Bradish TJ-Season and 2025 over

connja

TJ was inevitable as soon as we learned about the UCL injury in the Spring.  Hindsight is 20/20- we probably would have been better off just getting it over with in the Spring so he could pitch in 2025.  Now we lose this season and next...ouch....

I say we keep Holliday and Mayo.  Try to keep Basallo.   Part with anyone else to try to get some pitching...

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

A couple of things.

Is Baseball giving out a lot full rides?  I think most baseball scholarships are partial.

Players can negotiate money for college if they sign out of HS and it doesn't come out of the team's pool money.

The 11.7 scholarship cap is going away as early as next year.  

Reports: NCAA Considering Lifting Scholarship Limit As Part Of Lawsuit Settlement Talks (baseballamerica.com)

Revenue is also opening up so that in addition to a full ride, the bigger schools (Think SEC, ACC, BIG 12) will also be able to offer very significant compensation.  

College baseball (The larger - think top 50 programs) are now essentially professional baseball.  

HS baseball players will be able to get a free education and make significant money while doing so.  This will deter a lot of HS players from going to MLB unless they are a top pick getting multiple millions.  

It's about the be the wild wild west in college sports, no one really knows what the limits will be to the players ability to earn. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

t's about the be the wild wild west in college sports, no one really knows what the limits will be to the players ability to earn. 

It was new to me just the other day that a Japanese teenager with close to Jackson Holliday top tier pedigree is now at Stanford, doing the Carter Stewart thing the other way around.

He is also an R. Sasaki, just to make it interesting in Logan Allen or Luis Garcia kinds of ways.

I assume Stanford building its brand in Japan, and his NIL opportunities mean whatever eventual MLB signing bonus he is good enough to command won't be the first real money of his life.

A plus to going to college...unless you are a first round pick...is that your day to day life is much easier in college.  Fewer games, no prolonged road trips, no staying in motels.

Does the Bradish injury make signing Burnes a bigger priority? With the lack of starting pitching available in the 2025 FA class this might make the FO more open to this scenario.

Edited by Cuellar35
Add text

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It was new to me just the other day that a Japanese teenager with close to Jackson Holliday top tier pedigree is now at Stanford, doing the Carter Stewart thing the other way around.

He is also an R. Sasaki, just to make it interesting in Logan Allen or Luis Garcia kinds of ways.

I assume Stanford building its brand in Japan, and his NIL opportunities mean whatever eventual MLB signing bonus he is good enough to command won't be the first real money of his life.

I can't wait to watch him play.  He hit 140 dingers in HS.  His father (coach) was Ohtani's HS coach also.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

A plus to going to college...unless you are a first round pick...is that your day to day life is much easier in college.  Fewer games, no prolonged road trips, no staying in motels.

Does the Bradish injury make signing Burnes a bigger priority? With the lack of starting pitching available in the 2025 FA class this might make the FO more open to this scenario.

If we don’t trade for a starter (a good starter) with multiple years of control left, we need to pony up to resign Burnes or at least the 150 mil for Fried. Really I think Elias makes a trade. I still kind of worry what payroll this new ownership is OK with. You’d think these guys would buy the team with the intention of spending money to win, but until we see it who really knows.

1 hour ago, Cuellar35 said:

Plus, ya know, you get an education just in case the whole Baseball thing doesn't pan out. 

30 minutes ago, G54377 said:

If we don’t trade for a starter (a good starter) with multiple years of control left, we need to pony up to resign Burnes or at least the 150 mil for Fried. Really I think Elias makes a trade. I still kind of worry what payroll this new ownership is OK with. You’d think these guys would buy the team with the intention of spending money to win, but until we see it who really knows.

He has to make a trade.  The Orioles should also aggressively pursue a starting pitcher in Free Agency regardless. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he did and it is his choice regardless.

Obviously his choice. Coming back from TJ in April 2025 vs April 2026 is clearly a better option for his financial future. That isn't really something that can be debated. It is just simple probability.

3 hours ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

He had a "combo" procedure... UCL replacement and augmentation with an internal brace.

Bradish had his surgery — UCL reconstruction with internal brace augmentation — Monday with Dr. Keith Meister in Texas, Elias said. Meister, who also performed Means and Wells’ surgeries, has developed a hybrid procedure during which a pitcher receives Tommy John surgery and then has an internal brace added on to provide more support. However, Bradish’s recovery won’t differ from the typical 14-to-16 month timeline, which could have him return in the second half next year.

Does anyone know if  Means and Wells also got the internal brace? Im curious if that will improve the durability of the UCL long term. 

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Does anyone know if  Means and Wells also got the internal brace? Im curious if that will improve the durability of the UCL long term. 

Wells did, but I don’t think he got TJ surgery.