The 2024 Trade Deadline

33 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

You’re referring to Norby/Beavers/S Johnson for Miller?  I’d probably do that one. 

Of course later they propose subbing in Mayo or Basallo for Norby if needed, now THAT would be ridiculous. But if the first package worked, I’d probably take a chance that Miller’s arm stays attached to his body for that. 

Agreed, I was, but then they said they'd consider throwing in Basallo or Mayo if Norby didn't get it done, as you point out.  No way to that.

Edited by Paul in Virginia

31 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I'd absolutely do Norby Beavers and S Johnson for Miller. Even if he eventually gets hurt, chances are we are getting at least 4 elite+ bullpen years out of him. Pairing him with Felix for the next three years really gives us a unique advantage at the end of games. 

Too bad the O's traded Bautista for Scherzer.  😢

Their ideal GM has the impulse control of a 5 year old.

27 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Bro I literally said Bleacher Report is useless in this very thread like an hour ago lol. That trade wouldn't happen, but I would absolutely do it. Everyone should. No question. Why do you constantly pick out parts of posts just to create arguments all the time?

I don't understand this post. I've never once responded to you and now I'm being argumentative? Lesson learned.

2 hours ago, G54377 said:

Ok... well all the more reason to add Miller to the club.

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Sure, if you are willing to give up Mayo/Basallo+. There is zero chance of the Bleacher Report trade being a thing. That site is like a fan site where anyone can make an "article" and publish it.

Yeah …I’d expect them to ask for the moon. But, is their GM willing to be realistic.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah …I’d expect them to ask for the moon. But, is their GM willing to be realistic.

Realistically, they can ask for the moon and it likely not be an overpay. If he stays healthy all year I think the plan was to move him back to the rotation next year. He's under control for a long time.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No.  Trading MVP level players is never a smart thing to do. You could argue that Westburg is the smartest to trade if you feel comfortable with Mayo at third. 

You could argue that, except that a trade where Westburg is the center piece won’t get you a #1 starter. Trading a young controllable MVP level player can absolutely be a smart thing to do if you’re getting a young controllable Cy Young level pitcher back (Skubal, for example). 

– The Blue Jays, whose season is already on the brink, plan to place starter Yusei Kikuchi, catcher Danny Jansen, reliever Yimi Garcia, DH Justin Turner and outfielder Kevin Kiermaier on the trade block. Yet, they still want to make one last run with Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Bo Bichette. They should be staying until at least this winter, if not next summer.

– The White Sox have had several teams also contact them about center fielder Luis Robert Jr., but with his struggles, they are considering hanging onto him into at least the winter since he’s under control through 2027.

– The Chicago White Sox quietly engaged in brief contract extension talks with ace Garrett Crochet, but with no optimism towards reaching an agreement, the White Sox intend to trade him by the July 30 trade deadline.

The White Sox have had 15 teams calling to express interest in Crochet, who is making just $800,000 and is under team control through 2026. The X-factor for suitors will be determining just how much Crochet can help them in the pennant stretch and October.

He has already pitched 94 ⅓ innings as a first-year starter, 21 more than his entire career total entering the season, and the White Sox and Crochet already have a firm plan in place to greatly limit his workload in the second half.

It’s quite possible that a team acquiring Crochet may have to offer a contract extension for him to lift those innings restrictions in the second half because of the potential of an injury risk.

– The Los Angeles Dodgers have already made an offer to the White Sox for Crochet, but it was quickly rejected. The White Sox have informed teams they are seeking young prospects with enormous upside.

– The best reliever on the trade market will be Tanner Scott of the Marlins, with Mason Miller of the A’s expected to stay put.

Nightengale

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

– The Blue Jays, whose season is already on the brink, plan to place starter Yusei Kikuchi, catcher Danny Jansen, reliever Yimi Garcia, DH Justin Turner and outfielder Kevin Kiermaier on the trade block. Yet, they still want to make one last run with Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Bo Bichette. They should be staying until at least this winter, if not next summer.

– The White Sox have had several teams also contact them about center fielder Luis Robert Jr., but with his struggles, they are considering hanging onto him into at least the winter since he’s under control through 2027.

– The Chicago White Sox quietly engaged in brief contract extension talks with ace Garrett Crochet, but with no optimism towards reaching an agreement, the White Sox intend to trade him by the July 30 trade deadline.

The White Sox have had 15 teams calling to express interest in Crochet, who is making just $800,000 and is under team control through 2026. The X-factor for suitors will be determining just how much Crochet can help them in the pennant stretch and October.

He has already pitched 94 ⅓ innings as a first-year starter, 21 more than his entire career total entering the season, and the White Sox and Crochet already have a firm plan in place to greatly limit his workload in the second half.

It’s quite possible that a team acquiring Crochet may have to offer a contract extension for him to lift those innings restrictions in the second half because of the potential of an injury risk.

– The Los Angeles Dodgers have already made an offer to the White Sox for Crochet, but it was quickly rejected. The White Sox have informed teams they are seeking young prospects with enormous upside.

– The best reliever on the trade market will be Tanner Scott of the Marlins, with Mason Miller of the A’s expected to stay put.

Nightengale

Lots of great news

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It would be amusing if the Orioles brought Tanner Scott back, but he's been dealin' for 1.5 years now.  What would he cost?

If healthy Yimi Garcia is a lot better than Tanner Scott. 

Scherzer and a healthy Yimi Garcia would be great for us. Those are my two favorite targets. 

3 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

You could argue that, except that a trade where Westburg is the center piece won’t get you a #1 starter. Trading a young controllable MVP level player can absolutely be a smart thing to do if you’re getting a young controllable Cy Young level pitcher back (Skubal, for example). 

If we're discussing Holliday, what MVP's has he been in the running for?  I'm a Holliday fan, but projecting a prospect to be MVP caliber before he has any MLB success is sort of ridiculous.  Now I wouldn't trade Gunnar  for any pitcher, including a Cy Young type pitcher because he is actually in the middle of a MVP type year.

2 hours ago, KojiSplit said:

=

Nightengale

I could see the O's getting multiple players from the Blue Jays.  Pretty much all the players they are looking to deal are a potential fit except for Turner.  Any word if Garcia will be off the IL before the trade deadline?  I would be happy with Kikuchi, Jansen and Garcia and call it a day.  lol  Yeah that would probably take a good deal of prospects.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If we're discussing Holliday, what MVP's has he been in the running for?  I'm a Holliday fan, but projecting a prospect to be MVP caliber before he has any MLB success is sort of ridiculous.  Now I wouldn't trade Gunnar  for any pitcher, including a Cy Young type pitcher because he is actually in the middle of a MVP type year.

You're probably right, but I wasn't the one who referred to Holliday as an MVP level player. That was Sports Guy. I was simply responding to his premise where JH fit that definition.