Cedric en fuego!!

theobird

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is it my imagination or does Ryan O’Hearn go to LF quite a bit?   I’m not familiar with what type of hitter he was before the ban but the current O’Hearn doesn’t strike me as an extreme pull hitter who might be affected by the ban as much as some other LH hitters.   

This may be over-simplifying things, but in 2021 O'Hearn wOBA'd .432 when not shifted, .350 in '22, .358 in '23, and .418 so far this year. Really good all four years. With the shift in '21-22 his numbers were .243 and .249, or basically Kiko Garcia. This year and last with much less extreme shifting it's .329 and .319.

• Thanks 1

I need to see more than two and a half weeks of good performance to declare that the "old Mullins" is back.  However, his swing does look much more direct to the ball right now and he's managed to level it out.  .386/.407/.709 in 17 games dating back to June 9, raising his OPS from .522 to .664 in that stretch.   Still a ways to go to get over the 100 OPS+ mark.

Mullins, Hays and Urias all have dug themselves out of very large holes.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I need to see more than two and a half weeks of good performance to declare that the "old Mullins" is back.  However, his swing does look much more direct to the ball right now and he's managed to level it out.  .386/.407/.709 in 17 games dating back to June 9, raising his OPS from .522 to .664 in that stretch.   Still a ways to go to get over the 100 OPS+ mark.

Just waiting for Ced to break the .700 barrier.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

How do I read this? It's not blue or red horizontal bars. I don't know how else to form an opinion!!

I know.  There was no commentary.  Just the chart.  It’s like the books I read.  All pictures.  No words.  They’re great but sometimes I’m confused.  😯

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Credit to the two headed hitting coach?

It is always great to see good players make an adjustment. When these three players hit their value to the team is augmented by their respective defensive prowess. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Santander has an OPS+ of 128 and a wRC+ of 125. In other words, at or near his career peak, and better than Cal or Brooks' career marks. A 128 OPS+ would be Nick Markakis' second-best offensive season.

MLB overall batting average this year is .242, 5th-lowest of all time. League OBP of .311 is in the bottom 15% since 1900. And while slugging will probably inch up through the summer, the current mark of .393 is lower than any season since 1992.

My guess is that they juice the ball next year, since the shift ban hasn't really had much of an overall effect. Even if it's revived a few careers like Ryan O'Hearn's.

That's a striking reveal of the low offense numbers in context, @DrungoHazewood. What's your best guess to account for it?

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Yep … but because of his spring swoon his OPS is .664. So he’d be back to respectable numbers with a prolonged hot streak. 

Santander who previously got hot is still hitting around .223 and his OPS is just under .800. We can argue he’s rebounded but it would be better if he was hitting.265-.285.

I may not be looking at his fairly since Cedric was my favorite current Oriole for a few years and is still right up there. But I don't care about his currenrt numbers, or his season numbers that reflect what he's done so far. He generated crap nummbers for about 40 perecent of the season, and the Orioles were able to survive his weak hitting, with some help from his defense and speed, pretty well.

What matters now is what Cedric will contribute over the rest of the season (including the playoffs). His recent streak is cause for optimism, and he certainly should be the starting CF most games as long as he's not a hole at the bottom of the lineup -- not sure where I'd draw that line. 

13 minutes ago, now said:

That's a striking reveal of the low offense numbers in context, @DrungoHazewood. What's your best guess to account for it?

Unchecked move to max effort, high-spin rate pitches from the biggest, strongest, best conditioned pitchers of all time. They're still throwing from the same 60' 6" distance that Cy Young was throwing from in 1893 when he made 46 starts and threw 422 innings, striking out just 102. Teams have now, finally approached an endpoint of over well over 100 years of transitioning from all complete games all the time to "throw harder than you know is safe, as long as you can until we pull you in the 4th or your UCL snaps. Also, why does your sinker only have 15" of horizontal break, please go to Driveline and make that less embarrassing."

For the TLDR crowd: starters in 2024 are basically a jacked up 1984 Willie Hernandez, and relievers are an entirely different breed of madness.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's got an O's hat on for some reason.

I'd rather start by moving the mound back 3'. Smaller strike zone might result in batters still hitting .240-.250 but with more walks. I don't think I'm a huge fan of going from .242/.311/.393 to .248/.330/.400 and calling it a day.

The problem is pitchers throwing at 110% effort and a speed at a distance that even MLB batters have trouble reacting fast enough to counter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd rather start by moving the mound back 3'. Smaller strike zone might result in batters still hitting .240-.250 but with more walks. I don't think I'm a huge fan of going from .242/.311/.393 to .248/.330/.400 and calling it a day.

The problem is pitchers throwing at 110% effort and a speed at a distance that even MLB batters have trouble reacting fast enough to counter.

I'm still in favor of deadening the ball to encourage more contact and encourage pitchers to selectively pitch to contact.

But I have no idea what I'm talking about so it's probably a terrible idea.

I did think the bit about K rate going down was interesting.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still in favor of deadening the ball to encourage more contact and encourage pitchers to selectively pitch to contact.

But I have no idea what I'm talking about so it's probably a terrible idea.

I did think the bit about K rate going down was interesting.

For years my dad has been saying the balls are juiced. So, they take away PEDs and they'll find another way to tilt the scales for offense. Gotta keep the interest of fans who think baseball is boring. Same goes for most of the new rule changes.