Its always easier in hindsight, but letting Kyle Gibson go, could end up being a glaring error.

Roy Firestone

Gibson signed a 1 year , $13,000,000 contract with the Cardinals, including $13,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000. Last night he 2-hit the Cubs  and shut them out...and has pitched pretty well for the Redbirds. with a 3.44 ERA...He's an innings eater and is usually...pretty solid..For a middle market team like the Orioles, 12-13 million might be a big investment...but right now, letting him walk seems like it was short sighted. Plus, he was a great teammate and veteran presence in the clubhouse..

Edited by Roy Firestone

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'm not sure, but even in the pen as a long man, he's be a solid insurance policy.

And you think he'd have signed with the O's to be a long man in the pen?

Do you think the O's would have matched that offer for a long man in the pen?

Have the O's had a designated long man in the pen under Elias?

I don’t think so. Gibson is valuable and a great innings eater. But our pitching staff is in very solid shape to get through the regular season, no matter what happens with Bradish. The question is whether they have enough elite arms to maximize their chances in the postseason, which Gibson wouldn’t really help with. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And you think he'd have signed with the O's to be a long man in the pen?

Do you think the O's would have matched that offer for a long man in the pen?

Have the O's had a designated long man in the pen under Elias?

I know for a fact he wanted to stay...12-13 million would have been a good 1. year protection plan..He was really respected and loved by his teammates...

9 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I know for a fact he wanted to stay...12-13 million would have been a good 1. year protection plan..He was really respected and loved by his teammates...

Cool that he wanted to come back.

Would the O's have paid that much for a long man and would Elias even want a long man?

Roy Firestone

Plus Member

Posted August 19, 2023

I realize these pitchers have tired arms, but that A's lineup was one of the weakest I ever saw, and yet they had 9 hits and 4 runs off Gibson  in only 5 innings...Gibson  was also lousy in his last start...I'm not sure the Orioles have an answer for these pitchers who cant even get to the sixth inning..but they better hope Wells and Means can give us SOMETHING. Right now, I dont see how our pitching will hold up in the next 6 weeks...and beyond.if we get there..