Perfect time to make a roster move or two

eddie83

Brought this up in game thread. Send Povich down for an arm. Technically don’t need a 5th SP until SD series but based off how the Orioles like give guys an extra day they can start Irvin vs MIA.  Play a DH at home Mon July 30. Can call him back up then. Play 11 games before that DH. One start by Irvin vs MIA is worth an extra arm. 

I know he needs to be added to the 40 but Mayo could come up for Kjerstad. Concussion IL is 7 days. You have 4 days off at the break. If not Mayo then obviously Stowers, it makes no sense to take any chances for losing Heston 3 games at most. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Brought this up in game thread. Send Povich down for an arm. Technically don’t need a 5th SP until SD series but based off how the Orioles like give guys an extra day they can start Irvin vs MIA.  Play a DH at home Mon July 30. Can call him back up then. Play 11 games before that DH. One start by Irvin vs MIA is worth an extra arm. 

I know he needs to be added to the 40 but Mayo could come up for Kjerstad. Concussion IL is 7 days. You have 4 days off at the break. If not Mayo then obviously Stowers, it makes no sense to take any chances for losing Heston 3 games at most. 

If they sit Kjerstad for a few days for what could have warranted a  concussion protocol, it would make sense to bring up Mayo. I've said many times, I don't expect the kid to rake right away, but he could be a spark, could be a momentum changer. We don't know unless we make the move. It may not happen, but this could be the situation that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

Very good points here and I think they at least send Povich down. 

I mean he gave up 3 runs in 5 plus innings. If he got through the 6th it would be considered a QS. The bigger problem is the lack of offensive run support.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I mean he gave up 3 runs in 5 plus innings. If he got through the 6th it would be considered a QS. The bigger problem is the lack of offensive run support.

As I understand the OP, it’s just a move of convenience because we don’t need a 5th starter for a while.  When we need one, Povich can come back.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I understand the OP, it’s just a move of convenience because we don’t need a 5th starter for a while.  When we need one, Povich can come back.  

Correct.  Povich is literally wasting a roster right now, at least until he’s needed. 

Makes a lot of sense to option Povich until hes eligible to come back after the break, and if Kjerstad is going to sit these next two regardless then Concussion Protocol him and he wouldnt miss any extra time. I do agree that they would not call up Mayo, probably Stowers or Norby. 

I can honestly say that’s the first time I’ve ever heard the name Vinny Nattoli. I have to assume he’s a real player since that’s a Roch tweet but it’s odd because I typically at least have heard of these dudes before they get to the ML team. 

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I can honestly say that’s the first time I’ve ever heard the name Vinny Nattoli. I have to assume he’s a real player since that’s a Roch tweet but it’s odd because I typically at least have heard of these dudes before they get to the ML team. 

I think they are bringing up guys that they believe they can DFA without worrying about major loss

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Correct.  Povich is literally wasting a roster right now, at least until he’s needed. 

Well, depends on whether you want extra rest for the other 4 guys.