17 Runs after Gunnar getting drilled. Was that enough fire from Hyde?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

There were PLENTY of Orioles fans who thought Sabathia hit Markakis intentionally (it was 2012, not 2014).  I’m sure if one went back to those threads they’d be full of posters talking about how we needed to retaliate etc.  

As to “turning in,” it’s easy to say, harder to do.  It’s 0.4 seconds between the time the ball leaves the pitchers’ hand to the time it reaches home plate.  And a lot of the HBP are on pitches that break in at the last fraction of a second.   The batter meanwhile is ready to be moving his hips and momentum forward, while “turning in” is a backwards move.  So if a breaking pitch doesn’t break, or if a FB heads right towards you out of the pitcher’s hand, maybe you have a chance of “turning in,” but lots of times there’s just not enough time to react.  

While there isn’t much time to turn, you can clearly turn. Gunnar turned some when he got hit. 

IMG_0260.thumb.webp.078c7e3da850db1f1f87f36f310948ca.webp

21 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Really wish umpires took HBP more seriously. There's no place in baseball for it. It's an awful practice that is taught early on player's careers. And it needs incredible repercussions to the pitcher, the coach, and the team when it happens. It's just handled so blasé.

MLB needs to keep a scorecard of how many times they happen. I don't care if it happens in retaliation. There needs to be some sort of tiering. There needs to be a review after every game where a HBP happens so that MLB can determine just how intentional it might have been. There really should be punishments handed out to the team/GM in the event of too many of them, i.e. loss of draft picks. 

I really wish fans would stop advocating for, the applauding, this sort of behavior.

If it becomes known that fans think it's a stupid, dangerous practice, maybe it will help kill it off.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I really wish fans would stop advocating for, the applauding, this sort of behavior.

If it becomes known that fans think it's a stupid, dangerous practice, maybe it will help kill it off.

Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'
Neither the brave nor bold
Nor brightest of stories told

32 minutes ago, baltfan said:

While there isn’t much time to turn, you can clearly turn. Gunnar turned some when he got hit. 

IMG_0260.thumb.webp.078c7e3da850db1f1f87f36f310948ca.webp

I think part of it was the shape of the pitch. IIRC Gunnar was hit by a LH's cutter moving from the body towards the plate. Judge was hit by a RH's two seamer moving from the plate to the body. Have to think the reaction time is different there.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not for me, you lean out over the plate , I going to bust you in on the hands, you want to flip the bat and prance around the bases , next at bat  you better be bailing on the wind up, old school baseball, the way its meant to be played

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Neither the brave nor bold
Nor brightest of stories told

I do have to admit one of my favorite Orioles memories (and there are a lot) is of Alan Mills absolutely clocking Strawberry with a cross in the Orioles dugout. 

https://tinyurl.com/2tn44cmf

BTW after the brawl the Yankees won 76 of their remaining 95 games for a 114-48 season, winning the AL East by 22 games. It’s the most wins in a season in Yankee history. New York then went on to win the first of three straight World Series.  Nice if the Orioles went on a run like that!!

Edited by SemperFi

57 minutes ago, One eyed Bird said:

Not for me, you lean out over the plate , I going to bust you in on the hands, you want to flip the bat and prance around the bases , next at bat  you better be bailing on the wind up, old school baseball, the way its meant to be played

COOL!  You can break someone's hand!  That will show everyone how tough you are!  Maybe you can even end a career.

Pfft.  We're adults, we should act like it.

By old school baseball the way it was meant to be played do you mean whites only?

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I think part of it was the shape of the pitch. IIRC Gunnar was hit by a LH's cutter moving from the body towards the plate. Judge was hit by a RH's two seamer moving from the plate to the body. Have to think the reaction time is different there.

I agree the type of pitch that hit Judge is harder to turn from, but guys do even on ones that run in like that

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

COOL!  You can break someone's hand!  That will show everyone how tough you are!  Maybe you can even end a career.

Pfft.  We're adults, we should act like it.

By old school baseball the way it was meant to be played do you mean whites only?

STFU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Really wish umpires took HBP more seriously. There's no place in baseball for it. It's an awful practice that is taught early on player's careers. And it needs incredible repercussions to the pitcher, the coach, and the team when it happens. It's just handled so blasé.

MLB needs to keep a scorecard of how many times they happen. I don't care if it happens in retaliation. There needs to be some sort of tiering. There needs to be a review after every game where a HBP happens so that MLB can determine just how intentional it might have been. There really should be punishments handed out to the team/GM in the event of too many of them, i.e. loss of draft picks. 

It's hard in many cases to determine whether a HBP is intentional or not. That's the biggest problem. You can't tell pitchers not to pitch in. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

That’s my point.  

Just now, Hallas said:

Imagine anyone thinking they could get under CoC's skin.

In all fairness, it was a questionable way to end his initial post and I feel unnecessary. Players in every league have "policed" themselves by throwing at hitters since the game was invented. Race had nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 1