What makes Basallo so untouchable?

CP0861

3 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

"He has great offensive numbers"

Does he? He's at .281/.800 OPS right now with 11 home runs and a whopping 24xbh's. That's not great. How is that elite power? Elite potential maybe, but his actual numbers this year are not elite or great.

Great offensive numbers for a 19-year old in AA, is the key additive here. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A #2 or #3 starter with a couple years of control for Basallo? You may well be trading someone like Carlos Delgado for two years of a pretty good starter. It would take more than that for me.

I love Basallo, but he's got a ways to go to get to Carlos Delgado.  I love that comp for him, but he still has to move up a couple levels and keep up the production.  Taking off the orange colored glasses and looking at it impartially, an established MLB #2 or #3 starter (who has already proven his worth at the ML level) is a very reasonable return for a top 20 prospect.

Just now, RZNJ said:

What is his innings cap?

Answer -  A totally arbitrary  number the team decides upon with Crochet and his agents approval. 

Lol, oh, I didn't say I agree with it, but the Orioles aren't that different from other teams and I certainly think that factors into his risk profile if he's a consideration.

3 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

"He has great offensive numbers"

Does he? He's at .281/.800 OPS right now with 11 home runs and a whopping 24xbh's. That's not great. How is that elite power? Elite potential maybe, but his actual numbers this year are not elite or great.

There is a lot wrong with what you are saying but you need to consider that he missed most of ST and April was essentially his ST, so it has hurt his overall numbers but he has been on a tear since then.

3 minutes ago, Otter said:

I love Basallo, but he's got a ways to go to get to Carlos Delgado.  I love that comp for him, but he still has to move up a couple levels and keep up the production.  Taking off the orange colored glasses and looking at it impartially, an established MLB #2 or #3 starter (who has already proven his worth at the ML level) is a very reasonable return for a top 20 prospect.

Can you name the last #2 and especially #3 starter who netted a top 20 prospect?

Would you feel Basallo for Dean Kremer?

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Lol, oh, I didn't say I agree with it, but the Orioles aren't that different from other teams and I certainly think that factors into his risk profile if he's a consideration.

It appears it's more of a Crochet thing.

The report also suggests any team that trades for him might have to negotiate an extension to get Crochet to agree to lift a workload limitation in the second half of the season.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

Woo is hurt, Miller has a 6 ERA, they have 3 starters they can rely on, they aren't trading any of them. They are linked to Fedde among others.

Where are you getting your Miller stats? I’m seeing 3.88 ERA with 1.05 WHIP. Which would make him arguably our second best pitcher.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why use player ages?  Because those are his peers. Those are guys that are physically and mentally more mature. To dominate them at a far younger age is something you rarely see. Again, we have seen the lists on here of his stats at age 19 and how they compare to all time and current great players. 

Age is huge in this.

And yes, those guys were there at young ages too…and they are all special elite level talents. That’s what Elias has built. 

He's in AA at a young age and doing well, but he's not dominating. He's just not.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

The report also suggests any team that trades for him might have to negotiate an extension to get Crochet to agree to lift a workload limitation in the second half of the season.

Fascinating. Don't really see that ultimatum working out for him or the White Sox if true. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

How does that work?  Does he just refuse to pitch?  That would go over well.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Can you name the last #2 and especially #3 prospect who netted a top 20 prospect?

Not off the top of my head.  You don't think an established #2 ML starting pitcher with 2+ years control is worth a top 20 prospect?  I'm not saying I'd definitely do that (it would depend on the pitcher), but I'd certainly consider it.  We have a huge dropoff in talent after our top prospects, so that really limits the quality of pitching we get back if we don't trade any top prospects.  By no means do I want to trade Basallo, it's just hard for me to see a scenario where we can get impact pitching without trading one of our top guys.  I don't think Norby, Beavers, DeLeon, etc. get us someone who moves the needle that much.

1 minute ago, CP0861 said:

He's in AA at a young age and doing well, but he's not dominating. He's just not.

He has dominated previously and like I said, his numbers are suppressed by a slow start due to an injury in ST where he had little ST time.

I mean, you come on here and ask why we value him so highly, we provide you with all the reasons, including some historical data and you just want to dismiss it.

Why the ask the question if you don’t want an answer?

• Upvote 2