caught, the runner is out and the batter returns to bat.

There's an explicit rule for this scenario. 

Edited by Hallas

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

There's an explicit rule for this scenario.  [quote] If interference is called during an Infield Fly, the ball remains alive until it is determined whether the ball is fair or foul. If fair, both the runner who interfered with the fielder and the batter are out. If foul, even if caught, the runner is out and the batter returns to bat.[/quote]

Yes, the ruling on it being two outs and the game being over was correct, based on the interference call being made.

The only real question is whether the ump should have called interference or not.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yes, the ruling on it being two outs and the game being over was correct, based on the interference call being made.

The only real question is whether the ump should have called interference or not.

The rule says you don't even have to make contact, if you even force the fielder to go around you it's interference.  In this case Vaughn actually touched Gunnar so it seems pretty clear cut.

22 hours ago, schittenden said:

It looks like the runner brushed Henderson before the IFF was called when he was retreating to second base when Gunnar was basically stationary near the base on the third base side. They barely made contact before Gunnar moved in to the infield to make the catch. I’m an O’s fan as much as the next guy, but that was a weak call.