The 2024 Trade Deadline

8 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If the Yankees sign Soto I'm betting it will be a deal along the lines of Shohei Ohtani's 10-year contract with the Dodgers, where 90% of the money is deferred until after he retires. That would allow NY to keep Soto on the roster w/o breaking the bank right now, and he'd be able to move to a tax haven once the real money starts coming in. 

They're still going to have to pay luxury tax on the NPV of the deal, so if they sign him for like 10-700 deal they're paying something absurd like 50 million in luxury tax, and 2 million salary.  I guess it works out from an accounting perspective, but it seems kind of nuts.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm all for creativity. However, it should come down to what is best for the Orioles. Is Mayo a better defensive 3B than Holliday a better defensive 2B? The one who is worse goes to the outfield. It should be as simple as that.

We all know that every decision Elias and Hyde make is always what they feel is in the best interest of the team.  Yes, Holliday is a better defender at 2B than Mayo is at 3B and our infield defense would be better.  I agree with you and hope that's what we do. However, the answer is not as simple as Mayo going to RF.

If Holliday stays at 2B, Mayo could DH and get spot starts at 1B and 3B without any time in RF.  If the idea of playing Holliday in CF gains any traction, Mayo would play mainly at 3B with Westy at 2B.  Holliday in CF would solve our need for a long term solution in CF unless EBJ comes along in a couple of years and is ready to go.  Having flexibility on the roster is what the O's feel is the way to go.  So many parts... so many guys able to play multiple positions.  With trade season approaching, some of this may work itself out, though I still suspect there will be some uncertainty about a number of spots this off-season. 

Edited by Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Skubal, don't think so. 2.5 years to FA isn't enough.

Skenes, worth considering. He's a game changer. I think Holliday will be too. But I have high confidence in having a great infield corps for the next 5 years, no matter what happens with Holliday. The rotation forecast isn't as certain. 

But, I was in that minority that voted Yes on Gunnar for Strider, which is indeed looking like a bad vote. 🙂

I'm pretty sure the Pirates hang up on us unless we're willing to offer something like Holliday + Mayo/Basallo for Skenes, and that would be just nuts.

Posted (edited)

Thinking about bullpen trade acquisitions is interesting because of these two opposing truths:

1. Fujinami/Flaherty trade
  2. Burnes trade

Extremely different trades with extremely different talent levels. 

I certainly hope Elias isn't messing around this year at the deadline, but his deadline track record consists of his two worst trades as a GM. But his most recent trade was one of his best and most impactful. 

Which Elias are we going to get? 

Edited by interloper

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Thinking about bullpen trade acquisitions is interesting because of these two opposing truths:

1. Fujinami/Flaherty trade
  2. Burnes trade

Extremely different trades with extremely different talent levels. 

I certainly hope Elias isn't messing around this year at the deadline, but his deadline track record consists of his two worst trades as a GM. But his most recent trade was one of his best and most impactful. 

Which Elias are we going to get? 

I think the BP at least is much more of a clear need this year than it was last year. Last year, they had the best reliever in baseball and then 2 others in the top 21 of RP WAR (Coulombe and Cano). Their depth beyond them was suspect but their backend was pretty well set. They also had Hall in the minors, converted Wells to the pen, Cionel turned it around, and they added Lopez and Webb (I’m guessing they didn’t think they would get a guy like Webb off waivers though). There was probably enough there where he felt confident enough one or two of those guys would turn out as solid pieces in the 6th/7th innings.

This year, they seem to have enough depth but they need another one or two impact pieces at the backend. I think that’s pretty clear at the moment so we will see what Elias has planned and just how much he is willing to spend to fill that void. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Unless a team is trying to sell and still be competitive this season, there is really no reason for them to make a deal this soon.

Also, why call the Padres the Friars?

It’s an additional nickname, as a Padre and Friar are closely related. Like the Angels being called the Halos.

8 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I thought we were talking about the postseason.

No scenario exists where a non-starting pitcher's workload can be managed to include 3-5 days of rest in between appearances.

But I didn't know that we were discussing "a fantasy scenario". I wouldn't have interrupted with my comments because I don't want to mess up anybody's fantasy.

How are we getting 2 new starters that would push Bradish to #4.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How are we getting 2 new starters that would push Bradish to #4.

I think you meant this question for someone else. I don’t believe that Bradish is a #4. Another poster proposed a Skubal trade and stated that the order of the top 4 would be Burnes, Skubal, Rodriguez, Bradish.