The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It's the control and the idea that a more comtetent organization could potentially fix/unlock him.

He shouldn't cost a ton either, in terms of prospects. 

If 40 year old Garrett Crochet could talk to himself today, I don't think he would have talked about innings limits publicly. It could cost him millions in future earnings. It could cause him to stay on a bad White Sox team as well. 

I can't imagine how badly I would have messed up in the public eye if I were in the shoes of some of these athletes. Anytime I start to think "how could they say that" I remember some of the idiotic takes I had in my 20s. 

I don't think the Sox trade him if buyers aren't offering a top prospect plus others. 

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

The Guardians who have the best record in AL can’t go into playoffs with a rotation of Bibee, Lively, Williams and Carrasco can they?  They have a great pen but that rotation is god awful for playoffs.  

Yeah, that's not sustainable for them. Losing Shane Bieber was a real hit to them. McKenzie pitching through his injury hasn't helped. 

3 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

So far today there are no trades yet!  It is the deadline today.  What time will all the deals start happening?

I wonder if teams ever do deals but wait to finalize them until the last minute to minimize reactive moves by their competitors.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

Ok I shouldn't have said "never looked back", point was they had their share of problems (probably more than we do).

Rangers also won a World Series with a great offense and average pitching staff, which the O's can do as well. 

Most people on this board think more is needed to add to Burnes and Grayson - and Elias may still add more - but the Rangers won it all with Montgomery and Eovaldi as their #1 and #2 (in some order), with Scherzer mostly unable to pitch and a very pedestrian Heaney and Dunning as their other starters.

That rotation was nothing special. They rode a red hot offense, and this O's team has the talent to be the best offense in MLB after Mayo comes up and the younger guys get more playing time. 

Get another couple relievers and this team will be in good shape. Another reliable SP before the deadline today would be a bonus, but it's not the end of the world if we don't get one. 

32 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

A one-year commitment to a SP is radically different than the extension Burnes is looking for. Boras is going to want to test the boundaries IMO.

Agreed. My point is Angelos wouldn't have allowed Elias to sign Elfin. 

8 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

So far today there are no trades yet!  It is the deadline today.  What time will all the deals start happening?

This reminds me of the scene in Cosmos when Carl Sagan is describing the universal day, and he says that all of human existence has happened in the last 100th of the last second before 12 o’clock midnight.

Which means that at five seconds to six today everybody’s iPhone is going to blow up with notifications