Will the Orioles offer Burnes a QO this off season ?

jem709

Will Orioles offer Burnes A QO this off season?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Will Orioles offer Burnes A QO this off season?

• Yes
    • No

A more important question is...

Will Santander put up good enough 2nd half stats that we offer him the QO and he turns it down?

I would like to get the pick for him AND see him get a nice 3 year deal for big money from another club, as he deserves it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not even sure you could offer Kimbrel one.

Kimbrel received a qualifying offer from the Red Sox before, which makes him ineligible for another one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If Burnes pitches well in September, it will be Burnes.  If he continues to pitch like he pitched in August, it will be Eflin.   Eflin-Suarez-Grayrod is a good big three for this year and next.  
    • DRAFTED and developed. Out of the guys you mentioned, only Bradish and Kramer would be guys I would call "developed" by the Orioles because they looked different when they arrived in the big leagues. Both Grayson and DL, both high school pitchers drafted by Rajsich in the first round, were already top prospects when Elias came on board.  Both have struggled with injuries at times since the Elias's crew came on board with their low pitch and innings counts, something they never had previously really. Well was a Rule 5 guy who made the team and pitched well in relief and then as a starter. He never came through the system besides rehabs. Bautista? Bautista was able to finally control his body and harnessed his control. If you want to count him, sure. But he was pretty much always a  fastball, slider guy who threw hard but with control/command issues.  The fact remains that the highest guy Elias ever drafted had to be traded to get major league pitching. So what did he do this year? Didn't draft a pitcher until the 4th round again and didn't draft another one until the 7th round. To me, it's totally reasonable to question the Orioles drafting and pitching development strategies. they have not worked very well and when they have (Baumeister helping to get Eflin) Elias went right back to his drafting college hitters in the first five rounds again.
    • Of course, and Elias is seeing how simplistic that is. Now we have to hope that he pivots to a better strategy. However, I have no idea what that strategy would be? A lot of hard, throwing highschoolers? Shortstops who can’t hit that you can convert to pitching? Find outstanding throwers among the Vikings of Norway? I haven’t a clue. That would actually be a fascinating subject for a thread. What matters, though, is that Mike agrees with the need for change.
    • Some of us have been saying all along that the idea that all you have to do is draft bats and trade the surplus for pitching was overly simplistic.
    • Exactly. If you have to surrender your few worthwhile pitching prospects in order to get something back that you need, doesn’t that indicate that the overall strategy is flawed?   i’m sure it’s way too early to think about next year‘s draft, but we’re going to have four choices in the first three rounds. here’s hoping for fresh wisdom in those choices
    • But none of this was the point of RZNJs post. The fact though that the organization had to give him minor league pitching, to get major league pitching, goes to show the importance of having good minor league pitching prospects in the first place.   
    • Do you really think anyone is basing their opinions ONLY on these two pitchers after they were traded? It's valid to question the Orioles pitching drafting and development because they have never drafted and developed a major league pitcher and Elias has been drafting since 2019.  The Orioles keep their pitchers on very strict pitch and innings counts, but still are having just as many injuries as any other minor league organization. These are just facts, not opinions.
  • Popular Contributors