Bring up Mayo already!!

7 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but those look like routine plays for a ML third baseman to me. Those are not exactly Machado-five-feet-in-foul territory snatches and throws. 

The throws were pretty routine, but both of those balls were smashed and Mayo was playing in for the second one. While they weren't tough throws, you can see the arm is special. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The throws were pretty routine, but both of those balls were smashed and Mayo was playing in for the second one. While they weren't tough throws, you can see the arm is special. 

One of the scariest moments of my life was going from playing SS my whole life then getting moved to 3B in high school and having to play even with the bag the first time.  I still remember how close that batter looked 15 years later.  

I quickly learned that as a SS you pick the hop but at 3rd the hop picks you.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

The ball almost hit him. It was a hot shot, but it was right to him. If Urias misses a play like that, then half the board goes nuts.  

My point was the runner would have beaten out a weaker throw. A lot of 3bs don't get the runner on that play. If you are going to criticize him for average play at third, give him credit when he does something above average. That throw was clearly above average.

Edited by bluedog

40 minutes ago, bluedog said:

My point was the runner would have beaten out a weaker throw. A lot of 3bs don't get the runner on that play. If you are going to criticize him for average play at third, give him credit when he does something above average. That throw was clearly above average.

I’m not criticizing him. I just think it was a play ML 3B make routinely. The throw was strong, but I think most ML 3B make that play look a lot easier. He was not exactly cat-like in his movements/getting up. Again, just my opinion. 

We have an off day to give Mounty an extra days rest. We have an off day next Monday as well with the ASB looming. Mounty is close to making the ASG so I doubt he wants to hit the IL. 

Meaning a RP would have to go for Mayo. I think we’re trying to keep Urias this season and move on from him in the offseason. Mayo is on target to be added as our extra player in September unless we have an injury. 

It sure would be nice to bring Mayo up and let him get a ton of ABs to be ready for the playoffs. 

At the end of the day, what’s worth more?  Urias as an insurance policy that shouldn’t get ABs in the playoffs, or developing Mayo that should get playoff ABs?  

If we put Mounty on the IL he’d be back next Weds, and he’d only miss one start versus a LH SP in Oakland. It might be a good chance to take a look at Mayo. 

It would probably be better to start LH Kjerstad and O’Hearn against the Seattle SP and roll with Mayo at 3B and Westburg at 2B. That would be our best LH offensive lineup. 

For the Seattle series

1. Gunnar SS L

2. Adley C S

3. Santa RF S

4. O’Hearn 1B L

5. Kjerstad DH L

6. Westburg 2B R

7. Cowser RF L

8. Mayo 3B R

9. Mullins CF L

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have an off day to give Mounty an extra days rest. We have an off day next Monday as well with the ASB looming. Mounty is close to making the ASG so I doubt he wants to hit the IL. 

Meaning a RP would have to go for Mayo. I think we’re trying to keep Urias this season and move on from him in the offseason. Mayo is on target to be added as our extra player in September unless we have an injury. 

It sure would be nice to bring Mayo up and let him get a ton of ABs to be ready for the playoffs. 

At the end of the day, what’s worth more?  Urias as an insurance policy that shouldn’t get ABs in the playoffs, or developing Mayo that should get playoff ABs?  

With all due respect … I think you are counting on Mayo to come up and immediately perform. I don’t think it’s realistic… possible yes. But, most guys have an adjustment. If it’s one thing we’ve seen from Hyde is the reluctance to give regular time to the rookies. Didn’t see it with Stowers, Norby, etc.

They did  give it to Holliday but I think there was pressure being put on him to do so. 

You think he would replace Urias who doesn’t play everyday with Mayo and sit the other guys to play him every day which is what a player needs during that adjustment period? 

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

With all due respect … I think you are counting on Mayo to come up and immediately perform. I don’t think it’s realistic… possible yes. But, most guys have an adjustment. If it’s one thing we’ve seen from Hyde is the reluctance to give regular time to the rookies. Didn’t see it with Stowers, Norby, etc.

They did  give it to Holliday but I think there was pressure being put on him to do so. 

You think he would replace Urias who doesn’t play everyday with Mayo and sit the other guys to play him every day which is what a player needs during that adjustment period? 

I guess the question to that is when do you want them to struggle? I think struggling when you don’t really have an internal option “Urias” is as good of time as ever. We can’t put off prospects struggling until they are 26 years old. Still hasn’t worked for Stowers.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This is just incredibly impressive.  These numbers are much more exciting than his traditional stat line.  Looking at these numbers, I'd say he's a safer bet to hit in the majors than even Holliday, and definitely untouchable in a trade....at least I hope so...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Otter said:

This is just incredibly impressive.  These numbers are much more exciting than his traditional stat line.  Looking at these numbers, I'd say he's a safer bet to hit in the majors than even Holliday, and definitely untouchable in a trade....at least I hope so...

Mayo might be the best power hitting prospect in team history in terms of his raw power and how good is swing is in the minors.