So, who WOULD you trade?

Roy Firestone

14 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Holliday should be the one to be traded

He still has the shine of being the #1 prospect, but I don't think that lofty rating would be met by a 2B. Someone who likes him at SS should be willing to give up the type of pitching talent the O's need.

With Gunner, Westburgh, Norby, and Mayo we don't need an infielder and we need to trade big to get the necessary return

Who does trading Holliday get the O's? 

I would think if you were trading a prospect of that caliber you would expect to receive quite a bit back. 

It seems to me that the deadline may be the worst time to trade an asset like Holliday.

What's the return for Holliday? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Who does trading Holliday get the O's? 

I would think if you were trading a prospect of that caliber you would expect to receive quite a bit back. 

It seems to me that the deadline may be the worst time to trade an asset like Holliday.

What's the return for Holliday? 

The return has to be enough pitching to make the O's WS favorites. I don't know who that is or if it is available, just saying Holliday is the guy that could get that kind of return, and quite frankly he is redundant on this roster and/or will be underutilized as a 2B (assuming that he could stick as a ML SS)

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Agree. Trade Mountcastle, let Mayo/OHearn share 1B, where they’d be a Lh/FH Tandem and Mayo’s defense wouldn’t be as troublesome, let Mayo stay at 3B, Holliday 2B, and Mateo as Swiss Army Knife.

easy peasy.

Exactly, but I hope you meant Westburg at 3B and Mayo at 1B ? Trade Mounty and Urias to facilitate these moves and break the logjam 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You have Holliday to play second and Mayo to play third.  Losing Westburg would be preferable over lose either of those guys.

That said, I don’t think you trade during the season but if the Tigers offered us Skubal and they wanted Westburg or Mayo, Westburg is the player I’m trading.

SG , in one of your posts, you mentioned a ‘ Silent J ‘ .  I’ve seen few other guys too . May I ask who is Silent J  refer to ?

4 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

SG , in one of your posts, you mentioned a ‘ Silent J ‘ .  I’ve seen few other guys too . May I ask who is Silent J  refer to ?

Next time Kjerstad plays, look at his elbow pad he uses when he hits. On the strap it says Silent J. Obvious nickname for him and a good one I think.

• Upvote 1

Just getting caught up here, so my first reaction to trading JW is NOOOOOO!

However, I think most people around baseball would have to agree that he's a dude. He's become my favorite Oriole just because of his approach at the plate and also his workman-like attitude. Leaving out my preferences and putting on my front office hat I have to admit he would be attractive to other teams for his ability to play three positions in the IF and his steady performance with the bat. And unlike Holliday, he's proven himself. 

While Holliday is the more high profile guy to other teams I'm not sure he's seen as more valuable. JW can play SS-has the arm for it-and he's versatile. I think Holliday could learn to play 2B but has neither the arm for 3B or SS. He likely has more range and as earlier stated by another poster, some team may want to try him at SS. Maybe that works, maybe it doesn't. 

I feel like I'm making the case to keep JW and trade JH. Back to the question, which guy gets the Orioles what they need to be the favorite going into the playoffs? Number one pick or a guy who's a ML starter right now? Let's set that aside, maybe it's either one. Can either of them get us Skubal in the right package? Yes. That's the guy who IS a ML pitcher and who will move the needle.

What's the package? Elias has earned some level of respect with the Burnes trade and the trade that sent Bundy to the Angels when Elias first arrived. That one was even more evidence of his ability to read the tea leaves. So, I trust he'll make it work. I may not like the immediate results (i.e. trading Westy or Kjerstad), but if he can get Skubal in the right deal I'd make the deal. But Scherzer is a good back up and won't cost nearly as much.

Edited by Il BuonO
  • Upvote 1