Optimal position player roster for second half and playoffs?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Holliday has to force his way back into the 2024 conversation IMO.

This is how I feel, as well. 

Mayo has moved ahead of him in the call-up pecking order (even if likely still not in long-term prospect value), and assuming Mayo is coming up to play 3B, there’s nowhere in the starting IF where Holliday seems likely to make us better at the moment. He’d probably be better than Mateo, but I’m not sure an MLB utility role is the right choice for his long-term development. 

All of that is, of course, subject to change. And a lot of it is in Jackson’s hands: as you say, he could easily “force” his way back into the conversation by starting to demolish AAA again. But he’s not doing that right now, and until that changes, I think he’s on the outside looking in — at least until September.

• Upvote 2

I've mentioned this numerous times before, but the O's could --at some point-- try Holliday in CF.  My reasons are:

• If the O's are convinced Mayo is the future (or very near present), Westburg would most likely play 2B, leaving no infield spots for Holliday.
  • I believe Holliday has a solid arm and the athleticism to make the transition fairly smoothly, solving CF for many years to come.  As well, he could still play 2B or even SS on occasion.
  • I don't have faith that Bradfield will become our starter in the next couple of seasons.
  • I prefer Cowser in LF.
  • Mullins may or may not be back next year, pending whether he plays well enough in the 2nd half.
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Trusting 2 rookies, one who was not good in his brief stay in MLB and has also been hurt, and one who is marginal at 3B and inexperienced at 1B, seems very risky defensively. I'm not sure Elias would put Holiday and Mayo on a team going to the playoffs given their defensive limitations. I could be mistaken.

That OF is very left handed, with the exception of Santander. I still think Luis Robert makes this team so much better than just about any other player you could add. If he's healthy. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-robert-jr-trade-fits-2024

Which he never is so

I understand @Sports Guy ‘s thinking here. If Adley/Basallo are your C/DH next year, Holliday is at 2B, Mounty has more trade value than O’Hearn, but even with all that… can we really move on from Santa and Mounty in the offseason? It sounds plausible, and that could be our Burnes money, but that is a lot to move on from on a b2b 100 win team. 

It just is. But I can see the thinking. Use the saved money from Mounty/Santa for Burnes’ 2025 salary. Then trade Mounty for a SP. The 2025 rotation would then be Burnes, Grayson, Traded for SP, Irvin, Povich. Kremer and Suarez in the mix as well. 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg's defense at 2B has fallen off according to most metrics, so that could be part of the concern. Right now, Elias may not want to theoretically downgrade defense at 3B and 2B. I feel like Westburg would be better at 2B if he played there full-time, or at least I'm hoping so.

I wouldn't call it falling off because he didn't grade particularly well there last year either.  Meanwhile he's been +8 in OAA at 3rd.

His 2nd base numbers do feel a little off, he didn't look that bad there.

9 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I've mentioned this numerous times before, but the O's could --at some point-- try Holliday in CF.  My reasons are:

• If the O's are convinced Mayo is the future (or very near present), Westburg would most likely play 2B, leaving no infield spots for Holliday.
  • I believe Holliday has a solid arm and the athleticism to make the transition fairly smoothly, solving CF for many years to come.  As well, he could still play 2B or even SS on occasion.
  • I don't have faith that Bradfield will become our starter in the next couple of seasons.
  • I prefer Cowser in LF.
  • Mullins may or may not be back next year, pending whether he plays well enough in the 2nd half.

Thank you for your advocacy for Jackson on CF position.  My reasons almost same as yours .  Having said that , Jackson should also work on 2B .  There’s too many players and limited positions , ABs have to be rationed as well.  The upcoming deadline will likely reveal who’s staying and who’s leaving.  In the meantime , they should let Jackson heal any injuries and refine his positional skills 

8 hours ago, Hallas said:

I wouldn't call it falling off because he didn't grade particularly well there last year either.  Meanwhile he's been +8 in OAA at 3rd.

Westburg’s lack of lateral quickness has been pointed out there.  Then again, everyone will look less quick when compared to Mateo.

I think Mayo’s more of a 3B/1B with us. Position versatility. That’s not a knock on him at 3B, but that we like players in different positions to match up. Mayo is no different. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

14 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

• I prefer Cowser in LF.

At some point …just not now. Holliday clearly needs more time. I think Mullins goes with his expiring contract. Bradfield has a a .726 OPS at A ball but doesn’t appear to me that he’s going to hit for power. That said I’d expect he’s going to head to AA soon. So perhaps AAA next season and the Os likely in 26. He has 39 stolen bases in 52 games. If he can take over the lead off role Gunnar can slot in the 3 hole.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

At some point …just not now. Holliday clearly needs more time. I think Mullins goes with his expiring contract. Bradfield has a a .726 OPS at A ball but doesn’t appear to me that he’s going to hit for power. That said I’d expect he’s going to head to AA soon. So perhaps AAA next season and the Os likely in 26. He has 39 stolen bases in 52 games. If he can take over the lead off role Gunnar can slot in the 3 hole.

While I love OPS, it isn’t a great measurable for Bradfield, especially compared to some of our other guys. He will never have that awe inspiring OPS because he won’t carry the slugging, which is the part of the stat that makes the OPS jump. I would argue that if he has a .800 OPS in the bigs he’s a superstar. If he is at .750 he wi be a really productive player for us.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

EBJ is looking like a 9th place hitter with elite defense and elite speed.  The Jorge Mateo of CF.  Our lineup can carry that.  EBJ is also LH.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

EBJ is looking like a 9th place hitter with elite defense and elite speed.  The Jorge Mateo of CF.  Our lineup can carry that.  EBJ is also LH.  

The Orioles lineup should only improve over the next couple years so carrying an elite gold glove CF who might not hit very well is reasonable. Plus if Kjerstad is playing the outfield Bradfield can help cover some of the ground that Kjerstad cannot reach.

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2024 at 9:10 PM, Hallas said:

He had a really bad week where he made three errors at 2B June 10-16. Otherwise he’s looked fine there, though Mateo is better.  

You get a 26 man roster in the playoffs no matter if it’s for a best of 3, 5, or 7 man series. So as far as position players available you’d have,

3 game series - 15

5 games series - 14

7 game series - 14

My 5/7 game series roster of 14 position players would look like this,

vs RHP

1. Gunnar SS L

2. Adley C S

3. Santa RF S

4. O’Hearn DH L

5. Mountcastle 1B R

6. Kjerstad LF L

7. Westburg 3B R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Mateo 2B R

McCann, Cowser, Urias, Mayo, EBJ

- Holliday could beat out Urias, maybe even start over Mateo. He’s got a chance.

- Mayo could beat out Mountcastle, or he could bump Westburg to 2B.

- EBJ is our Terrance Gore for this postseason.