Does Elias dare trade Hays at the deadline?

wildcard

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He isn't good enough to play for a contender, and doesn't make much sense for a rebuilding team. 

Of course he's good enough to play for a contender.   He played for one all last year.   He got off to an outrageously slow start this year, but his OPS+ is at 100 now and climbing rapidly.   A team like Seattle absolutely could use him.   Their OPS in the OF is below average in all three spots and they are one of the worst teams in MLB vs. LHP.   Hays would have plenty of value to a team like that.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just think when you factor in Hays' experience and comfort out there, and his excellent arm, knowing where to throw, etc, it's an easy call. Just my opinion. But I do agree that Norby could surprise out there if given an extended look. 

Good point on the experience and knowing where to throw the ball.  I watch other games and it seems like we’re better at hitting the cutoff guy and not allowing the runners to advance on run scoring hits.

The problem with trading Hays is that the value is so minimal right now. It is unlikely that you can get anything useful for him.

I know the OP has framed things in a way to view Hays for what he was. But the problem comes because other teams will be assessing him on what he is, which is not very good. There is really nothing about his game that is special/elite.

Even in is Allstar season his offensive numbers fell off a cliff in the second half, just like in 2022. And he appears to no longer be a good defensive player. He doesn’t get on base, he doesn’t hit for a lot of power, no does he have good speed. He can’t really handle LF that well anymore, why would anyone put him in CF? You see the Orioles aren’t.

The time for extracting the most value from Hays in a trade has passed unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course he's good enough to play for a contender.   He played for one all last year.   He got off to an outrageously slow start this year, but his OPS+ is at 100 now and climbing rapidly.   A team like Seattle absolutely could use him.   Their OPS in the OF is below average in all three spots and they are one of the worst teams in MLB vs. LHP.   Hays would have plenty of value to a team like that.

I think it's easy for a lot of folks to forget that all contenders have a few players that are struggling or below average at the plate. That's just baseball.

I mean look at the Yankees. They are starting either Oswaldo Cabrera or DJ LeMahieu at 3B. They have a 76 and 32 OPS+, respectively. Trevino and Wells are sub 100 OPS+ at catcher. Same is true at 2B with Torres and Jahmai Jones. 

Given that, it kind of feels like a nice luxury to have a 100 OPS+ outfielder on the bench. 

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If SEA is looking to upgrade their offense it is very likely that they are going to want (and probably be able to get) a better player than Hays.

I can’t see Hays headlining a trade for one of their SPs or even a good bullpen arm at this point. Unfortunately it appears that the first half of 2023 may have been his peak.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Hays’ Savant page is a sea of very pale blue, which I think means,” he doesn’t qualify yet but if he did he would suck.”

IMG_1740.jpeg

And yet good enough for league average. Offense is down across the league. We are in a luxurious bubble. I wonder what those bars would look like just for his last month.

@Bemorewins said it so well, I’m going to rephrase it and repeat it so I can take credit.

Hays is declining. He has some value, but not enough to return anything meaningful in a trade, not even if he’s a throw-in. Unless he’s considered to be blocking someone better here(which doesn’t seem to be the opinion of the Powers) he might as well remain here.

Same for Urias. Almost anyone would love to have him. He’d be quite welcome on the Yankees, for instance. But no one is going to pay anything meaningful for him. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

.  .  .  The Os really need to deal some of the vets off of this team.

Unless one of Cowser, Heston or Stowers wakes up one morning as a RHed batter or switch hitter, I don't think the veteran OFs are going anywhere.

Urias and Mateo are a different story. One of them should go tp clear a roster spot. For me, Urias is an easy choice to be the one sent packing, whether with nothing in return or a lottery-ticket pitching prospect who throws hard (or two), but I understand that others disagree. And maybe they're both gone. One of the unknowables about this team is whether Jackson Holliday can be a useful part of it later this season.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

@Bemorewins said it so well, I’m going to rephrase it and repeat it so I can take credit.

Hays is declining. He has some value, but not enough to return anything meaningful in a trade, not even if he’s a throw-in. Unless he’s considered to be blocking someone better here(which doesn’t seem to be the opinion of the Powers) he might as well remain here.

Same for Urias. Almost anyone would love to have him. He’d be quite welcome on the Yankees, for instance. But no one is going to pay anything meaningful for him. 

I’ll do you one better. Let’s say that a contending team is open to the very rare contender to contender trade with the Orioles. When they look at the O’s organization and all the talent that exists in it, why would they be willing to settle on acquiring two of our worst players and then give up anything that does not equate to some of their worst? Especially SEA or any AL contender who have designs on defeating us in the Fall? Austin Hays nor Urias are difference making players in any way. That is all we can reasonably expect to get back for either or both. Players who won’t make much of a difference/move the needle. Which really equates to a lateral move and not an upgrade IMO.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

He isn't good enough to play for a contender, and doesn't make much sense for a rebuilding team. He does have an option. I basically don't care what happens to Hays, whether he stays on the bench as a 5th OF, gets traded, or demoted, I really don't care. I wonder if he could be the guy to go for Mayo even if Mayo doesn't play RF.

This is a possibility. The Orioles don't lack in outfield depth and Mullins has rebounded securing his role as the starting CF. Also Hays' defense has dropped off and the value he used to provide defensively is now largely gone. Plus Cowser even if he isn't hitting recently has been a plus defender in the outfield.

I don't see anything happening with Hays this season. The value returned in trading him isn't worth not having him as a backup option for LF/RF.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

Have not been thrilled with Hays this year, but to be fair he has dealt with a lot of injuries and illnesses. That even said, trading a RH OF bat when we are already very short on them to begin with, including in the minors? Yep makes total sense. 🤦‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If SEA is looking to upgrade their offense it is very likely that they are going to want (and probably be able to get) a better player than Hays.

I can’t see Hays headlining a trade for one of their SPs or even a good bullpen arm at this point. Unfortunately it appears that the first half of 2023 may have been his peak.

True. Hays' value in a trade for pitching would be as an add-on to a good or really good prospect(s).

If it wasn't for the awkwardness with Hays (who isn't going to be traded) I'd be all about adding Taylor Ward as our 3rd/4th OF who can play good defense and crush lefties from the RH. I don't think the Orioles will rock the boat this season though. Maybe trade him in the offseason?