O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

Just now, jabba72 said:

Rogers does fill a weakness in our #4 or #5 spot wherever Hyde wants to put him in. I like our rotation now. 

Really? Vavra? .800 OPS in Norfolk in 123 PA's.

Apparently you didn't notice the need for someone to play SS behind Gunnar. ;)

• Upvote 1

I know we needed pitching but Norby leaving and being replaced by Vavra really hurts. Can't wait to watch Norby and Ortiz start for NL All Star team as the double play combination in a few years. Who knows maybe Gunnar and Holliday will represent the AL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Some of you guys are gonna have to re-learn not to put Stowers and Norby in every single hypothetical trade from here on out.

Gotta come up with some trade idea to get them back, so we can shop them again. 

• Haha 3

If the Orioles had landed nobody we would have criticized Mike Elias for not doing enough to bolster the club. If he traded a top 3 prospect we would have questioned why he didn't include a different top prospect given our needs or we would have given up too many supplemental prospects. If the value of starters wasn't already high the Blue Jays haul increased the value of starting pitching. Relievers might be even higher to be honest. Be prepared for someone like Tanner Scott to cost Kjerstad and a prospect at the back-end of our top 10. This is what happens when MLB added that second wild card and more teams feel like they have a chance. I don't love the trade, I wish it were a better name, but you have to think that we are 100% out on the remaining top starting pitchers mentioned on the trade block.

• Upvote 3

This guy is a former first rounder. Former rookie of the year pitcher. Left hand pitcher in Birdland till 2027. Huge pick up. Last nine starts a little over 3 era. This is exactly what we needed and will be looked at as a huge move as we progress toward one of several World Series opportunities in the next ten years.

norby and Stowers did not have a spot on this team. This the virtue of drafting so well you have great players with no actual spots on a 25 man roster.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

I get some of the negative reaction to this price, but the fact is that a young SP with 2.5 years of control is an expensive trade commodity. Even if they are not a TOR. 

The negative reaction wouldn't have been as bad if Norby hadn't popped a couple homers and made a few plays in the field that made everyone go "What bad reports about his defense?!?!"

We'll see what Rogers can do for us.  I'm hoping Elias and Sig see something in his profile that make them think there's improvements that they can make.  I'm not upset about a lefty in Camden Yards, either.

I'm also excited because Kevin Brown will remind everyone that this guy was a 1st round draft pick in 2017.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nsw said:

This is the last day to get starting pitching; I think they saw what Povich has at present and don't see him as a viable option this year. If another SP gets hurt in the next couple of months, we are going to be glad we bought more depth. I'd love to see Skubal or Snell, but I'm glad we bought more pitching. Norby hurts a bit, but we're loaded in the infield; time to slather on the Mayo and go on Holliday!

Unless you think Rodgers slots in as one of your top 3 starters in the playoffs, how does he really help us in October?

And unless a player does that, what is the point of the acquisition?

I don't understand this trade at all if you are serious about trying to win a World Series.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

On the surface it's one good prospect and one okay prospect for a poor MLB starter. But if you look at it as potential impact at the major league level for the O's it could work out. There isn't a realistic role for Norby or Stowers even though they're knocking down the door... meanwhile there's a gaping hole in the rotation. Rogers is a lefty, has had one exceptional season in the majors three years ago (he's done it), is just 26 years old, has the pedigree of being the #12 overall draft pick, and is controllable for two more years.

Recent results are poor so I'm not excited about it... but we gave up two prospects we don't have jobs for in exchange for someone we really need if he can just live up to what he's capable of. Roll of the dice without giving up much in actuality.

Recent results are actually quite good over his last 9 starts. He has been a pretty good pitcher years prior, with one excellent season over 25 starts.