Crochet trade proposal

Crochet was the #55 ranked prospect in 2021 before getting hurt. That said, he wasn't a starter at the time. He was an excellent reliever. 

That said, after injury, he was pretty lackluster last year. There really weren't any indicators he was going to be converted into a starter until around January of this year when their GM came out and said as much. I severely doubt they thought he was going to be this good. He's most likely going to need to be shutdown this month. Yeah, they could trade him, but why not wait until you have more teams in the fold instead of just the contenders? I suppose they could only go after folks that are desperate, but their pool of suitors is smaller and I don't think contenders are going to be desperate to bring in somebody who can't really help them this year. It'd be the long game. 

They really should just wait. They're only dangling him to see if some sucker is going to overpay.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Crochet was the #55 ranked prospect in 2021 before getting hurt. That said, he wasn't a starter at the time. He was an excellent reliever. 

That said, after injury, he was pretty lackluster last year. There really weren't any indicators he was going to be converted into a starter until around January of this year when their GM came out and said as much. I severely doubt they thought he was going to be this good. He's most likely going to need to be shutdown this month. Yeah, they could trade him, but why not wait until you have more teams in the fold instead of just the contenders? I suppose they could only go after folks that are desperate, but their pool of suitors is smaller and I don't think contenders are going to be desperate to bring in somebody who can't really help them this year. It'd be the long game. 

They really should just wait. They're only dangling him to see if some sucker is going to overpay.

He pitched 12.2 innings last year after not pitching since 2021. I'm not sure I'd call his year lackluster.

3 hours ago, Malike said:

It's embarrassingly bad.

I’m not saying his numbers are nt valuable…he just has too many warts for my liking and Mike’s. I’ve compared the package for Cease. Who many were expecting two blue chippers! It clearly didn’t happen. Someone might this time but it won’t be us imo …or the Yankees since they already said no to dealing their #74 overall prospect in Jones.

Edited by Roll Tide

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I love fans that argue against their team being improved.

Argue …. I said I’m not trading one of our top 100 prospects for a pitcher that has one half  a season out of 5 where he’s been a stud pitch. Mostly due to injuries. 

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Some writers believe he'll be the best starter available and will net a much better return than you surmised.  You could be proven right, though, in time.  We'll see.

So we know it’s very likley Elias has already said no to one of the big 3 or 4 if your counting Kjerstad and Noby plus.

The Yankees through Heyman already said they aren’t dealing their #2 prospect #74 over all Spencer Jones 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you'd rather go into the playoffs with what they have now?

Cool.

Then give up one of Holiday, Mayo, Basallo , or Kjerstad plus for a pitcher that’s pitched 90 innings in 4 seasons before this year? Yes

But, I’d do some other stuff that won’t cost that …. Scherzer, Fedde, Woo, and some thirty something relievers like the Rays have in Kelly and Clevinger.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What pitcher would you say is worth paying up for?

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Burnes …we already have him. It’s time to pony up the dough. Of guys available probably none.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Then give up one of Holiday, Mayo, Basallo , or Kjerstad plus for a pitcher that’s pitched 90 innings in 4 seasons before this year? Yes

But, I’d do some other stuff that won’t cost that …. Scherzer, Fedde, Woo, and some thirty something relievers like the Rays have in Kelly and Clevinger.

So you'd "pay up" for Scherzer and those other names?

Why didn't you just say that when I asked?

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So we know it’s very likley Elias has already said no to one of the big 3 or 4 if your counting Kjerstad and Noby plus.

The Yankees through Heyman already said they aren’t dealing their #2 prospect #74 over all Spencer Jones 

Traditionally, a lot of things are said leading up to the trade deadline that turn out to be bogus, non-credible, or at least intentionally deceitful.   We don't really know anything.  Still, it is fun to speculate.  :)   I try my best to figure out what makes sense and see through what I determine is nonsense.  In regards to whether I'm right all the time; I thought I was wrong, once, but it turns out I was mistaken. 🤣

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you'd "pay up" for Scherzer and those other names?

Why didn't you just say that when I asked?

I’m not giving up value for high risk guys. I’m hoping they can get a starter and a couple of relievers. If Seattle was dealing I’d give up value for Gilbert or Kirby. Just not a guy that has pitched 1 seasons worth of innings over 5 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Traditionally, a lot of things are said leading up to the trade deadline that turn out to be bogus, non-credible, or at least intentionally deceitful.   We don't really know anything.  Still, it is fun to speculate.  :)   I try my best to figure out what makes sense and see through what I determine is nonsense.  In regards to whether I'm right all the time; I thought I was wrong, once, but it turns out I was mistaken. 🤣

Right or wrong , it’s fun to chat about the upcoming deadline. I think we can share and discuss any info or rumors to see what everyone’s thoughts 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Malike said:

He pitched 12.2 innings last year after not pitching since 2021. I'm not sure I'd call his year lackluster.

Oh, I know. I’m just saying you don’t, as an organization, bring a guy back from injury as a reliever and then convert him to a starter and then expect him to be the/one of the best starter(s) in baseball. Even in the innings in the minors, he wasn’t great. But that’s to be expected after missing so much time.

That said, trading for him now would be fool’s gold, use the prospect capital for somebody that can help you now. Crochet won’t be able to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Oh, I know. I’m just saying you don’t, as an organization, bring a guy back from injury as a reliever and then convert him to a starter and then expect him to be the/one of the best starter(s) in baseball. Even in the innings in the minors, he wasn’t great. But that’s to be expected after missing so much time.

That said, trading for him now would be fool’s gold, use the prospect capital for somebody that can help you now. Crochet won’t be able to.

Oh, I've been saying this for weeks. I agree.

• Upvote 1