Bullpen usage

We use our bullpen unusually. We ride it relatively hard—particularly for spring. It seems more than just a quirk of Hyde--it’s a team strategy. What is that strategy? In the age of starters pitching like relievers is the distinction between them moot? Have we underappreciated what relievers can provide over the course of a season? Is it a refined version of the “opener” concept? Will there be hell to pay in September? 

• Upvote 1

Most teams these days are pulling starters at the first sign of trouble whenever eclipse 3rd time through the order.  Every team is operating off the analytics there and the Os are not unusual in that regard. 

Without looking at the average length of starting pitching — I don’t think the O’s utilize their pen in an unusual way. I’m old school, so I wish they would let starters roll a little longer, but modern pitchers tend go all in on every pitch, and don’t pace themselves much beyond 100 pitches anyway.

The O’s are 7th in MLB in IP per start, so I wouldn’t say they push their relievers much more than other teams.  However, we have often had the lead late, so the A part of our pen gets a lot of work.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

As pointed out above, they aren't really being overused in an innings sense. 24th in MLB in relief IP.

But they are 5th in MLB in relief appearances. It matches the complaint around for a couple years now that Hyde tends to use a lot of relievers per game, for short appearances.

Edited by Spy Fox

7 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

As pointed out above, they aren't really being overused in an innings sense. 24th in MLB in relief IP.

But they are 5th in MLB in relief appearances. It matches the complaint around for a couple years now that Hyde tends to use a lot of relievers per game, for short appearances.

Is it a complaint, or an observation?   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The O’s are 7th in MLB in IP per start, so I wouldn’t say they push their relievers much more than other teams.  However, we have often had the lead late, so the A part of our pen gets a lot of work.  

I guess that might be the question. The B reliever filler guy seems to have gone away. The long man/spot starter is a distant memory.

14 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Which is the more important metric for our guys being around and Ace in October? Innings pitched or appearances?

6 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I guess that might be the question. The B reliever filler guy seems to have gone away. The long man/spot starter is a distant memory.

Constantly in games, usually winning. 

17 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think that is more organization and data than Hyde.  They seem to know what pockets they want each reliever to pitch and many times it is just 3 or 4 hitters so if a guy or two gets on then they are gonna chance pitchers.  

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Which is the more important metric for our guys being around and Ace in October? Innings pitched or appearances?

Not sure, but some front office guys somewhere might know. 

My first guess would be that IP is more important, competitive in-game pitches being the biggest possible burden on an arm. But that if one guy threw 80 IP over 80 appearances, he maybe earned a bit more wear & tear compared to the same guy throwing 80 IP over 60 appearances. More times warming up, fewer full rest days for the guy who appears in more games. 

Edited by Spy Fox